Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another TPIR Change  (Read 31145 times)

Matt Ottinger

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2008, 09:59:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197845\' date=\'Sep 22 2008, 08:35 AM\']
Have you considered that perhaps Willy is also considerably more worried about the show than you are?
Just because you don't like the direction something is going doesn't mean you quit keeping tabs on it.[/quote]
Still, this appears to be another episode of Words Have Meanings. (A spinoff of Masters of the Obvious.)  If he's really going around (at several different points) saying he's never-ever-ever going to attend another taping, and then he keeps showing up at tapings, I think that's a fair point of ridicule.  Much like the celebrities who swore they'd move to Canada if George Bush got elected.  Or, for that matter, the senior George Bush saying something like "Read my lips, no new taxes."  

If you're going to make a simple, declarative statement to make some grand point, you are going to put yourself in a position to -- at the very least -- be teased when you go back on that statement.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'197849\' date=\'Sep 22 2008, 06:59 AM\']
If you're going to make a simple, declarative statement to make some grand point, you are going to put yourself in a position to -- at the very least -- be teased when you go back on that statement.
[/quote]
Well said. A similar comparison, in my opinion, is people who make grandiose exits from online forums, only to return again, sometimes mere days later. You can damn well bet they get some ridicule.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:21:43 PM by Kevin Prather »

BrandonFG

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2008, 02:14:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'197851\' date=\'Sep 22 2008, 01:21 PM\']
[/quote]
Well said. A similar comparison, in my opinion, is people who make grandiose exits from online forums, only to return again, sometimes mere days later. You can damn well bet they get some ridicule.
[/quote]
This offends me. I'm leaving this place forever! Screw you guys, I'm going home!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 02:14:17 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'197856\' date=\'Sep 22 2008, 11:14 AM\']
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'197851\' date=\'Sep 22 2008, 01:21 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
This offends me. I'm leaving this place forever! Screw you guys, I'm going home!
[/quote]
I've got $5 on 11:15am Pacific.

BrandonFG

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2008, 02:18:30 PM »
11:07 Pacific. Close enough.

What did I miss?

/Or 11:18 Invision time.
//I can see the future!
///Look out for that table!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 02:19:35 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Hastin

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2008, 02:59:28 PM »
Still, this appears to be another episode of Words Have Meanings. (A spinoff of Masters of the Obvious.)
[/quote]

So, Words Have Meanings...is a game of definitions?
-Hastin :)

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2008, 03:49:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'197861\' date=\'Sep 22 2008, 02:59 PM\']
Still, this appears to be another episode of Words Have Meanings. (A spinoff of Masters of the Obvious.)
[/quote]

So, Words Have Meanings...is a game of definitions?
[/quote]

Can anyone care to call Mr. Jim Perry for confirmation?
-Sanford

chad1m

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2008, 03:59:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'197861\' date=\'Sep 22 2008, 02:59 PM\']So, Words Have Meanings...is a game of definitions?[/quote]+5

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2008, 05:39:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'197861\' date=\'Sep 22 2008, 11:59 AM\']
So, Words Have Meanings...is a game of definitions?[/quote]
Christ, we were bound to find one *eventually.*

/bravo
//bravissimo
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2008, 08:48:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'197849\' date=\'Sep 22 2008, 09:59 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197845\' date=\'Sep 22 2008, 08:35 AM\']Have you considered that perhaps Willy is also considerably more worried about the show than you are?

Just because you don't like the direction something is going doesn't mean you quit keeping tabs on it.[/quote]Still, this appears to be another episode of Words Have Meanings. (A spinoff of Masters of the Obvious.)  If he's really going around (at several different points) saying he's never-ever-ever going to attend another taping, and then he keeps showing up at tapings, I think that's a fair point of ridicule.  Much like the celebrities who swore they'd move to Canada if George Bush got elected.  Or, for that matter, the senior George Bush saying something like "Read my lips, no new taxes."  

If you're going to make a simple, declarative statement to make some grand point, you are going to put yourself in a position to -- at the very least -- be teased when you go back on that statement.[/quote]
This is very true.  I really do think, though, that when Willy originally said that, he truly had no intention of ever going back.  Last week was more along the lines of, "Well, I have no electricity until God knows when, and I've got some free plane tickets...I may as well go out and see how much more they've managed to screw up."

TheLastResort

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2008, 09:53:34 PM »
That does it.  I've had enough of this forum.

I'm back.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 09:53:20 PM by TheLastResort »

Loogaroo

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »
The problem, though, is that Willy takes that negativity to the lot with him.

My group and I sat with him for a good half-hour on the first taping of the season, when all the ineligible audience members were weeded out of the line. Every word that came out of his mouth was about how much they'd ruined the show, how the staff doesn't enjoy working there anymore, how the Sunday tape dates were a sign of something ominous, how he's never coming back, etc.  There were 324 people in line for the show who were happy to be there and excited to see the new season, and Willy almost seemed intent on whizzing in everyone's punch bowl.

The only reason I bring this up is because I, as someone who attends tapings when the chance arises, found it incredibly rude and insensitive to find someone badmouthing the show to people who'd come from all across the country just to be there. It's like going to Disneyland and waiting in line at the Matterhorn in front of some guy who won't stop talking about how the place isn't the same since they got rid of Captain EO, and that he's never coming back because he knows they've got their sights set on putting in a video wall for the Country Bears show.

(And then read a month later that he has gone back - multiple times - and probably acted like a wet blanket in line each of those times too.)

If you're that pissed off about the show, then stop going to the tapings. All you accomplish is bringing everyone else down, and taking up a spot in line that could be used for someone who wants to be there.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 09:58:56 PM by Loogaroo »
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Matt Ottinger

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2008, 10:41:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197905\' date=\'Sep 22 2008, 08:48 PM\']This is very true.  I really do think, though, that when Willy originally said that, he truly had no intention of ever going back.  Last week was more along the lines of, "Well, I have no electricity until God knows when, and I've got some free plane tickets...I may as well go out and see how much more they've managed to screw up."[/quote]
And see, that's actually not the part I personally have a problem with.  If TPIR is something you feel passionate about, then I can completely get wanting to check it out, even if only to complain about all the awful changes.  (Though certainly Loogie makes a good point about why even THAT isn't such a cool thing to do.)  My problem is with the simple declarative statement in the first place.  When you say something like that then don't follow through, then no matter what you say from that point on, the impression you're leaving us with is that things must not be so bad after all.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2008, 11:22:45 PM »
We have officially debated this topic to death.

ClockGameJohn

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2008, 11:56:15 PM »
Nooo, it's only 22 pages.  :)