Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! eligibility and Canadian game shows  (Read 1745 times)

Blaq

Jeopardy! eligibility and Canadian game shows
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:21:45 AM »
I'm considering taking the online test on March 28, but this sentence gives me the willies:

You are not eligible to be a contestant on JEOPARDY! if you have appeared on a game show/dating show/relationship show/reality show in the last year or three game shows/dating shows/relationship shows/reality shows in the last 10 years.

I've appeared on several game shows in the past 10 years (and one reality show, My Fabulous Gay Wedding, broadcast in the US as First Comes Love), but all these were Canadian productions. MFGW aired in the US, but all other shows only aired in Canada -- and in French.

I wonder if these Canadian, foreign-language appearances count against Jeopardy! eligibility rules. There's no email address on the J! site. Any hard info, anyone?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 12:34:40 PM »
My guess would be no, but I'm basing it on a decades-old example.  In late 1974, a lady named Susan (don't know what last name she used) appeared on "Match Game 74" as a contestant, in episodes run by GSN.  At that time she was also appearing as a celebrity on the Canadian panel game show "This is the Law", under the name Susan Keller.  

I would think that out-of-country appearances wouldn't count as most likely they wouldn't be aired in the US anyway.

But it's just a guess :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 04:16:40 PM »
There was a guy who competed against Ken Jennings who appeared weekly on a different game show as host/quizmaster.  Not Canadian, though.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 04:28:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 01:16 PM\']There was a guy who competed against Ken Jennings who appeared weekly on a different game show as host/quizmaster.  Not Canadian, though.[/quote]
Yes, but that was in an invitational tournament, where their regular eligibility rules don't apply.

From all I've heard from varying contestant departments, the spirit of the rule lies in whether any significant chunk of their national audience would have seen you. As such, my guess is that First Comes Love may be held against you, but anything that didn't air in the US wouldn't.

But don't take my word for it. You can call the J! contestant department directly "at 310.244.5367 between 10 am and 4 pm PST for more information." (per the J! website)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 05:35:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 01:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 01:16 PM\']There was a guy who competed against Ken Jennings who appeared weekly on a different game show as host/quizmaster.  Not Canadian, though.[/quote]
Yes, but that was in an invitational tournament, where their regular eligibility rules don't apply.
[/quote]
Umm...I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about Rutter.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 04:16 PM\']Todd Russell was a busy man in 1952. Concurrent with hosting "Wheel Of Fortune" on CBS, he also presided over "Pud's Prize Party" on ABC.
[snapback]113728[/snapback]
[/quote]
You see? You see it now? Do you? It's time to honor Todd!! Where's toddrussell.net? Let's get it on.
To topic, I'll give this exam a whirl. If I flunk this also, I'll just try again. And again. The Malcolm Jackpot will be mine.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 06:14:15 PM by Don Howard »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 06:15:45 PM »
Not Rutter, Ottinger.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 06:19:01 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 09:26:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 02:35 PM\']Umm...I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about Rutter.[/quote]
Okay, that's it. I'll never be able to show my face here again. Not that I ever showed my face here in the first place, but....

[heads to the Celebrity Connect Four-Extreme Darts Hour room]