Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR meets Match Game  (Read 12656 times)

Brian44

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
For me, Punch-a-Bunch.  Don't get me wrong - I actually like the game a lot, but it's just that it's one of those games where a contestant can do everything right, and still come away with only $100
A contestant can play Secret "X" and Pass the Buck perfectly and win nothing!

...and make all wrong decisions in Pass the Buck, Let 'Em Roll, Stack the Deck and Hole in One, yet still win.

Also, if you win Pathfinder, the more mistakes you make, the more you win. You don't get a chance to price the SPs unless you mess up along the way. I've always argued that the contestant should get a chance to price the three SPs before they step to the numbers and be told that they can make up to X mistakes. Of course, time is more of a factor these days, but AFAIK, Pathy has always been played that way.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:44:54 PM by Brian44 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2011, 07:31:47 PM »

...and make all wrong decisions in Pass the Buck, Let 'Em Roll, Stack the Deck and Hole in One, yet still win.

Issues I have with that point:

1) Considering that you win something as long as you don't pick LOSE EVERYTHING in Pass the Buck, even if you don't necessarily win the car, it seems to me that you aren't guaranteed a win if you make "all wrong decisions" because the possibility exists that you can make a right pick and then pick LOSE EVERYTHING twice and lose, doesn't it? That's really the only wrong decision.

2) Hole in One's a game based more on physical skill than anything. Remember, the pricing aspect plays second fiddle to the putting. You could play the game perfectly and miss the short putt.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »

Technically, not quite...if a Pass the Buck contestant prices both groceries correctly, they're guaranteed to win at least $1000.

Not necessarily.  They could hit Lose Everything, then $1,000 and then the other Lose Everything.  Then they end up with nothing.

Mr. Armadillo

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »
Late to the party, I agree that Bonus Game doesn't seem to be relevant so long as Shell Game is in the rotation.
From a production standpoint, Bonus Game is much more useful, because all you have to do to force a loss is place an impossibly-devious SP next to the BONUS window.  Shell Game can't force a loss unless you do that with all four SP's.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2011, 12:10:18 PM »
because all you have to do to force a loss is place an impossibly-devious SP next to the BONUS window.
The term "force a loss" is not only pretty charged, but also pretty ludicrous when you are talking about a binary decision. If I can close my eyes, clap my hands over my ears, yell "LALALALALALALALA" during the description, and still have a 50% chance of being correct, you're not doing a whole lot of "forcing."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2011, 12:18:18 PM »
because all you have to do to force a loss is place an impossibly-devious SP next to the BONUS window.
The term "force a loss" is not only pretty charged, but also pretty ludicrous when you are talking about a binary decision.
I think that most people can agree that there's a big difference between using a pair of designer shoes that most of the common folk have never heard of and the Libman Wonder Mop.  Its easier to ascertain a correct answer from the mop over the shoes.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2011, 01:00:58 PM »
I think that most people can agree that there's a big difference between using a pair of designer shoes that most of the common folk have never heard of and the Libman Wonder Mop.  Its easier to ascertain a correct answer from the mop over the shoes.
And when the player has no idea of the price of the item...it's still a coin toss. You are not going to be "forcing" jack over squat when the WORST you can reduce the odds to is 50-50.

/and I couldn't tell you what a Wonder Mop costs, either

Mr. Armadillo

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »
If I have an $81 electric toothbrush in the Prize Vault (and Roger actually did for a time), and ask random people whether the correct price of it is higher or lower than $69, I would be very surprised if 50% of the people surveyed came up with the correct answer.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:01:00 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

clemon79

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »
If I have an $81 electric toothbrush in the Prize Vault (and Roger actually did for a time), and ask random people whether the correct price of it is higher or lower than $69, I would be very surprised if 50% of the people surveyed came up with the correct answer.
Which is funny, because the only clue I would have towards what an electric toothbrush costs is that I know the Sonicare ones are around $100, so I'd probably go higher.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point. I just don't think it's statistically significant when you combine a binary decision with the idiots they cast as contestants these days.

Clay Zambo

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
I think it is interesting that people tolerate Squeeze Play but loathe Pick-a-Number, even though they're both the same idea.

I never thought of that, but of course you're right.

Must have something to do with the fact that one has a cool prop and a scrunchy sound effect and the other is, well, as discussed elsewhere in this thread, unattractive.
czambo@mac.com

Mr. Armadillo

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
Which is funny, because the only clue I would have towards what an electric toothbrush costs is that I know the Sonicare ones are around $100, so I'd probably go higher.
You're right, that was a worse example than I thought.  I just Googled 'electric toothbrush', and the three results that came up under the 'Shop for 'electric toothbrush'' heading came up as $2, $95, and $19.  I assumed that most people were like me and would only be aware of the two of those three on the shelves as Wal-Mart.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:31:32 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

Brian44

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »

Issues I have with that point:

1) Considering that you win something as long as you don't pick LOSE EVERYTHING in Pass the Buck, even if you don't necessarily win the car, it seems to me that you aren't guaranteed a win if you make "all wrong decisions" because the possibility exists that you can make a right pick and then pick LOSE EVERYTHING twice and lose, doesn't it? That's really the only wrong decision.

2) Hole in One's a game based more on physical skill than anything. Remember, the pricing aspect plays second fiddle to the putting. You could play the game perfectly and miss the short putt.

I'm 100% with you re: the Pass the Buck scenario. If you make all correct decisions and get LE on the first two picks, you are guaranteed nothing less than $1000, but of course if you pick anything less than the car, even if it's all 3 $ amounts, you still lose the game. Someone else here may have made the argument of the $1000 PtB guarantee; I wasn't trying to make that implication.

You can lose Hole in One if you putt from the line closest to the Hole and miss, but you are still guaranteed the $500 if you get that far.

IIRC, Let 'Em Roll is the only current game where you are guaranteed to win something from the onset. You could make all right or wrong pricing decisions but you will never walk away with less than $500. (You could also roll $7500, but it's still a loss if you don't get all 5 cars.) Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only other PGs where you were always guaranteed to win something have all been retired: Mystery Price, Give or Keep, Finish Line, Double Digits and Trader Bob. (Grocery Game gave out grocery supplies in its first four playings.)

In Temptation, I never really considered the 4 smaller prizes "gifts" because you still have to make the decision whether to keep them or go for the car. Same with the $2000 on the two free cards in Spelling Bee. You don't get the prizes or the cash if you go all the way for the car but don't win it.

Of all the above mentioned games, Secret X is the only one where you have no chance of winning anything at all if you make all wrong pricing decisions.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:58:17 PM by Brian44 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 06:55:25 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only other PGs where you were always guaranteed to win something have all been retired:
Any Number.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Brian44

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »
Any Number.
Thanks, Mark.

Also forgot about Money Game, which is easy to do the way Drew explains it these days. :/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:01:41 PM by Brian44 »

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 08:16:47 PM »
I'm 100% with you re: the Pass the Buck scenario. If you make all correct decisions and get LE on the first two picks, you are guaranteed nothing less than $1000, but of course if you pick anything less than the car, even if it's all 3 $ amounts, you still lose the game. Someone else here may have made the argument of the $1000 PtB guarantee; I wasn't trying to make that implication.

Obviously you didn't see my post a few posts back...

[quote name='NicholasM79']
Not necessarily. They could hit Lose Everything, then $1,000 and then the other Lose Everything. Then they end up with nothing.
[/quote]

Insert any amount, not just that $1,000 there, and you could still hit the second Lose Everything on the third pick.