Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's at the Toy Fair?  (Read 4785 times)

tvwxman

What's at the Toy Fair?
« on: February 15, 2006, 06:29:51 PM »
Spent the day walking the Javits Center in NYC, and I have the blisters to prove it.

Game shows are alive and well this year, thanks to one primetime hit, and moderate success of the TPIR DVD.

Family Games is releasing Match Game, Password (with special glasses for clues), and Newlywed Game on DVD. They say they are in the process of securing rights for the celebrities on Match Game, meaning, you'll be seeing a lot of clips from the 70s version. The company is confident Newlywed Game will work, because you don't need 4 couples to play...you can play one couple vs couples from the show. Look for these over the summer.

As mentioned earlier, Deal or No Deal is getting double treatment in electronic form, but the home game rights have been secured by Pressman Games. Explained to me by Jim Pressman himself, the home game format is VERY different from the show, to allow for multiple players, allowing guessing whats in your own briefcase, and trying to accumulate more money quicker than your opponents. Honestly, I thought it was a bit confusing, and methinks D/nD will work better as an electronic game that involves a computer chip determining banker payouts.

The one other thing I saw was Interactive Games, who licenced the DVD version of Name That Tune last year, has in the works a Let's Make a Deal DVD. No further info on this. They also had an empty box for a DVD Deal or No Deal....

That's it. The big hit of the fair : Sudoku. That damn thing was EVERYWHERE. Big ones, little ones, plastic ones, wood ones, electronic ones, book ones....everyone wants to cash in on that craze.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 06:44:19 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 03:29 PM\']The one other thing I saw was Interactive Games, who licenced the DVD version of Name That Tune last year,
[snapback]110248[/snapback]
[/quote]
Speaking of, has anyone actually played this? I remember seeing it, and thinking "hey, a Name That Tune based on 80's music, I totally need this!", and never saw it anywhere. I'd be interested to hear a quickie review.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

itiparanoid13

What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 06:51:12 PM »
I am in total shock that DoND has 3 games announced after just 5 episodes have aired with success against basically reruns.  It's, IMO, WAY too soon.  At least wait until the weekly series does well before announcing this.  The show, while it was a big hit, wasn't enough of a hit to warrant all of this so soon.  I really hope this doesn't backfire on them.  I doubt it will, but if it does, then NBC isn't too bright, is it?  It's amazing that we have about 50 million Flash US DoND games out with 3 toys announced after 5 successful shows, and the extremely good (and on occasion superior) British DoND has nothing.  I'm going to have to finish that project.

Brig Bother

What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 06:57:16 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 11:29 PM\']That's it. The big hit of the fair : Sudoku. That damn thing was EVERYWHERE. Big ones, little ones, plastic ones, wood ones, electronic ones, book ones....everyone wants to cash in on that craze.
[/quote]

Blimey, sudoku is a bit passe over here now - I'll give it six months before everyone gets bored in the US tops.

I expect the US DonD game to be a bit like the Aussie one.

I'd like to see the French one though, it's got an electronic banker, I gather.

clemon79

What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 06:58:20 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 03:51 PM\']and the extremely good (and on occasion superior) British DoND has nothing.  I'm going to have to finish that project.
[snapback]110251[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm not sure why people think the British version of DoND is so fantastic. Yeah, Noel Edmonds does a pretty good job, but the set is pretty nondescript and really kinda uninteresting aside from the Big Board.

It's okay, but there's no chrome. And this show NEEDS chrome.

itiparanoid13

What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 07:04:26 PM »
I think my liking of British DoND comes from the psychological aspect of the Banker.  We basically follow a median value, or whatever the calculator they use says to do.  There's a little bit of leeway obviously, more as it goes up, but the British Banker is just more interesting.  He measures how the players behave, makes trap offers, and actually interacts.  I think we have the better set, host, music, and prize scale, but one of the main aspects of any DoND is the bank offer.

clemon79

What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 07:12:50 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 04:04 PM\']I think my liking of British DoND comes from the psychological aspect of the Banker.  We basically follow a median value, or whatever the calculator they use says to do.  There's a little bit of leeway obviously, more as it goes up, but the British Banker is just more interesting.  He measures how the players behave, makes trap offers, and actually interacts.  I think we have the better set, host, music, and prize scale, but one of the main aspects of any DoND is the bank offer.
[snapback]110254[/snapback]
[/quote]
Okay, but that's no different than a billion other versions of the show, the Australian one does that too. And if by "interacts" you mean "laughs every so often at the other end of the phone", that's a pretty funny definition of "interacts".

itiparanoid13

What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 08:13:19 PM »
Yeah, that's my funny definition of interact.  My funny definition of a good and entertaining game show was The Chair, The Chamber, and Friend or Foe, though.

Brig Bother

What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 08:39:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 16 2006, 12:12 AM\']Okay, but that's no different than a billion other versions of the show, the Australian one does that too. And if by "interacts" you mean "laughs every so often at the other end of the phone", that's a pretty funny definition of "interacts".
[snapback]110256[/snapback]
[/quote]

Meh, it builds the mythology up and gives the viewers something better to rally against.

Why do people like the British version? Because its about likable people and wish-fulfillment, whereas in the US you get to be a contestant if you can shriek a bit.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 08:50:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 04:29 PM\']As mentioned earlier, Deal or No Deal is getting double treatment in electronic form, but the home game rights have been secured by Pressman Games. Explained to me by Jim Pressman himself, the home game format is VERY different from the show, to allow for multiple players, allowing guessing whats in your own briefcase, and trying to accumulate more money quicker than your opponents. Honestly, I thought it was a bit confusing, and methinks D/nD will work better as an electronic game that involves a computer chip determining banker payouts.
[/quote]
Actually, this sounds like an adaptation of the rather nifty Aussie home game done by Crown and Andrews (yep, I have this one too).

It actually plays rather well, using the idea of guessing the contents of the case for the other players, but giving the case-holders more involvement by giving them an extra decision: the paid guess.  Each player is given a bankroll, most of which is pre-allocated to pay the person chosen to be their "contestant" (that is, the person choosing cases to open), but part of it is intended to be used to pay for "paid guesses," whose costs increases based on what round it is, but if the paid guess is correct, the case opener wins the case's contents.  In the early rounds, it's a crapshoot, but the cost is low; in later rounds, the cost is higher, but the likelihood of a given case being correct goes up.  If the larger values are still in play, it could potentially give a case holder a big hunk of money.  Of course, the case holders can just take free guesses every time for a set, smaller amount of money.

Those taking paid guesses put their money into a pot known as the "kitty," reminisicent of the semi-ubiquitous Monopoly house rule putting tax money under Free Parking.  Revealing certain dollar values cause the kitty to be awarded: the lowest value (.50 in the Aussie game) sends the kitty to whosever playing the host, while the highest of the values on the left hand side of the value board ($750 in the Aussie game) gives is to whosever holding the case containing it.

The person hosting and the person playing as the contestant are decided by two sets of numbered cards, one for host order and the other for contestant order, and the hosts and contestants are paired off based on who has what number: host 1 plays with contestant 1, host 2 with contestant 2, etc.  The host doubles as the banker: the rules advise taking a mean average of the remaining dollar values as a starting point for the bank offer, but also state that there is no set formula they are required to use - the host/bank may offer however much of their own money as they wish to buy the contestant's case, even to point of being allowed to directly haggle with the contestant.  If the contestant does indeed deal, the host can actually take a final paid guess if they feel the contestant gave up a larger value - a final insult to injury.

After everybody's played host and contestant once, who ever has the most loot wins.

Component wise, it's not too much unlike Mike Klauss's cheapie version found in another thread: high-quality cardboard sleeves resembling the cases of the show, plastic coated playing cards for the dollar values and the host/contestant cards, a big console-style plastic scoreboard with 26 little plastic doors to help keep track of the unrevealed values, and some seriously slick and glossy play money.

My friends and I played the game on Super Bowl Sunday, and it was actually quite fun.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

tvwxman

What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 08:51:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 08:39 PM\']Why do people like the British version? Because its about likable people and wish-fulfillment, whereas in the US you get to be a contestant if you can shriek a bit.
[snapback]110271[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ex-ACTLY.

The UK version plays up the psychology of the game, whereas the US plays up the "hey, let's throw money around cause Joey didn't do so well in the ratings".

I've said it before here : The fact that the world has 2 'vastly different' versions of D/nD is interesting. I prefer the UK/France/Italy version to the hyped up Aussie/US/Dutch shows. Though I like the daily Aussie version as a blend of the two.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd like the US version a lot more if there was some sort of actual contest to determine who NBC throws the money at next. I dunno, maybe a 'game'? Just a thought.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

itiparanoid13

What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 09:04:56 PM »
You know, I had this weird (but probably stupid) idea, but it would still involve luck.  Just have like 4 or 5 people eligable to play for the day and put their name into suitcases.  Someone picks a case and whoever's name's in the case gets in.  Honestly, I'd rather have some trivia showdown like Miljoenenjacht or even current Aussie DoND, but it's very apparent that the US version is meant for only luck.

Speedy G

What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 09:52:56 PM »
I'm gonna have to throw in another vote in favor of the British version.  What really sells it for me is:

1) You actually get a feel for many of the people before you ever see them at center stage (unlike our version where you seem to find out more about the shrieking family members than the contestant, because of NBC standard overediting).

2) The big, life-changing sums of money aren't won every single game, so it's really spectacular when it does happen (unlike our version where you have better than a coin-flip's chance of a 6-figure payday, every day).

FWIW, I have a PowerPoint DoND UK gameboard put together (complete with whooshing noise when the values go away and what I THINK are the gameboard colors), just have to get around to putting it on the internet somewhere.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

Matt Ottinger

What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 11:00:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 07:44 PM\']Speaking of, has anyone actually played this? I remember seeing it, and thinking "hey, a Name That Tune based on 80's music, I totally need this!", and never saw it anywhere. I'd be interested to hear a quickie review.[/quote]
OK.

Players have to work their way to the center of the board (where the cool stuff is) by answering six music trivia questions from cards, Trivial-Pursuit-style.  At the center of the board, you get to play with the DVD clips, either identifying a group, identifying a song, or answering a memory/observation question about the clip.

The first two players to reach the center face off in "Bid-A-Vid", where you bid on the number of seconds it'll take you to name that tune from the video.  First player to score three points wins.

Nice, wide variety of well-known videos, and the trivia questions are decent too.  You definitely have to know your stuff to play.  Bid-A-Vid is the weakest segment, because if you really are good at 80s music video trivia, you'll either know the video right off the bat or you won't, so bidding down from 20 or 30 seconds is a waste of time.

I've seen it often at Toys R Us.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
What's at the Toy Fair?
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 11:34:52 PM »
Bid-A-Vid is the weakest segment

Well I'm glad to hear the whole game wasn't based around Bid-a-Vid as I had predicted...that was my reason for not buying it. On "Name that Video" it was a gripe for me as well - if you know your 80s and you see one second of "Take on Me" it's very obvious what you're after. But if I see it for $20 as Mark says, I'll prolly snag it now.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck