Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune Past Promos  (Read 15956 times)

gsnman

Wheel of Fortune Past Promos
« on: August 09, 2005, 03:16:46 AM »
Hey, does anyone remember any interesting Wheel promos from the past?

I recall the "I'm a Wheel Watcher" one from WUSA channel 9, back when it was the first station before ABC 7 to air the show.

I can also remember WMAR ABC 2 (back when it was NBC at the time) showing a nice clip of Vanna doing her little twirl after Pat introduced her.

Which station airs Wheel in your area, and what promo can you recall regarding the show?

rugrats1

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 08:52:56 PM »
In Tampa Bay, WFLA ch.8, which carried the syndied Wheel in the late-1980s (later returning to WTSP ch.10), also carried the "Wheel Watcher" promos.

The song was sung to the tune, "I'm A Girl Watcher" -- I can still remember the ending:

"I'm a Wheel Watcher,
I'm a Wheel Watcher,
Become one now!"

I thought it was kind of catchy -- I wonder why Pat didn't like it.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 09:33:04 PM »
When WoF switched in the Scranton/WB area from WNEP-16 to WYOU-22 in either 1985 or 1986, I remember a commercial with a whole bunch of kids playing Wheel of Fortune on their own outdoor set that they made, or something like that......That was the promo WYOU used to tout the switch..

musicman

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 10:11:57 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnman\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 02:16 AM\']Which station airs Wheel in your area, and what promo can you recall regarding the show?
[snapback]93686[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't remember any past promos, but all I can tell you is that WOF is shown (for as long as I can remember) at 6:30pmCDT on WCCO channel 4. (CBS affiliate)

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 12:22:09 AM »
[quote name=\'gsnman\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 02:16 AM\']Hey, does anyone remember any interesting Wheel promos from the past?
[snapback]93686[/snapback]
[/quote]
In the weeks leading to the syndicated launch, Jack Clark announced the promo plugging the premiere. In one scene, a security guard opened a briefcase filled with cash. At promo's end, a winning contestant with his hand on his bosom and the briefcase being handed to him by hostess Vanna White and then the local voice of David Mark told Cleveland viewers of WEWS-TV5 that Wheel Of Fortune would premiere on Monday, September 5th at 7pm--a time period and channel it holds to this day. During its first year, it was followed by The Joker's Wild. Jeopardy! has been the 7:30pm show since Fall 1984.
In a few subsequent seasons, I believe Dick Tufeld's voice was heard on the promos.
Oh, almost forgot. There was a letdown when no such briefcase of bucks was offered when the program hit the air. Shame!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 12:25:35 AM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 12:23:59 AM »
Airs on WVEC at 7 pm. I remember the "I'm a Wheel Watcher" promos from the late-80s. There was also one from the early-90s with something about "Wheel is America's Game!" That's the only part of the song I remember.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

$100kPyramidfan

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 12:28:00 AM »
I don't really remember any specific Wheel promo, but I do remember here in Duluth, GA (near Atlanta), WAGA-TV 5 aired it a long time ago at 7:00, when it was still a CBS station. Now it's on WXIA-TV 11 at 7:30.
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

Mark McNeil

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 12:53:15 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 11:23 PM\'] There was also one from the early-90s with something about "Wheel is America's Game!" That's the only part of the song I remember.
[snapback]93739[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think that was from around the mid-90s. Didn't Aretha Franklin sing that jingle?

One I remember from the early-90s is "Wheel Is Gonna Get You", sung to the tune of "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You".

It airs at 6:30 Central Time on WTOK, Channel 11 in Meridian and WDAM, Channel 7 in Laurel / Hattiesburg.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 06:25:28 PM by Mark McNeil »

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 01:14:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Mark McNeil\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 11:53 PM\']  I think that was from around the mid-90s. Didn't Aretha Franklin sing that jingle?
[snapback]93743[/snapback]
[/quote]

Come to think of it, that did sound a lot like Aretha. And for some reason, some more lyrics are coming into my head.

Wheel of Fortune is America's game,
Spin the wheel,
Buy a vowel....
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 01:18:40 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 12:14 AM\'][quote name=\'Mark McNeil\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 11:53 PM\']  I think that was from around the mid-90s. Didn't Aretha Franklin sing that jingle?
[/quote]
Come to think of it, that did sound a lot like Aretha. And for some reason, some more lyrics are coming into my head.
Wheel of Fortune is America's game,
Spin the wheel,
Buy a vowel....

[snapback]93747[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'd plum forgotten about that one. In fact, wasn't The Queen Of Soul actually shown on camera for one of those?

gsnman

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 02:23:43 AM »
Since we're sharing more stations that air or used to air Wheel of Fortune, here are the ones I recall:

Winston-Salem, NC--WXII channel 12, then WGHP channel 8, and now WFMY channel 2

Durham, NC (my hometown)--Still WTVD channel 11

Jacksonville, FL--WTLV NBC 12 (originally ABC 12 when it debuted in 1983)

New Bern/Greenville/Washington, NC--WCTI-TV 12, then WITN channel 7

Myrtle Beach, SC (Vanna's hometown)--WBTW 13

Richmond, VA -- WXEX (now WRIC)-TV8  (ABC)

Most of the stations that carry the show love the 7 p.m. slot over the 7:30 p.m. one.  I wonder why.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 04:25:29 AM »
Where I'm at, WPVI-TV 6(6 ABC as it's affectionately called) in Philadelphia airs WOF at 7:30 PM following J! there weeknights.   I too remember those "Wheel Watcher" promos.  I seem to remember they did a promo touting the fact that they were in Philly last year.  Not sure if I remember them doing that the first time they visited there a few years ago.  It's always nice to see promos of game shows especially if they visit your neck of the woods.  If they do, keep an eye out for tnem.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 04:41:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 10:18 PM\']I'd plum forgotten about that one. In fact, wasn't The Queen Of Soul actually shown on camera for one of those?
[/quote]
She was, yes.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 08:00:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 11:22 PM\']
In the weeks leading to the syndicated launch, Jack Clark announced the promo plugging the premiere. In one scene, a security guard opened a briefcase filled with cash.
Oh, almost forgot. There was a letdown when no such briefcase of bucks was offered when the program hit the air. Shame!
[snapback]93738[/snapback]
[/quote]

That was a clip from a June 1983 Battle of the Sexes week from the daytime Wheel. The top male and female contestant of the week competed on the Friday show, and the winner of the day played the bonus round for the attache case with $5K in cash. The first special week the syndie WOF ever did was a Battle of the Sexes week, the bonus round for the Friday finals of that September 1987 week was played for $20K in cash.

sshuffield70

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 09:02:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Mark McNeil\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 11:53 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 11:23 PM\'] There was also one from the early-90s with something about "Wheel is America's Game!" That's the only part of the song I remember.
[snapback]93739[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think that was from around the mid-90s. Didn't Aretha Franklin sing that jingle?
  One I remember from the early-90s is "Wheel Is Gonna Get You", sung to the tune of "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You".
   It airs at 6:30 Central Time on WTOK, Channel 11 in Meridian and WDAM, Channel 7 in Laurel / Hattiesburg.
[/quote]

Don't think that would have been Aretha.....since that's a Gloria Estefan song.

Anyway, in Dallas:

KXAS 5 - 1983-87
WFAA 8 - 1987-2005
KTVT 11 - 2005 -