Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Conan O'Brien 8/5/05  (Read 5117 times)

BrandonFG

Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« on: August 05, 2005, 12:43:33 AM »
John O'Hurley will be one of his guests. Chances are, he'll be talking about "Dancing With the Stars", not TTTT, so no ice cream pony orders. ;-)

If you don't catch this in time, CNBC (or is it MSNBC?) should air the repeat tomorrow at 7 pm EST.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 12:44:08 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 01:25:14 AM »
CNBC, right after "Mad Money."   Why do they show Conan letterboxed?.  Is there that much on the sides of the set we have to see?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 01:33:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 10:25 PM\']CNBC, right after "Mad Money."   Why do they show Conan letterboxed?.  Is there that much on the sides of the set we have to see?
[/quote]
Because the show's being shot in hi-def now, which means by definition it's a widescreen picture. Right now? No, not much on the sides, but then the Conan set was blocked for a 4x3 picture. As time moves on, the old aspect ratio is phased out, and sets start being blocked for widescreen, you'll start seeing that real estate used.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 01:38:36 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what could shows as mundane as Conan's (from a techno point of view) use with the extra space? Quality is the best it's getting from the HD deal IMO - sports broadcasts, movies and the like might like the ratio, but...

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 01:51:27 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 10:38 PM\']Pardon my ignorance, but what could shows as mundane as Conan's (from a techno point of view) use with the extra space? Quality is the best it's getting from the HD deal IMO - sports broadcasts, movies and the like might like the ratio, but...
[/quote]
Wide shots of a musical guest performing (or, indeed, the Max Weinberg 7) come immediately to mind. How about seeing a clip from a movie a guest is pimping exactly as you would at the theater, no letterboxing?

In terms of just the guest and the host? How about a closer shot that still includes both principals, and takes advantage of that great resolution? See just how horrible Jessica Simpson's skin really is?

Granted, it isn't much, but remember, that setup as you see it now has been ingrained in set designer's and director's heads for almost fifty years now. So it's gonna take time to get everyone thinking a different way.

Jimmy Owen

Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 02:45:56 AM »
With hi-def, they would probably have to go in and digitally "fix" Jessica's chin because of all the acne.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 02:47:37 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 03:00:18 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 09:51 PM\'][quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 10:38 PM\']Pardon my ignorance, but what could shows as mundane as Conan's (from a techno point of view) use with the extra space? Quality is the best it's getting from the HD deal IMO - sports broadcasts, movies and the like might like the ratio, but...
[/quote]
Wide shots of a musical guest performing (or, indeed, the Max Weinberg 7) come immediately to mind.
[snapback]93352[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's the Max Weinberg 9!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 03:00:45 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

FOXSportsFan

Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 09:51:36 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 02:00 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 09:51 PM\'][quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 10:38 PM\']Pardon my ignorance, but what could shows as mundane as Conan's (from a techno point of view) use with the extra space? Quality is the best it's getting from the HD deal IMO - sports broadcasts, movies and the like might like the ratio, but...
[/quote]
Wide shots of a musical guest performing (or, indeed, the Max Weinberg 7) come immediately to mind.
[snapback]93352[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's the Max Weinberg 9!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]93356[/snapback]
[/quote]

...with Randy wearing La Bamba's hat no less.

Look at it this way, they could always use the extra space for Abe Vigoda and John Tesh.

Adam Nedeff

Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 12:04:10 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 12:38 AM\']Pardon my ignorance, but what could shows as mundane as Conan's (from a techno point of view) use with the extra space?
[snapback]93351[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't think you're alone in feeling that way. The first week of the hi-def format, Conan did a few jokes and comedy pieces about it with these overtones of "This is such a stupid idea."

Ultimately though, Chris is right, it's just a matter of getting used to for everybody, even Conan. FWIW, the shots of Conan talking to a guest look great in the new format (less cramped, specifically) and it's only during those first 15 minutes when Conan is out there alone that it looks weird.

I'm curious about Chris's observation about set design being affected by the aspect ratio...How would a hi-def set design look any different, and how would it prevent the scene from looking awkward when it's just Conan surrounded by a great big empty? Anybody can answer this one, I guess, I'm not personally challenging Chris.

Matt Ottinger

Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 12:28:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 12:04 PM\']I'm curious about Chris's observation about set design being affected by the aspect ratio...How would a hi-def set design look any different, and how would it prevent the scene from looking awkward when it's just Conan surrounded by a great big empty? [/quote]
Either I'm not completely understanding your question (which is likely) or I'm surprised you don't know the answer to this yourself.  

Set designers (good ones, anyway) have created sets for half a century based on the knowledge that people at home are watching on a 4x3 box.  Sooner or later, the shape of the box will change significantly, and modern set designers (good ones, anyway) will take that into account and design sets based on this new shape.  

It's not as simple as just adding stuff to fill up the sides.  Creative designers will look at that 16x9 box and make sets that appeal to the eye in that space, just as movie cinematographers have been doing for years.   Sure, there will be some things -- like late-night comedians' monologues -- where our own perceptions will have to adjust.  Many newscasts, national and local (not to mention The Daily Show), have already been making subtle changes toward the new aspect ratio.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 02:21:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 09:28 AM\']Sure, there will be some things -- like late-night comedians' monologues -- where our own perceptions will have to adjust.
[/quote]
Two words: chaise lounge.

(Pierre Bernard is clearly a visionary.)

FOXSportsFan

Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 02:31:58 PM »
The best examples of such sets are news sets.  Best one that comes to mind is WNBC's current set with it's half a million dollar hi-def video background of NYC.  Of course, WCAU in Philly has the worst example of this idea.  The rear projection monitor in back of their set...it's great...for me to pee on (hey, Triumph took poop, I was left going number 1).

MikeK

• Martha!
Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 06:27:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 01:25 AM\']CNBC, right after "Mad Money."[/quote]
BOOYAH, JIMMY!  (Jim Cramer is the best thing to happen to CNBC in a very long time.  Adding Conan O'Brien reruns after the deal with Comedy Central lapsed is second.)

I caught O'Hurley on O'Brien last night.  It wasn't a bad segment, primarily about O'Hurley's experience on Dancing with the Stars and the new "adults only" Mega M&Ms.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 07:49:11 PM »
16x9 is a boon for the producers of Family Guy. Baby Football Head's (Stewie Griffin's) head was designed specifically for 16x9.

Klauss: Has Cramer made you any money?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 07:51:47 PM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Conan O'Brien 8/5/05
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 07:59:46 PM »
Set designers (good ones, anyway) have created sets for half a century based on the knowledge that people at home are watching on a 4x3 box. Sooner or later, the shape of the box will change significantly, and modern set designers (good ones, anyway) will take that into account and design sets based on this new shape.
Just curious, what would a bad set designer do?

Here is an interesting factoid (well, interesting to me): If the trilons on the Concentration board measured 5" x 8" on a facet, 8" x 5 = 40" in width, by 5" x 6 = 30" in height, thus the board measured 40" x 30", giving it a 4 x 3 aspect ratio.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 08:06:30 PM by chris319 »