Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brace yourself -- it's Dave  (Read 18122 times)

joshg

Brace yourself -- it's Dave
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2006, 04:54:06 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'140742\' date=\'Dec 16 2006, 10:22 AM\']
And to continue on his unexceptional track record, Price was weatherman at WBBM in Chicago in the mid-90s, at the absolute low point of that news shop's recent history, before he moved to Philadelphia and then on to New York.
[/quote]

Wait, he stunk up weather in Philly? Glad I missed that! Anyway, maybe I missed this in another post, but could this columnist be 'pimping' for Dave by saying he already got the job? In other words, Dave is telling him that he has the job (when he actually doesn't yet) to make himself look good (and get a raise at the 'Early Show' in the process).

I work in conspiracy theories as a living...

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2006, 04:57:44 PM »
You're forgetting the fact that Howie has vast experience working in front of live audiences. Dave Price has vast experience working in front of green screens. It's simple arithmetic.

Howie is also a formidable writer, from what I gather.

BrandonFG

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2006, 05:38:53 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'140843\' date=\'Dec 17 2006, 04:57 PM\']
Howie is also a formidable writer, from what I gather.
[/quote]
Not to mention an actor...he can work well with the material on D/ND. Plus his work with "Bobby's World" is perfect for the cartoon that D/ND is! ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Card Shark

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2006, 11:34:54 PM »
And just how credible is this report?
Adam Strom

Terry K

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2006, 12:55:13 AM »
The other thing here is too they have 9 months, not 6.  Remember, TPIR seasons don't officially begin until September.  

The factor of the Early Show is a big one.  WIth the departure of Rene, there's an issue of what CBS will do with that trainwreck as it is.

joe_capitano

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2006, 01:25:40 AM »
The season may not begin until September, but when you account for the taping schedule (see CBS.com/daytime/price) the new season has to go into production in JUNE. (Although that can and could change)

RIght now, my feeling is CBS or the show will name Bob's successor no later than the NCAA Break in March - and I don't hold high hopes for Mr. Price. There's some looking to do yet.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 01:30:40 AM by joe_capitano »

Terry K

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2006, 06:31:37 PM »
[quote name=\'joe_capitano\' post=\'140868\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 02:25 AM\']
The season may not begin until September, but when you account for the taping schedule (see CBS.com/daytime/price) the new season has to go into production in JUNE. (Although that can and could change)

RIght now, my feeling is CBS or the show will name Bob's successor no later than the NCAA Break in March - and I don't hold high hopes for Mr. Price. There's some looking to do yet.
[/quote]

And weren't the first TPIRs shot within a couple weeks of its Debut in Sept 1972?  There's also the possiblity they'll have to convert the BB studio to HD.  That's going to require quite a bit of planning and modifications.

cmjb13

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2006, 06:35:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'140918\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 06:31 PM\']
[quote name=\'joe_capitano\' post=\'140868\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 02:25 AM\']

[/quote]

And weren't the first TPIRs shot within a couple weeks of its Debut in Sept 1972?  There's also the possiblity they'll have to convert the BB studio to HD.  That's going to require quite a bit of planning and modifications.
[/quote]
Why would they have to convert? There's nobody pushing them to. They would have to rehab the games to eliminate the blemishes for HD. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it. But there's no benefit for them to do so.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Terry K

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2006, 04:40:34 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'140919\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 07:35 PM\']

Why would they have to convert? There's nobody pushing them to. They would have to rehab the games to eliminate the blemishes for HD. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it. But there's no benefit for them to do so.
[/quote]

Actually there's a very good reason...money.  if the BB studio is configured for HD, there's more business CBS can generate from production houses needing to shoot HD shows.

toddyo

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2006, 01:17:44 PM »
One name that hasn't been mentioned as a possible host:

Ken Jennings

Think about it. I would bet his Q score is higher than Mr. Price's. He has instant name and face recognition.  He's very personable. He's got that Grandma likeability. The college set would connect with him, since he has the hipness and quick witted.

Whaddya think?   Ken, would you do the trip from Seattle to Television City?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2006, 01:51:01 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'141009\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 10:17 AM\']

Ken Jennings
[/quote]
With all due respect to Ken (and I have to think he would be the first to agree), there's a reason for that.
Think about it. I would bet his Q score is higher than Mr. Price's
My Q-score is higher than Mr. Price's.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:51:50 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2006, 02:54:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'141011\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 01:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'141009\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 10:17 AM\']

Ken Jennings
[/quote]
With all due respect to Ken (and I have to think he would be the first to agree), there's a reason for that.
Think about it. I would bet his Q score is higher than Mr. Price's
My Q-score is higher than Mr. Price's.
[/quote]

I totally agree about Ken on TPIR, but this reminds me that he did host a game on public TV here in Minneapolis and was pretty darn good. It was College Bowl but with high schools, so not a complex format, but he was witty and smooth.

And Chris, isn't likability factored somewhere into one's Q score?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 02:55:01 PM by Neumms »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2006, 02:59:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'141014\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 11:54 AM\']
And Chris, isn't likability factored somewhere into one's Q score?
[/quote]
Absolutely. Isn't to know me to love me? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2006, 03:19:51 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'141009\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 01:17 PM\']

Ken Jennings[/quote]

I don't think be a contestant on a game show translates into being the next Great Emcee.  Yes, we have plenty of local quiz hosts on this board, but they are local, and it's not primarily because they were contestants.  Besides, if we want a former J! contestant to host Price, I'll take Bob Harris.  ^^;
This signature is currently under construction.

Don Howard

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2006, 03:38:16 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'140705\' date=\'Dec 15 2006, 11:39 PM\']
Depending on who is hired to fill Bob's shoes, might there be a possibility that some of those important staffers (some who have been there since or close to Day One and are now in their 50's or 60's) take an early retirement (like Bob) so they can leave on a high note as well, or are they under contract with Fremantle and pretty much have to fulfill their terms?
[/quote]
From the same source as last time, the word is that all contracts have been amended so that all staffers' pacts now end in early June 2007.
About the Dave Price tryout, I hear the intro had to be done seven (count 'em) seven times for reasons which include his waving to America upon the opening of the door [Blake Emmons used to do that] and not acknowledging the audience.