Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Changes you'd like to see  (Read 39820 times)

tvwxman

Changes you'd like to see
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2007, 01:33:14 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'159369\' date=\'Aug 2 2007, 09:31 AM\']
 People take 30 seconds to come up with a bid because they've been allowed to all these years and they know they can get away with it.
[/quote]
Exactly. So make em stop it.  I don't remember them having this problem back in the day when there were , dare I say, more responsible contestants. It seems that if you told them during the warm up, not to waste time guessing a bid, they would do so. Eventually you'd get back to a set of normal contestants who, in effect, didn't waste time.

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'159369\' date=\'Aug 2 2007, 09:31 AM\']
A 15-second rule would fix that once and for good, whether the contestant is a 19-year-old frat boy or a 90-year-old grandmother.
[/quote]
I agree...but I just can't imagine it working. It's so damn loud in there that if Drew said "3 seconds or your out", and then a buzzer rang, I think you'd just have some pissed contestants exclaiming "But I couldn't hear!"
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Speedy G

« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2007, 01:40:32 PM »
You could have Drew raise his hand and ask the audience to be quiet for a moment so he can get a bid from Joe/Jane Staller.

The audience is at least good at being quiet for games like Clock Game, so surely it's not too far afield to ask them to quiet down so Staller will finally bid.

/Someone in the audience has to have some sense... right?
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

Ian Wallis

« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2007, 02:14:51 PM »
The audience is at least good at being quiet for games like Clock Game, so surely it's not too far afield to ask them to quiet down so Staller will finally bid.

At the show I saw a year ago, just before they started taping, Rich said something to the audience like "...wait until I finish describing a prize then yell out what you think the price is...remember, it's a party out there so have some fun"

If you try to take the audience out of the bidding process, I think you could have some problems because people have been so used to seeing audiences yell out prices for years.  

Maybe Rich should say something like "...if you get called to come on down to Contestants' Row, you have 10 seconds to make a bid or your out of that round".  That could do it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 02:15:52 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2007, 02:24:12 PM »
Before "TPIR," the only other daytime that did reruns regularly was "LMAD," in their ABC years. It seemed there was at least one rerun every week most weeks and even with the guest hosts, there were always rerun weeks. The difference was that the rerun weeks were sprinkled throughout the year rather than all during the summer. The clue, other than a different Spiegel catalog cover, was that Jay Stewart's "Now stay tuned for 'The Newlywed Game' next on most of these ABC stations" at the end was replaced with "the preceding was a repeat telecast."

I remember that they used to do that.  At least they mentioned when it was a rerun, which is something I wouldn't mind seeing TPIR doing.  

It was mentioned in another thread that the taping schedule seemed to be 4 shows short for a two-week period.  Is it feasable for TPIR to sprinkle the reruns around, or is it better for a show like that to have them all at one time of the year?  Would the ratings be better enough in the summer to justify airing some new shows at that time of year?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2007, 02:36:40 PM »
I've been under the impression for some time that this season isn't going to start on time, so I'm not sure there's really anything to worry about yet.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2007, 02:59:26 PM »
Drew comes to the contestant and if it's obvious they don't have a clue
Any rule has to be uniformly applicable to all contestants, particularly when you have four players competing. One person's "obvious" is another person's "not so obvious". Drew may feel lenient toward one contestant and dislike another. I don't have to explain any further the inequitability of what you propose.

it would be nice to have flashing lights around each price display in Contestants Row. When the player is being asked to bid, the light would flash repeatedly. When the bid is locked-in, the light freezes on.
They already have something like that. They're called "numbers".
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:02:56 PM by chris319 »

Card Shark

« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2007, 03:41:37 PM »
It was mentioned in another thread that the taping schedule seemed to be 4 shows short for a two-week period.  Is it feasable for TPIR to sprinkle the reruns around, or is it better for a show like that to have them all at one time of the year?  Would the ratings be better enough in the summer to justify airing some new shows at that time of year?
[/quote]

They won't be short on shows. They will start taping 8/15-8/17 and then again the last week of August during that Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. That's six taping days with two shows each. Twelve shows. Sorry, I teach middle school for a living. They will most likely have another taping week the week after Labor Day giving another 6 shows. If they keep up with this pattern, all will work out in time for an early October season premiere.
Adam Strom

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2007, 04:51:58 PM »
Elsewhere it was stated that they would tape six shows every other week. If they stick to that schedule they will be short.

tpirfan28

« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »
We also need to take into consideration any "Power of 10" taping schedule right now as well, since that is in NY and TPIR is in LA.  By the time October rolls around, there's the possibility that Drew will be available for six shows every week.

But the main point still stands: six shows every two weeks won't get them started on time...and will keep them short.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

uncamark

« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2007, 11:03:19 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'159426\' date=\'Aug 2 2007, 04:37 PM\']
We also need to take into consideration any "Power of 10" taping schedule right now as well, since that is in NY and TPIR is in LA.  By the time October rolls around, there's the possibility that Drew will be available for six shows every week.[/quote]

Let's see how that does first.  Right now, "Power" is only down for six shows, I believe, and they're either all in the can or being taped now.  If "Power" returns to the schedule, it probably won't be until November at the earliest.  All involved can figure out any scheduling problems at that time.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #175 on: August 03, 2007, 01:38:12 PM »
Even better, eliminating 2-3 minutes of commercial time could finally pit Alex Trebek and Wilford Brimley in a tag-team deathmatch for the title of daily senior health commercial superiority!  :-)
Nobody can beat Wilford Brimley- that guy knows how to rap.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OXEi7wN-Qug
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 01:38:33 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

HYHYBT

« Reply #176 on: August 04, 2007, 03:58:14 PM »
It's too late to pick only people who aren't wearing those shirts: it doesn't look like they even *have* nine per show without them anymore, and they couldn't pick based on that alone.

The time limit might work, but you wouldn't want to start it at the beginning of this season or it'll just give the impression that Drew is mean.

Do they even make flat monitors the shape of the Contestants Row displays?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #177 on: August 04, 2007, 04:41:43 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'159580\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 12:58 PM\']
[/quote]
No, but they don't make them the shape of the WoF score readouts either, and you'll notice they make those work just fine.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

« Reply #178 on: August 04, 2007, 05:11:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'159590\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 04:41 PM\']
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'159580\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 12:58 PM\']
[/quote]
No, but they don't make them the shape of the WoF score readouts either, and you'll notice they make those work just fine.
[/quote]
The WOF score readouts are flat screen TV/monitors. You just can't see the rest of it because it's blocked.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 05:11:50 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'159592\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 02:11 PM\']
The WOF score readouts are flat screen TV/monitors. You just can't see the rest of it because it's blocked.
[/quote]
Yes, thank you, I know that. That's exactly my point.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe