Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Howie Mandel -- a game show host?  (Read 9362 times)

Robair

--Robair

BrandonFG

Howie Mandel -- a game show host?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 05:33:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 05:19 AM\']http://tv.yahoo.com/news/va/20051031/113075142200.html

Discuss.
[snapback]100826[/snapback]
[/quote]

Interesting choice. I know someone is going to complain; I just wonder what led NBC to decide on Howie, considering he's not really a household name, compared to 15 years ago. Other than the occasional "Tonight Show" appearance, he really hasn't been in high demand.

Yeah, there was the talk show from the late-90s, then "Bobby's World", but how long ago was 1998?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 05:54:11 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Robair

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 06:19:53 AM »
They do try to get him to fill in for Regis Philbin on his live show whenever he can, and he's been doing that for the past ten years or so. He is a very good host, quick witted, not as goony and crazy as he used to be.
--Robair

joshg

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 06:33:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 03:19 AM\']He is a very good host, quick witted, not as goony and crazy as he used to be.
[snapback]100829[/snapback]
[/quote]

...and can fill a ton of time because this game sounds like it doesn't have any meat to it. Where's that useless $100 puzzle now?
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

WhammyPower

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 07:27:16 AM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 06:33 AM\']Where's that useless $100 puzzle now?
[snapback]100830[/snapback]
[/quote]
*hands a card*

Your option, pass or play?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 07:27:32 AM by WhammyPower »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 08:22:42 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 05:33 AM\']Yeah, there was the talk show from the late-90s, then "Bobby's World", but how long ago was 1998?
[snapback]100827[/snapback]
[/quote]
Bobby's World was much earlier than '98.  I was a little kid when that was on, and I wasn't a little kid in '98.  He's been out of the game for a while now.... interesting choice.

Brandon Brooks

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 08:44:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 09:22 AM\']Bobby's World was much earlier than '98.
[snapback]100835[/snapback]
[/quote]

He was talking about the talk show.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 08:46:12 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 08:44 AM\'][quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 09:22 AM\']Bobby's World was much earlier than '98.
[snapback]100835[/snapback]
[/quote]

He was talking about the talk show.
[snapback]100836[/snapback]
[/quote]
I worded it wrong, but I *was* indeed referring to the talk show as 1998. Bobby's World was definitely early-90s.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Tetsujin Chico

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 10:24:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 05:19 AM\']http://tv.yahoo.com/news/va/20051031/113075142200.html

Discuss.
[snapback]100826[/snapback]
[/quote]

I say, as I always say at a time like this... "You can do much worse." :)

~C

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 10:41:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 09:22 AM\'] He's been out of the game for a while now.... interesting choice.[/quote]
"Out of the game" suggests he's been sitting on his front porch, living off St Elsewhere residuals and waiting for his phone to ring.  Howie is by profession a stand-up comic, so most of the time he's making a very lucrative living on the road.  Plus, he has been on TV a lot in the last year, maybe just not anything you've seen.

The one Australia episode of DoND I saw had a very traditional host, and while I found their little game interesting on the one viewing, I quickly saw how redundant it would be in the long run.  Having a comic host could help a lot.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Tetsujin Chico

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 10:52:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 10:41 AM\']"Out of the game" suggests he's been sitting on his front porch, living off St Elsewhere residuals and waiting for his phone to ring.  Howie is by profession a stand-up comic, so most of the time he's making a very lucrative living on the road.  Plus, he has been on TV a lot in the last year, maybe just not anything you've seen.

The one Australia episode of DoND I saw had a very traditional host, and while I found their little game interesting on the one viewing, I quickly saw how redundant it would be in the long run.  Having a comic host could help a lot.
[snapback]100840[/snapback]
[/quote]

Agreed... Especially this comic for some reason. I don't know, something about a man putting a rubber glove on his head and having an "oh my God he's going for it" look on his face (I cite numerous episodes of Bobby's World and his guest stints as Mr. Mxyzptlk (sp?)) on Lois & Clark.

~C

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 12:11:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Tetsujin Chico\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 11:52 AM\']Agreed... Especially this comic for some reason. I don't know, something about a man putting a rubber glove on his head and having an "oh my God he's going for it" look on his face [/quote]
For the record, he doesn't do this signature bit anymore.  Turns out he perforated his sinus cavity.  He's actually got a funny bit about a doctor, unfamiliar with his act, who wondered what could be putting so much pressure on his sinus.

Howie also becomes the second game show host who's made a big deal about his OCD.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 12:21:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 31 2005, 10:41 AM\']The one Australia episode of DoND I saw had a very traditional host, and while I found their little game interesting on the one viewing, I quickly saw how redundant it would be in the long run.  Having a comic host could help a lot.
[snapback]100840[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, he did make Joan Baez laugh.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

megamanj1986

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »
Hmmmmmm. I did grow on Bobby's World and also remember seeing his talk show, so maybe it might work. Who knows?

tvrandywest

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 02:03:28 PM »
While simple, especially by Jay Wopert standards, the format is on the air in 38 countries and does contain some great moments of drama. I agree with Matt that the choice of a host like Howie can add the kind of element that can make for a hit. One person working the show drew the analogy of Groucho making the simple game behind "You Bet Your Life" a monster smash.

Before somebody posts it, I know, Howie is not Groucho. But Groucho would likely go over like a lead balloon with today's 18-49 viewers. Howie is an experienced pro with exceptional ad-lib skills. I'm looking forward to seeing him combine the host responsibilities with his quick wit and his ability to draw out the relateable aspects of contestants' personalities.

The production values will be huge, and the show will feature at least one model familiar to us uber-fans from her previous game show stint. I'm thrilled to be working "Deal or No Deal", and will post more after we tape.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 02:07:52 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com