Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Larsoning" the Fame Game ?  (Read 3042 times)

J.R.

"Larsoning" the Fame Game ?
« on: August 12, 2003, 02:01:55 AM »
I have to ask. When they changed the Fame Game board on $ale of the Century from simple picking to PYL-esque bouncing lights, did the board have a set pattern or was it random ? And did someone try to study the pattern and try to \"Larson\" the FG by landing on all the Money Cards ?

(I look foreward to the Sutans of Snark's commentary !)
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Gus

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 07:30:01 AM »
I think I'm a bit slow on the gun here, but is \"Larson\" as a verb now an acceptable usage of the word?

GS Warehouse

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 01:48:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' date=\'Aug 12 2003, 06:30 AM\'] I think I'm a bit slow on the gun here, but is "Larson" as a verb now an acceptable usage of the word? [/quote]
 They say if enough people use words to that context, it eventually becomes standard usage.  I, for one, hope that \"verb\" stays within this group.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 07:13:56 PM »
Going back to topic, I believe that there was a randomized pattern for each Fame Game round, since the amount of possible landing areas decreased by one each time.

Besides, I am sure that NBC and Reg Grundy Productions, at the time, were more than aware of the fiasco that took place at Television City.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 07:28:26 PM »
Granted, finding the three money cards on the FG board didn't even assure a maingame win, but yeah, it was no less random than the PYL board in 1985.

AZAndrewG

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 07:23:55 PM »
Not to mention, the lights, IIRC, moved A LOT faster than their counterparts at PYL, so even if someone did \"Larson\" the board, they would need super-fast hand-eye coordination to pull it off.

Andrew
For fast, affordable web design, log on to

AMG Web Design

beatlefreak84

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 07:31:49 PM »
I'm sure the faster lights were their defense against somebody \"pulling a Larson.\"  I always wondered why PYL never sped up their lights (in fact, they were SLOWED DOWN when they changed the patterns shortly afterward for about two months).

However, I also agree with Zach:  Even if you got all of the \"Money Cards,\" that would only get you $50, which may seem like a lot, but that can still be made up in the speed round (though unlikely).

My question is, though:  Why DID $OTC change to a random light pattern?  It was fine as is with just picking the faces/numbers, I thought!  Does anybody know why this change happened?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™