Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Johnny, tell them what they've won!"  (Read 16705 times)

alfonzos

"Johnny, tell them what they've won!"
« on: September 28, 2005, 02:07:38 PM »
There is a radio commercial running in Los Angeles that is a parody of game shows. (There are a lot of game show parody commercials. But that is a topic for another day.) Anyway, the host guy says. "Johnny, tell them what they've won!" It is so cliche that I started it wonder if it is a quote from an actual game show? Has any host ever said that on any game show? Is it a reference to Johnny Olson or Johnny Jacobs or anybody else?

Does anybody know?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 02:43:56 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 01:07 PM\']There is a radio commercial running in Los Angeles that is a parody of game shows. (There are a lot of game show parody commercials. But that is a topic for another day.) Anyway, the host guy says. "Johnny, tell them what they've won!" It is so cliche that I started it wonder if it is a quote from an actual game show? Has any host ever said that on any game show? Is it a reference to Johnny Olson or Johnny Jacobs or anybody else?

Does anybody know?
[snapback]97937[/snapback]
[/quote]

At this point, it's probably become more urban legend than anything else (thanks to the Doonesbury strip--"What do we have for the witnesses, Johnnie?"  "Well, Senator, from Speidel, it's the latest in watchbands!"), but I'm sure that something like it has been said at least once.

More likely, it's the combination of something you'd expect an announcer to say and the fact that there were at least three (and probably more) announcers named "Johnny" dong game shows that have made it a cliche.  But I personally tend to associate that line or something like it with Monty Hall to Jay Stewart or Bob Barker to Charlie Lyon, not to Messrs. Olson or Jacobs.

mystery7

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 06:22:56 PM »
Since the VO guys invariably puke up a bad impersonation of him every time they do a spot like this, I've come to believe "Johnny" is actually a ref to Don Pardo.

musicman

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 07:14:28 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 01:07 PM\']Is it a reference to Johnny Olson or Johnny Jacobs or anybody else?

Does anybody know?
[/quote]

What about Johnny Gilbert?

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 08:19:33 PM »
Probably just a stereotype thing...but it helps knowing there were several Johnny _______ game show announcers.  (Cues MG 7X Think music).

jbrocato

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 07:41:20 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 07:19 PM\']Probably just a stereotype thing...but it helps knowing there were several Johnny _______ game show announcers.  (Cues MG 7X Think music).
[snapback]97990[/snapback]
[/quote]

At Busch Stadium, in its final regular-season week (sigh), there is a Southwest Airlines Family of the Game, who play a LMAD-type game.  They can take 4 tickets to an upcoming Cardinal game or choose from one of three doors.  If they opt for a door, the MC says, "Johnny, tell them what they've won!"  (The PA announcer is John Ulett, a St. Louis DJ.)

John Brocato

JamesVipond

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 09:17:55 AM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 01:07 PM\']There is a radio commercial running in Los Angeles that is a parody of game shows. (There are a lot of game show parody commercials. But that is a topic for another day.) Anyway, the host guy says. "Johnny, tell them what they've won!" It is so cliche that I started it wonder if it is a quote from an actual game show? Has any host ever said that on any game show? Is it a reference to Johnny Olson or Johnny Jacobs or anybody else?

Does anybody know?
[/quote]

The nearest thing that comes to my mind is Jack Narz on Concentration asking Johnny Olson to describe the prizes the contestant has won for solving the rebus.
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 10:43:43 AM »
[quote name=\'JamesVipond\' date=\'Sep 29 2005, 08:17 AM\'][quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Sep 28 2005, 01:07 PM\']There is a radio commercial running in Los Angeles that is a parody of game shows. (There are a lot of game show parody commercials. But that is a topic for another day.) Anyway, the host guy says. "Johnny, tell them what they've won!" It is so cliche that I started it wonder if it is a quote from an actual game show? Has any host ever said that on any game show? Is it a reference to Johnny Olson or Johnny Jacobs or anybody else?

Does anybody know?
[/quote]

The nearest thing that comes to my mind is Jack Narz on Concentration asking Johnny Olson to describe the prizes the contestant has won for solving the rebus.
[snapback]98050[/snapback]
[/quote]

But it goes back farther than that.

And in thinking it over with "Concentration," I think more of Hugh Downs saying, "...and here's Art James (or whoever) to tell you *exactly* what you won!"  Which brings in mind Art reading the specifications sheet for every item, while (until the mid-60s or so) Milt Kaye was tinkling away on the celeste.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 01:17:26 PM »
[quote name=\'jbrocato\' date=\'Sep 29 2005, 04:41 AM\']At Busch Stadium, in its final regular-season week (sigh),
[/quote]
While Busch was _almost_ tolerable following the remodel, when they moved the scoreboard to the outfield upper-deck seats and put in real grass, the idea of someone mourning the loss of the last late-60's/early-70's cookie-cutter ballpark (seeing as Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Cincinnati, and Philadelphia are all in new homes; while RFK (only tenuously part of the cookie-cutter movement anyhow) has been brought out of the mothballs, it's only until their new park gets built) reminds me of the people who were actually sorry to be seeing the Kingdome go when we blew the damned thing up, while those of us with any sense were dancing a freakin' jig. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 01:23:02 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 08:32:42 PM »
By chance, Chris...ever gone to Safeco for an M's game, and if so, have you had an Ichi-roll?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 08:35:02 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Sep 29 2005, 05:32 PM\']By chance, Chris...ever gone to Safeco for an M's game, and if so, have you had an Ichi-roll?
[snapback]98100[/snapback]
[/quote]
Quite a few times, and what I do in my spare time is my own business. ;)

Actually, I've just developed an appreciation for sushi recently, so I haven't had it out at the yard. My usual ballpark fare is either a hot dog and garlic fries, or Porter's BBQ (with a liberal dose of The Man, please!), followed up by some Dippin' Dots around the sixth inning. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 08:35:15 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 08:41:20 PM »
You don't know ballpark cuisine til you head out my way to Citizens Bank Park (not your typical ballpark) and try a Schmitter, a true Philly cheesesteak...aka a quintuple bypass on an Amoroso roll.  To quote Bill Rafferty: "Mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm, lip smackin' good!"

sshuffield70

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 11:09:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 29 2005, 12:17 PM\'][quote name=\'jbrocato\' date=\'Sep 29 2005, 04:41 AM\']At Busch Stadium, in its final regular-season week (sigh),
[/quote]
While Busch was _almost_ tolerable following the remodel, when they moved the scoreboard to the outfield upper-deck seats and put in real grass, the idea of someone mourning the loss of the last late-60's/early-70's cookie-cutter ballpark (seeing as Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Cincinnati, and Philadelphia are all in new homes; while RFK (only tenuously part of the cookie-cutter movement anyhow) has been brought out of the mothballs, it's only until their new park gets built) reminds me of the people who were actually sorry to be seeing the Kingdome go when we blew the damned thing up, while those of us with any sense were dancing a freakin' jig. :)
[snapback]98063[/snapback]
[/quote]

And of all the road teams, the biggest boos are being reserved for the Texas Rangers, who, if they make it back in time, would be playing in RFK for the first time since the '71 season.  The Rangers played the Nationals at home this year, but played the Expos on the road last year.

trainman

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 12:48:27 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Sep 29 2005, 05:41 PM\']You don't know ballpark cuisine til you head out my way to Citizens Bank Park (not your typical ballpark) and try a Schmitter, a true Philly cheesesteak...aka a quintuple bypass on an Amoroso roll.
[snapback]98102[/snapback]
[/quote]

Done.  (Just the eating part, not the quintuple bypass part.)  Sorry, I like the Primanti sandwiches across the state at PNC Park better.  But you don't have to listen to me, since there's photographic evidence of me wearing a Tampa Bay Devil Rays shirt to a Phillies-Brewers game.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 12:49:48 AM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

Jumpondees

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 02:54:02 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Sep 29 2005, 11:48 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Sep 29 2005, 05:41 PM\']You don't know ballpark cuisine til you head out my way to Citizens Bank Park (not your typical ballpark) and try a Schmitter, a true Philly cheesesteak...aka a quintuple bypass on an Amoroso roll.
[snapback]98102[/snapback]
[/quote]

Done.  (Just the eating part, not the quintuple bypass part.)  Sorry, I like the Primanti sandwiches across the state at PNC Park better.  But you don't have to listen to me, since there's photographic evidence of me wearing a Tampa Bay Devil Rays shirt to a Phillies-Brewers game.
[snapback]98126[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've been to Philly before...and if I was THAT desperate for a cheesesteak, I'd go to South Street where I can get a better cheesesteak for about 60% less than what I would expect to pay at CBP.

As for PNC...Those monkeys that work for Aramark have NO CLUE about Primanti's sammitches...Again, I'd have to go to one of the real establishments and get the REAL product vs. what is a overpriced clone.  

Now I'm hungry...what time does Primanti's on the South Side open up??
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 02:55:55 AM by Jumpondees »