Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FF Season 5 info  (Read 8213 times)

Casey Buck

FF Season 5 info
« on: August 24, 2003, 05:30:51 AM »
According to mandelweb.com:

There have been a number of changes, one of which I know will please a lot of the game show fans out there. The show now tapes at Tribune Studios (aka the KTLA studios and aka the studios where Whammy!, Russian Roulette, Let's Make Deal 2003, and Greed taped). It seemed like the new theme and cues were back (the non-classic one)...not sure why though. But the most major change...the game is now played to 300 points: single, single, double, triple. Three strikes every round. SUCH a big improvement. I really felt more invested in watching the game and following each question with this. The games play so much better. And it's hardcore classic rules in regards to scores on steals. That is, a family that steals a question doesn't get the points for the answer the \"stole\" with. Richard seems to be loosening up a bit. In fact, I was having a major Richard Dawson flashback with one particular family interview. I believe though that what I saw were the first two shows of the \"B\" episodes in double-run markets.

Now the big question is: why did Pearson/Fremantle take to long to get to this format?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 05:32:38 AM by Casey Buck »

joshg

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 05:58:42 AM »
Now the big question is: why did Pearson/Fremantle take to long to get to this format?

Maybe they thought the 300 point format was broken and it needed to be fixed? Or maybe they were afraid of running short or long on a particular show (depending on how the families were doing answering the questions) and didn't want to deal with the big speed-up/stretch scenario with Louie.

Then again, I thought the big fix was the return of the Lucky Lollipop Trees... ;-)

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Card Shark

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 09:56:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 05:30 AM\'] According to mandelweb.com:

There have been a number of changes, one of which I know will please a lot of the game show fans out there. The show now tapes at Tribune Studios (aka the KTLA studios and aka the studios where Whammy!, Russian Roulette, Let's Make Deal 2003, and Greed taped). It seemed like the new theme and cues were back (the non-classic one)...not sure why though. But the most major change...the game is now played to 300 points: single, single, double, triple. Three strikes every round. SUCH a big improvement. I really felt more invested in watching the game and following each question with this. The games play so much better. And it's hardcore classic rules in regards to scores on steals. That is, a family that steals a question doesn't get the points for the answer the "stole" with. Richard seems to be loosening up a bit. In fact, I was having a major Richard Dawson flashback with one particular family interview. I believe though that what I saw were the first two shows of the "B" episodes in double-run markets.

Now the big question is: why did Pearson/Fremantle take to long to get to this format? [/quote]
 So, in other words, they're not using the Ray Combs mix of the original theme anymore?
Adam Strom

bandit_bobby

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 10:20:46 AM »
Yes.

The only things missing now is upping Fast Money to $10 per point, and possibly a jackpot there($10,000 + $5,000 not won, up to $50,000). But the former is more likely to happen, if the show is likely to go on after this season.

Matt Ottinger

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 11:46:13 AM »
The obvious answer would seem to be that they felt for the sake of the production itself, they wanted to lock in exactly how much game was going to be played for each show.  Now, as it was in the original, it will be possible for one family to win after three rounds.  It also becomes possible that a FIFTH round will be necessary.  (Either that, or they've got a quickie solution if no one's got 300 after four rounds.)  The production now has to take those possibilities into account.  It was definitely easier for them the other way, it just wasn't as good a game.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 12:12:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 08:56 AM\'] So, in other words, they're not using the Ray Combs mix of the original theme anymore? [/quote]
 Seems like it, and I, for one, am cool with that change. 1) I never was fond of the Combs remix, 2) it sounded out of place on this version, 3) they chopped it to pieces, making it sound even more awkward. Personal gripe: I got tired of hearing that one same cue every time they came in from a commercial. It got old for me. :-P

If they want to use an old Feud theme, use the 94 remix.

Also, it's good to know they dropped the fourth Triple round. Now we have ourselves a game. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 12:15:55 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 09:20 AM\'] Yes.

The only things missing now is upping Fast Money to $10 per point, and possibly a jackpot there($10,000 + $5,000 not won, up to $50,000). But the former is more likely to happen, if the show is likely to go on after this season. [/quote]
 No way. $20,000 is a nice round number, esp. when the show already has returning champions.  Besides, Fast Money isn't lost too often, so the potential jackpots would probably stay in the $10,000-$25,000 range. The $10 a point isn't too bad of an idea, but it's not a necessity either, but it works for inflation.

One thing that *could* be brought back: the maingame points be reverted to dollars, like in every other run.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 12:51:59 PM »
I can picture Richard Karn saying \"Thisisround5, everybodylistencarefully,we'regonnamovefast.\"

seriously, though, i look forward to this change.

combsisthebest

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 01:19:08 PM »
Finally a good change to the show. I never really didn't like Louie Feud music so the change is okay with me. I just hope it is syndicated here again.

TV Favorites

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2003, 01:47:20 PM »
I'm really glad Fremantle decided to change the rules.  I'm a little bummed about the classic theme being gone, but I'd rather have a change in the scoring than then old theme.  Is the theme being used the one that was from the earliest episodes of Karn's Feud or is it the one that appeared on Score Production's website?

I always thought that the best way to do the triple rounds were to do like Dawson did...read the question to the family once and each of them gets 3 seconds to answer.  If they would do that for all triple rounds, they may be able to fit extras in without running over in time.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 02:01:30 PM by TV Favorites »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
FF Season 5 info
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2003, 03:38:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 02:30 AM\'] According to mandelweb.com:

It seemed like the new theme and cues were back (the non-classic one)...not sure why though. But the most major change...the game is now played to 300 points: single, single, double, triple. Three strikes every round. [/quote]
 That is in fact a change worth getting excited about. I'm a little unsurprised to see griping about the music...if it means getting the GAME right, they can replace the theme with \"Puff The Magic Dragon\" for all I care...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mandelweb

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2003, 04:11:17 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 12:47 PM\']I always thought that the best way to do the triple rounds were to do like Dawson did...read the question to the family once and each of them gets 3 seconds to answer.  If they would do that for all triple rounds, they may be able to fit extras in without running over in time.[/quote]
And that's exactly what is done for the Triple round.  Richard reads the question once and goes down the line for each answer.  

Like all of you, I'm glad to see this change finally being made.   I had constantly brought up the scoring issue as long as I have been with the company.  And every time I did, I had been given several reasons as to why the \"single-single-single-triple\" system needed to be used.

Then, this summer, a decision was made to explore revamping the scoring system for this year.  The main issue was how to keep the average number of questions to four and to keep the show within time because we have considerably less \"program time\" than the Combs version and I think we even have less time than when this version started in 1999!

I suggested a few structures including single-single-double triple to 300, single-double-double-triple to 400, and single-single-single-double to 200.  Ultimately, the 300 scenario was decided upon to keep the average number of questions in each show to four.

Yes, there is the possibility of no team reaching 300 after a fourth question.   A fifth round will be played.  I hadn't heard what was ultimately decided upon, but at one point that fifth round consisted of a sudden-death bullseye-type question.

- Mandel
http://mandelweb.com

SimpsonGeek

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2003, 04:15:22 PM »
A quick question, if they've changed studios has the set changed or did you transport it to the new studio

mandelweb

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2003, 04:26:16 PM »
[quote name=\'SimpsonGeek\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 03:15 PM\']A quick question, if they've changed studios has the set changed or did you transport it to the new studio[/quote]
There aren't any changes in the main set.  It was just transported to the Tribune Studios.  The stage that \"Feud\" is on was also used by \"Greed\" and \"Win Ben Stein's Money.\"

The thing closest to a set modification is that the area where the contestant waits offstage for Fast Money has been dressed up a bit.  This is because on occasion (probably when we need to fill time because of a three-round win), we'll cut to a shot of the 2nd Fast Money contestant waiting backstage.

- Mandel
http://mandelweb.com

Don Howard

FF Season 5 info
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2003, 04:41:34 PM »
if it means getting the GAME right, they can replace the theme with \"Puff The Magic Dragon\" for all I care...

Oh, that'd be neat!!