Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lingo 4th season  (Read 5554 times)

whewfan

Lingo 4th season
« on: August 01, 2005, 07:55:32 PM »
Lingo is back!

The intro has been steamlined a bit... no animated intro, no more of Chuck and hostess descending a staircase, and after the contestants introduce themselves, Chuck simply introduces himself. This was done likely to try to squeeze in more gameplay.

The set looks similar to season three. No more neon, but the same general color scheme.

One of the best parts of Lingo is Chuck's interviewing style with the players. Very reminiscent of the good ol' days on Wheel of Fortune.

New hostess Shane (I don't know her last name!) First day jitters were evident, and she didn't always announce every number for a Lingo. However, in some ways she reminded me of a young Susan Stafford. As the season progresses, their interaction will hopefully sound more natural. In any case, she's fine, and she doesn't hinder with the gameplay at all.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Lingo 4th season
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 07:58:09 PM »
As the season progresses, their interaction will hopefully sound more natural.

Are we forgetting that in this day in age, especially on GSN, they're apt to run episodes out of tape order for whatever reason?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

Lingo 4th season
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 08:08:57 PM »
Who had the better highlights, Chuck or Shandi?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Lingo 4th season
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 08:09:33 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Aug 1 2005, 04:55 PM\']New hostess Shane (I don't know her last name!)
[/quote]
Or her first, apparently. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

Lingo 4th season
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 08:11:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 1 2005, 07:08 PM\']Who had the better highlights, Chuck or Shandi?
[snapback]92932[/snapback]
[/quote]

Theres your "Line of the Day" folks..... tip your servers and try the veal.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Chelsea Thrasher

Lingo 4th season
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 12:10:25 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Aug 1 2005, 07:11 PM\']
Theres your "Line of the Day" folks..... tip your servers and try the veal.
[snapback]92934[/snapback]
[/quote]

What about tipping your veal and trying the servers?

Ian Wallis

Lingo 4th season
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 09:29:24 AM »
What about tipping your veal and trying the servers?

Ok - you win - maybe that could be "Line of the Day" for today  :)

Oh wait...that was posted before midnight...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 09:31:11 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

bandit_bobby

Lingo 4th season
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 01:32:04 PM »
I think the online game they're doing with this is very cool. They're not only giving these people a chance to win money, but a chance to be on the fifth season of Lingo, IF there is one. They're making us enjoy the play-at-home experience more than ever!

jmangin

Lingo 4th season
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 09:44:52 PM »
I--quite honestly--have never seen the appeal with this show.  To me, it's incredibly boring to see how many five-letter words people know.  It's just the same thing over and over and over and over with almost no recognizable variety between shows.  I would have been perfectly satisfied having them repeat those 20 shows from the Netherlands (or wherever it was) they originally aired in 2002.

The same can be said for Wheel & Jeopardy, but with Wheel there is enough variety that it's not the same thing every day, and I think Pat adds more to the show than Chuck does on Lingo (that's not really a fair comparison, though; I guess the ultimate death match would be to have Pat host Lingo--but don't go getting any ideas, saussage!!!).  Jeopardy is pretty much the same thing over and over, but J! is more mentally-stimulating than Lingo.

sshuffield70

Lingo 4th season
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 11:22:14 PM »
I haven't seen enough shows....but I'm noticing that the same words keep coming up at least once a season (PARTY came up for at least the third time that I know of.)  You reckon this wouldn't happen as much if a computer were choosing the words again instead of a group of writers whose minds are constantly in the gutter?

Speedy G

Lingo 4th season
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 12:09:01 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Aug 2 2005, 11:22 PM\']I haven't seen enough shows....but I'm noticing that the same words keep coming up at least once a season (PARTY came up for at least the third time that I know of.)  You reckon this wouldn't happen as much if a computer were choosing the words again instead of a group of writers whose minds are constantly in the gutter?
[snapback]93106[/snapback]
[/quote]
Was there ever a computer choosing the words?

It's either you have writers picking "guessable" words, or (searches for close matches to randomly-picked letters FJDID) GADID, FJELD, and FETED are all within the realm of possibility.  Ever play BigJon's Lingo game when it pulled from the entire dictionary?
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

sshuffield70

Lingo 4th season
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 08:51:56 AM »
I haven't....but that was the original idea.  The Amiga used all English 5 letter words in the game.  Hey, at least they didn't repeat as often.

Ian Wallis

Lingo 4th season
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 09:24:07 AM »
Although I find both shows enjoyable, didn't you find "Password" was basically the same over and over again?  Speaking of words repeating, I read somewhere that the original version of the show had a list of (I think) about 2000 "playable" words - meaning words were repeating on that show at least twice a year.  Add in the long run and you saw the same words many times.  Maybe that's one of the reasons they switched to a puzzle format on "Password Plus".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

Lingo 4th season
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 09:44:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 3 2005, 08:24 AM\']Although I find both shows enjoyable, didn't you find "Password" was basically the same over and over again?  Speaking of words repeating, I read somewhere that the original version of the show had a list of (I think) about 2000 "playable" words - meaning words were repeating on that show at least twice a year.  Add in the long run and you saw the same words many times.  Maybe that's one of the reasons they switched to a puzzle format on "Password Plus".
[snapback]93131[/snapback]
[/quote]

Even P+ repeated passwords on occasion. I've seen the word French on four or five episodes out of the 92 they've shown so far this year. I suspect some of the J, Q, X, and Z words get more than one appearance a year in the bonus round.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Lingo 4th season
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 02:07:35 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 3 2005, 06:44 AM\']out of the 92 they've shown so far this year.
[/quote]
Today I am proud to announce the debut of a new one word response to complement "Wow." Share it with your friends, and be sure to save this post to celebrate this historic occassion. Here we go:

Jesus.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe