Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scattered Newlywed Game Questions  (Read 2184 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Scattered Newlywed Game Questions
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:08:48 PM »
How exactly did Eubanks' run come to an end? I've seen some clips of him in the middle of four couples on a blue set with money displays. I thought this carried over to the Rodriguez version but this grab shows a couple with a "5" on the board.

What other changes were there for Paul's version? This grab would seem to suggest the initial question answering was not done from the regular couple areas, but rather together on a couch which I think is kind of neat.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:36:01 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Mar 20 2006, 09:08 PM\']How exactly did Eubanks' run come to an end? I've seen some clips of him in the middle of four couples on a blue set with money displays. I thought this carried over to the Rodriguez version but this grab shows a couple with a "5" on the board.

What other changes were there for Paul's version? This grab would seem to suggest the initial question answering was not done from the regular couple areas, but rather together on a couch which I think is kind of neat.

[snapback]113646[/snapback]
[/quote]

Eubanks announced his leaving Newlyweds at the top of the 12/5/88 episode. After the first commercial, Paul and Bob walk over to the new NG set seen in the pics, which would be Paul's set for all of his run. The money format, began 12 weeks earlier on the 1988-89 season premiere, was eliminated when Paul took over. Besides the set, the number of couples changed from four per day to three per day. They went back to the traditional Newlywed format. The theme song changed from the Milton Delugg remix of the 70s theme to the Monotones' late 50's hit Book of Love.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 09:04:09 AM »
Eubanks announced his leaving Newlyweds at the top of the 12/5/88 episode. After the first commercial, Paul and Bob walk over to the new NG set seen in the pics, which would be Paul's set for all of his run. The money format, began 12 weeks earlier on the 1988-89 season premiere, was eliminated when Paul took over.

When exactly did the blue set premiere?  GSN ran some episodes (I even have one of them) where they were on the new blue set but still played for points.  If they switched to the money format in the '88 season premiere, that means the blue set actually debuted late the previous season.

Anyone know for sure?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 09:13:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 09:04 AM\']

When exactly did the blue NG set premiere? 
Anyone know for sure?
[snapback]113681[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was during the 1987-88 season.

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 01:15:09 PM »
While I remember tuning in and seeing the dollar signs, I never mustered up the interest to watch until the money came into play. So how did it work?

And what does everyone think of the Rodriguez version? It seems to me he wasn't half bad, and the show was definitely a better update than the Kroeger version to come later.

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 02:43:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 12:15 PM\']While I remember tuning in and seeing the dollar signs, I never mustered up the interest to watch until the money came into play. So how did it work?
[snapback]113703[/snapback]
[/quote]

I can be corrected, but:

5 points = $25
10 points = $50
25-point-bonus = Each couple wagered all or part of their score on the last question during the final break--with one-half of the couple having already answered the question (don't remember if the other half of the couple got to hear the question before the bet)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 02:57:02 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 11:43 AM\']25-point-bonus = Each couple wagered all or part of their score on the last question during the final break--with one-half of the couple having already answered the question (don't remember if the other half of the couple got to hear the question before the bet)
[snapback]113711[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ya know, I never thought about this part of it. That makes for an interesting strategic angle. "We can bet big, honey, there's no way you're going to miss it. Especially since I said "burrito"." :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 07:50:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 02:43 PM\']

I can be corrected, but:

5 points = $25
10 points = $50
25-point-bonus = Each couple wagered all or part of their score on the last question during the final break--with one-half of the couple having already answered the question (don't remember if the other half of the couple got to hear the question before the bet)
[snapback]113711[/snapback]
[/quote]

The couples started out with $25, which avoided the chances of a couple having no money to play the final question.