Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Marathon Commercial during Survivor Reunion Show  (Read 43064 times)

Kevin Prather

Game Show Marathon Commercial during Survivor Reunion Show
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2006, 12:24:59 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'119759\' date=\'May 29 2006, 08:43 PM\']
"Stop at...well, nothing. That puts you at nothing. Press or pass?"
[/quote]
"Um....well, I think I'll play it safe and pass."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2006, 01:07:16 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'119755\' date=\'May 29 2006, 07:53 PM\']
You asked me why it was a good thing that the original CS had only the regular survey questions, and I defended my point very well. In addition to not taking five minutes out of the show for one question, there was continuity. If you're just gonna dismiss my points out of hand like this, why should I bother?
[/quote]
No, that was not my question. My question was "what is it specifically about 'human-nature' questions that ties in with the playing of the cards that isn't accomplished just the same with the other two types?" You asked why they felt they needed to mix it up, I offered my theory, and now you think I'm dismissing your point just because I happen to disagree with yours? Screw that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2006, 01:36:01 AM »
I apologize for any misunderstanding in the question.

They're not any better for the game than any other 50/50 method, I just find them interesting because they were well done. I'm not crazy about "We asked 100 housewives, have you ever had more than one leftover casserole at a time," but when you ask 100 Catholic priests if they believe that miracles happen, and you get an answer of 99, that's something to talk about.

Some guy put out a Mac Card Sharks game back when I owned and could use a Mac. And by golly, there were some interesting questions to it. If "Card Sharks" had done all EG questions from the start, I'd have no problem with it. It seemed like the CBS version thought "We're coming back, bigger and better and so on, and now we have TWO new question types! TWO!" as opposed to "The game show you barely had a chance to miss is coming back, just on a different network.

I'm certainly not against that type of question; I thought it was used very well as the opening question for Greed, and It Takes Two, and when the questions are interesting, that's great. I didn't think that many of the EG questions on Card Sharks were interesting, and certainly not something I'd remember after the fact.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2006, 03:56:41 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'119755\' date=\'May 29 2006, 09:53 PM\']
[Yeah, the show is Card Sharks, not Survey Sharks. I get it. I'm asserting that the survey questions improved the game because both portions used the higher/lower mechanic very well. If memory serves, you didn't watch Card Sharks anyhow, Mark, so your opinion isn't very relevant at all.[/quote]
I didn't watch because I didn't have access to GSN until very recently (as in, two days ago).  If you're going to dismiss someone's opinion because you don't think they watched, I don't see why I should bother.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 03:59:10 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2006, 04:25:37 AM »
And I'd buy that except that your own web site rated all versions of "Card Sharks" low, and in private conversations to me told me straight away that you didn't care for the format. Whatever percentage you want to assign to a show is your business, but if you don't enjoy the show, you're not going to watch. If getting GSN brought you to the Light Side and you see the greatness of the show, then that's one good thing for GSN, which means they're at 572,999 to go.
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2006, 08:17:24 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'119773\' date=\'May 30 2006, 01:36 AM\']
Some guy put out a Mac Card Sharks game back when I owned and could use a Mac. And by golly, there were some interesting questions to it. [/quote]

Ooh!  I remember that game.  In fact, I think the old Mac in my studio still has a copy of it.

I'm certainly not against that type of (educated guess) question; I thought it was used very well as the opening question for Greed, and It Takes Two, and when the questions are interesting, that's great.

Reminds me of the genesis of the public radio word game Says You.  Quoting from its FAQ:
[indent]It was a dark and stormy night when, suddenly, Richard Sher drew the Trivial Pursuit question "What do you call the band of low pressure that surrounds the Earth at the Equator?"In his typically debonair fashion, his first thought was: "Who cares?! What a dumb question." Then, he realized the answer was "the doldrums." ... Richard's epiphany was "the point is not that it's important to know the answer; it's only important to like the answer."[/indent]
czambo@mac.com

uncamark

« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2006, 02:53:47 PM »
Educated Guess didn't bother me all that much once I got used to it, because it still stayed with the high-low synchronicity of the game.  The problem with the audience groups was that they slowed down a show that was already moving at a below-"J!" pace even when Perry did the show.

To me, the added end games were what I didn't like about the second version, because they diluted the Money Cards, which was a perfect end game to begin with, and didn't follow the high-low synchronicity.  It seemed to me like someone at CBS or MGP was bothered that a maximum win on the Money Cards was near-impossible (except for Dorothy Brown).  They shouldn't have.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2006, 03:05:41 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'119803\' date=\'May 30 2006, 01:53 PM\']
It seemed to me like someone at CBS or MGP was bothered that a maximum win on the Money Cards was near-impossible (except for Dorothy Brown).  They shouldn't have.
[/quote]
Not to mention her sister Norma.  :-)

/Sorry, but better from me than someone else.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2006, 03:08:36 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'119805\' date=\'May 30 2006, 02:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'119803\' date=\'May 30 2006, 01:53 PM\']
It seemed to me like someone at CBS or MGP was bothered that a maximum win on the Money Cards was near-impossible (except for Dorothy Brown).  They shouldn't have.
[/quote]
Not to mention her sister Norma.  :-)

/Sorry, but better from me than someone else.[/quote]

Much obliged.

vtown7

« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2006, 09:33:51 PM »
Warning to viewers of CTV... they're running clips from the shows on commercial so if you've figured out what order the shows are in you might figure out who has won :)

Personally I'm just looking forward to seeing how they go about it... sure I might know the end result, but isn't it about the way they get there?

RV.

narzo

« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2006, 08:26:31 PM »
I made it 24 minutes.  I guarantee I'll be in the minority but this stinks even more than I thought it would.

-edit-  sorry, wrong thread wanted to put it in the "price is right on the marathon" thread
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 08:28:40 PM by narzo »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2006, 08:57:07 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'119939\' date=\'May 31 2006, 07:26 PM\']
I made it 24 minutes.  I guarantee I'll be in the minority but this stinks even more than I thought it would.

-edit-  sorry, wrong thread wanted to put it in the "price is right on the marathon" thread
[/quote]
To each their own.

Brandon Brooks

cmjb13

« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2006, 09:39:04 PM »
[quote name=\'MrGameShow\' post=\'119490\' date=\'May 25 2006, 11:57 PM\']
Apparently TIM MEADOWS isn't good enough to be listed as a "star" :D
[/quote]
He's there now, but only in photo. No bio for him yet.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS