Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stosh Calls It Quits  (Read 28907 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2008, 03:12:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'190515\' date=\'Jul 10 2008, 11:19 AM\']
No, Chris. Stosh was silent about the matter. Stu had a little filibuster about it, though.[/quote]
OHHHHH. I thought you were talking about the Perfesser reading the board, not Stu. I follow now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2008, 03:19:57 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'190521\' date=\'Jul 10 2008, 03:12 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'190515\' date=\'Jul 10 2008, 11:19 AM\']
No, Chris. Stosh was silent about the matter. Stu had a little filibuster about it, though.[/quote]
OHHHHH. I thought you were talking about the Perfesser reading the board, not Stu. I follow now.
[/quote]
Looking back at my post, I worded it vaguely. My apologies.
Calls weren't taken until about twenty minutes before the end of the intercast, which allowed for only three or four people to be heard from. For those who tuned in, was Al (who made the quite entertaining remark about Wheel Of Fortune's million-dollar wedgie) Al Martella? Also, I feel as though I should know Marie (the first caller) but I can't place her. Ring a bell with anyone?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 03:20:36 PM by Don Howard »

Matt Ottinger

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2008, 03:26:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'190522\' date=\'Jul 10 2008, 03:19 PM\']
For those who tuned in, was Al (who made the quite entertaining remark about Wheel Of Fortune's million-dollar wedgie) Al Martella? [/quote]
Indeed.  A regular caller to Stu's Show.

And yes, Stu reads our forum with some regularity.  I don't know whether Steve does or not.  I try to explain to Stu that the assorted comments shouldn't be construed to mean that our forum speaks with One Voice, or that  The Game Show Forum feels one way or another about a topic.  Still, more than once he's blamed me because "your guys over there" are saying this or that.  I missed his commentary about our opinions last night, I'll have to catch a replay.  Don, about how far in did it happen?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'190525\' date=\'Jul 10 2008, 03:26 PM\']
about how far in did it happen?
[/quote]
First segment right before the break (which played at approximately twenty minutes past the hour). Included in his statement was that "some message boards" harp on Steve's habit of speaking of himself in the third person. I could be wrong, but to me, he sounded really ticked.
When the commercial started, I looked at my wife and said, "I think I may have just been scolded".
Your opinion may be different, so I'll be curious to hear your perspective after you listen.

clemon79

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'190525\' date=\'Jul 10 2008, 12:26 PM\']
I try to explain to Stu that the assorted comments shouldn't be construed to mean that our forum speaks with One Voice, or that  The Game Show Forum feels one way or another about a topic.[/quote]
Clearly he has us mixed up with the GSN forums, where such a policy is rigidly enforced.

Matt Ottinger

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'190531\' date=\'Jul 10 2008, 03:33 PM\']First segment right before the break (which played at approximately twenty minutes past the hour). Included in his statement was that "some message boards" harp on Steve's habit of speaking of himself in the third person. I could be wrong, but to me, he sounded really ticked. [/quote]
He always sounds like that.

At least he'd be accurate that people on a message board really did say those things.  Meanwhile, Steve's current article about Roger Dobkowitz mentions "online speculation" about Kevin Belinkoff and Gaby Johnson as possible replacements, despite the fact that no one here or on G-R mentioned those names (until just now), and the mods at G-R (who have decent connections - for now) were pretty clear that Kathy Greco was going to get the job.  The only "online speculation" appears to be Steve's own, which I guess makes the statement technically accurate but takes this third-person thing to an entirely different level.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tpirfan28

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2008, 03:58:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'190539\' date=\'Jul 10 2008, 03:51 PM\']
Kevin Belinkoff and Gaby Johnson as possible replacements
[/quote]
Are these names we are familiar with (obviously I'm not.)?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 03:58:31 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Don Howard

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »
Steve's current article about Roger Dobkowitz mentions "online speculation" about Kevin Belinkoff and Gaby Johnson as possible replacements[/quote]
Which he reiterated on last evening's Stu's Show. I'll give away nothing further so I don't spoil the show for you as you'll be catching one of the encore playings.
Included in the discussion were Million Dollar Password, Deal Or No Deal, Celebrity Family Feud, Wipeout, the $1,000,000 prize on Wheel Of Fortune and much more.
On a truly happy note, you'll be pleased to know that Union University has done considerable rebuilding in the aftermath of the meteorological disaster which struck there less than six months ago. True teamwork all around. Hearing about how badly that campus got torn up during the storm and seeing pictures of the destruction makes it seem like more of a miracle than everyone survived.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:06:05 PM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2008, 04:03:56 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'190541\' date=\'Jul 10 2008, 03:58 PM\']
Kevin Belinkoff and Gaby Johnson as possible replacements
[/quote]
Are these names we are familiar with (obviously I'm not.)?
[/quote]
Belinkoff was a producer on the 1998 Match Game revival, and I believe the first season or two of the current Feud. IIRC, he's done recent work with GSN.

Gaby is another producer on Feud, and I believe she worked on the Dawson version.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sodboy13

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2008, 06:06:14 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'190543\' date=\'Jul 10 2008, 03:03 PM\']
Belinkoff was a producer on the 1998 Match Game revival, and I believe the first season or two of the current Feud.
[/quote]

Well now, there's a resumé.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

cmjb13

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2008, 08:33:18 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'190543\' date=\'Jul 10 2008, 04:03 PM\']
Gaby is another producer on Feud, and I believe she worked on the Dawson version.
[/quote]
IIRC, Combs and Dawson's 94 return as well.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

GameShowGuru

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2008, 10:59:49 AM »
Personally I have been a longtime fan of the Prof's tvgameshows.net website, and I have downloaded a number of his commentaries and interviews with tv game show greats.

I am picking up a vibe from this forum that he isn't "all that" as far as being an authority on game shows.  Am I correct and if so, what is the reason for it?  Just curious.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »
He has never worked in the game show business as far as I know. True that many journalists have never worked in the fields they cover, but if he had experience in the field I think it would give him more credibility.

DrBear

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2008, 06:36:58 PM »
Now, I'd disagree on that "you have to have done it to be an expert" thinking. If that were the case, for one thing, there wouldn't be male gynecologists. (JOKE) I'm actually more incllined to believe somebody from outside the "system" of whatever someone is reporting about exactly because they have no ties and therefore can be more honest.

My problem (as a working journalist) with Steve was that he let his personal biases get in the way when analyzing (just because you don't like it for some reason doesn't mean others won't) and he could make some pretty big whoppers now and then - and I'm not even thinking of the April Fool prank he bought.

If it was somebody who still had close ties to the business, I would have to wonder if he felt he had to protect those he liked. (Think football announcing and semi-trained analysts who believe all players are future hall of famers and all coaches are geniuses.)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

Stosh Calls It Quits
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2008, 08:37:09 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'190928\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 07:59 AM\']
I am picking up a vibe from this forum that he isn't "all that" as far as being an authority on game shows.  Am I correct and if so, what is the reason for it?  Just curious.[/quote]
Depends on what you consider an "authority."

Does he know a lot about game shows? Without question.

Does he necessarily know more than anyone else, including many people here? Not at all.