Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Window Shopping, Fortune Hunters, and more...  (Read 2349 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Window Shopping, Fortune Hunters, and more...
« on: January 11, 2007, 04:57:42 PM »
Some kind of art impression for what the seller believes is some kind of game show.
Set of six press kits for To Tell the Truth, Inquizition, Wheel, Jeopardy!, the '98 version of The Newlywed Game, and Lingo.
Very interesting color promo photograph of Gene Wood and Dick Clark together on Beat the Clock; Dick is doing some kind of stunt.
Ticket for the very shorted lived Window Shopping.
Interesting promo photograph of Peter Tomarken and Marianne Curan with a giant phone as the background.  Does anyone know if this was ever used for any particular show?
Ticket to the pilot for Fortune Hunters
Something that might help Mike Berger out a little; a ticket for Money in the Blank shows that it was taped July 26, 1987 for CBS (perhaps they were thinking of replacing Pyramid with this?)  There's also a ticket for Puzzlers; with the exciting note the audience can win a stereo!
"Winner's" medallion from the WWTBAM "play it" attraction.
If you happen to have $2395...a game called The Grid for 3 players could be yours!
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 05:04:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'142916\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 01:57 PM\']
If you happen to have $2395...a game called The Grid for 3 players could be yours!
[/quote]
I've played this. It was basically Midway's attempt to bring the first-person shooter to arcades. Pretty good game, but not my speed. (I want to say we had one of these in the cafeteria the first time I was at Microsoft.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 05:07:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'142916\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 04:57 PM\']
[/quote]

I remember this from my arcade.

It's structured somewhat like the movie Running Man, so I guess it's a game show item of sorts.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 05:08:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'142916\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 04:57 PM\']Interesting promo photograph of Peter Tomarken and Marianne Curan with a giant phone as the background.  Does anyone know if this was ever used for any particular show?[/quote]
Those of us who've had GSN from the beginning recognize that as the background for Peter's Prime Games introductions from Day One.  (Marianne was added later.) Though they didn't actually play their call-in games like Decades and Race for the Numbers against that background, the keypad was there to remind you that you could call in and win.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 05:14:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'142923\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 05:08 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'142916\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 04:57 PM\']Interesting promo photograph of Peter Tomarken and Marianne Curan with a giant phone as the background.  Does anyone know if this was ever used for any particular show?[/quote]
Those of us who've had GSN from the beginning recognize that as the background for Peter's Prime Games introductions from Day One.  (Marianne was added later.) Though they didn't actually play their call-in games like Decades and Race for the Numbers against that background, the keypad was there to remind you that you could call in and win.
[/quote]

IIRC, the keypad's numbers would light up a la the PYL board, but for no real purpose other than decoration.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

dazztardly

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 09:02:53 PM »
The Grid arcade vid listing in this thread totally caught me offguard. This game was Midway's attempt to cash-in on the one person shooter craze seen with games as Quake, and Doom. It was a cute concept with the futuristic game show theme, like Smash TV in the early 1990's. Gameplay wise, it took a few bucks worth of games to get used to the controls and feel of the playing enviroment.

I hardly come across many Grid cabs in my arcade repairs/routes, but I never miss an opportunity to play a few games when I do.

-Dan
FLASHGames²
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:13:01 PM by Matt Ottinger »

Hastin

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 09:20:08 PM »
FYI, that description on the WWTBAM-PI! medallion is false. Anyone that got into the hot seat within the first month [or the press at the premier event] of opening got that medallion. The 1,000,000 medallion actually said that you we're a winner.
-Hastin :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 11:11:10 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'142958\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 06:02 PM\']
The Grid arcade vid listing in this thread totally caught me offguard. This game was Midway's attempt to cash-in on the one person shooter craze seen with games as Quake, and Doom. It was a cute concept with the futuristic game show theme, like Smash TV in the early 1990's.
[/quote]
Really more of a futuristic sports league thing, wasn't it? That logo on the side of the marquee wants badly to be that of a sports league.
Gameplay wise, it took a few bucks worth of games to get used to the controls and feel of the playing enviroment.
Yeah, which is why I never got into it. Never been big on games with expensive learning curves.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 11:32:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'142989\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 08:11 PM\']Really more of a futuristic sports league thing, wasn't it? That logo on the side of the marquee wants badly to be that of a sports league.[/quote]That was the impression I got. American Gladiators meets a first-person maze chase. And yes, the logo would be right at home next to the NBA, MLB and the other white silhouette on a red-blue banner logos.

Yeah, which is why I never got into it. Never been big on games with expensive learning curves.
The one time I played it, I grokked it immediately. Maybe the game was set on Double Easy, but I think I actually had to leave the game because it was the last play of the night, and I had been at it for a long while.

If I were to buy that monstrosity, I think I'd have to knock out both walls of my apartment and charge obscene amounts of money for each play, in order to pay back the $1,500 rent that I'd be paying to house it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:34:47 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle