Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Paley Center for Media in NYC  (Read 22470 times)

BrandonFG

The Paley Center for Media in NYC
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2007, 03:18:34 PM »
[quote name=\'irismason42\' post=\'169824\' date=\'Nov 18 2007, 02:01 PM\']
MBC didn't have the first nighttime WOF episode but it does have another Season 1 WOF episode also from 1983
[/quote]
Since I actually understood some of what you said, I want to dispute whether it is or isn't the premiere.

1) Back on ATGS, someone brought up the first syndie episode, and Carmen playing for a Mazda truck, which, IIRC, was shown in that episode.

2) Wheel still bicycled in 1983, so some people saw that as the first episode, others saw something different (ATGS mentions a Pontiac Firebird).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WildJoker76

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2007, 08:28:08 AM »
The museum also has an episode mid 70s of Tattletales with Gary Collins and Mary Ann Mobley, I forgot who the two other couples were but its another from the Andy Warhol collection and I'm heading this weekend to finish the year off right with some more game shows to check out

William A. Padron

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2007, 10:24:51 AM »
On all my last visits to what was the Museum of Television & Radio in New York City within the last five years, I have seen within their collection including actually watching...

"The $20,000 Pyramid" (2/26/1979...with my own name attached to it in its database listing)
Four "Concentration" episodes (1958 Hugh Downs, two 1971-72 Bob Clayton's and 1974 Jack Narz)
Two "The Price Is Right" episodes (1958 Bill Cullen nighttime, 1982 Bob Barker daytime)
"The Money Maze" (1975)
"I've Got A Secret" (10th Anniversary 1962 episode)
"To Tell The Truth" (1967 nighttime finale)
"Password" (1963 nighttime episode)
"Eye Guess" (1967-68)
"Jeopardy!" (1972, 2000th broadcast)
"On The Spot" (KGW-TV Portland, Oregon local show-1980's)
"Tattletales" (1982)
"Match Game" (syndicated 1981 episode)
"Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour" (1983)
"Gambit" (1976 episode)
"To Say The Least" (1978)
"Wheel of Fortune" (1976 Tournament episode)

Also, and it is game show-related, a 1978-79 primetime special called "The 1978-79 Television Annual" that had a montage of clips in that genre introduced by Dick Clark.  In addition, I have checked and looked at the 1979 Daytime Emmy Awards where host Bob Barker announces that he was disqualified for his nomination as Best Game Show Host (Dick Clark won the award instead).

Another great must-see example is the 1981 Daytime Emmy Awards presentation in their collection, where Peter Marshall (Best Game Show Host, "Hollywood Squares"), Bob Stewart (Best Game Show, "The $20,000 Pyramid") and Mike Garguilo (Best Game Show Director, "The $20,000 Pyramid") each accept their trophies in light of the fact that their respective shows were cancelled by the networks.  Stewart himself jokingly remarked, "This is the second award we have won since we have been cancelled.  We have won more awards off the air then we do on the air, which tells you something."
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:33:08 AM by William A. Padron »
[Take The "A" Train]

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2007, 02:12:19 PM »
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'173243\' date=\'Dec 27 2007, 07:24 AM\']
Bob Barker announces that he was disqualified for his nomination as Best Game Show Host (Dick Clark won the award instead).[/quote]
Damn right.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLW

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2007, 03:20:22 PM »
Thanks! Wow, never knew a Narz Concentration was in there as well. It's going to make the choices for next time harder to make.

tvwxman

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2007, 04:13:51 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'173264\' date=\'Dec 27 2007, 03:20 PM\']
Thanks! Wow, never knew a Narz Concentration was in there as well. It's going to make the choices for next time harder to make.
[/quote]
Yep. an old one, pre-Double Play with the 9 squares bonus. This bonus round was solve 2 puzzles in 10 seconds for the car.

And, I won't spoil it for you, but even in 1974 G/T knew damn well how to control the prize budget.

Question for the panel : How did the 9 square Double Play bonus work? How did you get to play for the car, as opposed to the other prize packages?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2007, 04:26:26 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'173268\' date=\'Dec 27 2007, 01:13 PM\']
Question for the panel : How did the 9 square Double Play bonus work? How did you get to play for the car, as opposed to the other prize packages?
[/quote]
I wanna say it worked like the Winner's Board on $OTC...you played for the first thing you matched, and there were three prize packages, two Wild cards, and the car. So to play for the car, you had to hit a Wild card either first or after the car had already been revealed.

I might not have the details exactly right, but it's close to that.

BrandonFG

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2007, 04:28:26 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'173268\' date=\'Dec 27 2007, 04:13 PM\']
[/quote]
IIRC from Jamie Locklin showing it on his page, didn't you have to match two prizes or something, with one space serving as a Wild Card?

ETA: Lemon got me by two minutes, with a better explanation.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 04:29:16 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2007, 06:19:24 PM »
Bob Barker announces that he was disqualified for his nomination as Best Game Show Host (Dick Clark won the award instead).
This statement presumes that Barker would have won had he not been disqualified. How do you know Dick Clark wouldn't have won over Barker had the latter not been disqualified?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2007, 10:33:49 PM »
Chris was right: 9 squares, first one you match was what you played for.

Three prize packages and a car up for grabs.

The only thing I'm not sure about was the wild cards; the episode I have has no such occurrence in the bonus game.

Also of note: the 9-square board was manually operated via pull cards, not trilons.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

clemon79

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2007, 10:45:04 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'173291\' date=\'Dec 27 2007, 07:33 PM\']
The only thing I'm not sure about was the wild cards; the episode I have has no such occurrence in the bonus game.[/quote]
Honestly, I'm not thrilled about that part either; I know the car was a singleton, but I'm not at all sure about the two Wild cards, or if they were Wild cards or Win cards or what. Or if there were even two; there could have been one and then an Everything card or something. Some corroboration / correction would be most welcome.

William A. Padron

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2007, 09:23:09 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'173277\' date=\'Dec 27 2007, 06:19 PM\']
Bob Barker announces that he was disqualified for his nomination as Best Game Show Host (Dick Clark won the award instead).
This statement presumes that Barker would have won had he not been disqualified. How do you know Dick Clark wouldn't have won over Barker had the latter not been disqualified?
[/quote]

I am not sure if Barker would have won the Daytime Emmy Award at Best Game Show Host at all, even without the disqualification (the submission tape for entry was not within the time period broadcast guidelines set by the Blue Ribbon panel committee as I recall).  I can tell you that, by looking at that tape, Barker was really smarting inside, and his already inflated ego really simmering about this matter, and was getting it to him.

In the audience for the event was "$20,000 Pyramid" producer Bob Stewart, and judging from the expression on his face, Stewart was probably not pleased to hear Barker making that sort of less than classy response on live TV.  As for Dick Clark himself, he was a no show at that Daytime Emmy Awards show, with presenters Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly announcing him as the winner and accepting the award from a disappointed Janice Pennington handed to them instead.

To make matters worst, Barker later complained about the disqualification all over again. but in more detail in a written piece for New York Magazine.  When I read this seeming rant in print from him, he almost made as much like it was a sour grapes injustice deal done to him.  Being bitter I guess, he did mention in the end just simply that Daytime Emmy Award went instead to Clark for his work on "$20,000 Pyramid" on ABC-TV.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 09:58:53 AM by William A. Padron »
[Take The "A" Train]

tvwxman

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2007, 09:47:37 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'173294\' date=\'Dec 27 2007, 10:45 PM\']
The only thing I'm not sure about was the wild cards; the episode I have has no such occurrence in the bonus game.[/quote]
Honestly, I'm not thrilled about that part either; I know the car was a singleton, but I'm not at all sure about the two Wild cards, or if they were Wild cards or Win cards or what. Or if there were even two; there could have been one and then an Everything card or something. Some corroboration / correction would be most welcome.
[/quote]
And that's the problem... I too have that 'one' ep on tape (it was the first show I got in a trade, 11(!) years ago).... and because of what happened in the bonus, we just don't know what was on the bonus board.

What's the status on the Narz eps? Erased?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

William A. Padron

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2007, 10:17:12 AM »
[/quote]
On the 9-square Double Play board, there were three prize packages, the new car and one Wild Card.  Much like the later SOTC bonus game, whatever prize you matched after calling out numbers was the one prize you played for.  The one Wild Card feature was that it can match any one prize automatically on the board, but the contestant can play up to all the four prizes (including the car) offered if during the numbered selection process, the Wild Card will and can match the other prizes at that point that were not paired up previously.

So, as an example, if a lucky contestant calls four numbers on the Double Play board, and each has a different prize that do not match with each other, his/her next call will be a natural match with only one prize being played for, or the Wild Card that will automatically match all of them, thus playing for all four prizes offered.  I remember seeing that happened on the Narz version at least once when the show aired during its final year in first-run syndication on WOR-TV Channel 9 in New York, when it was on weeknights at 6:00pm Eastern.
[Take The "A" Train]

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2007, 10:52:11 AM »
[/quote]

I dug up the tape of that Narz "Concentration" ep.

Contestant Linda picks the car and 2 different prize packages, at which moment Jack tells her that "she could be playing for one of those 3 or all 3 depending on what she picked next".

So, at some point, could it have been that you played for everything you revealed if you revealed the car and one of each prize package?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 10:53:12 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com