Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The future of our genre  (Read 8407 times)

Sonic Whammy

The future of our genre
« on: July 18, 2005, 02:36:14 PM »
Hey guys. Being that this is the one stop shop, I want to get some serious opinions from a lot of you and see if this is just me, or if the feeling is widely mutual.

Last week, I received a rejection notice from Millionaire. It's the most recent in a long line of rejections from Millionaire and Amazing Race in the last 6 years. And it's getting me a little frustrated. And before you start breaking out the violins on me, hear me out.

I have a literal double Whammy working against me. First, I'm from Jersey, which means Millionaire and the new Ken Jennings show (which I failed the test for) are the only games in town. Anything else, I'd have to pay out of pocket to go to LA with no guarantees (plus a working knowledge that I'm not a strong Jeopardy player). Second, I'm a teacher, non-tenured at that. So, I'm putting myself at risk with every attempt. And just imagine if I get on, especially with the Race...

It gets me so frustrated because anyone that is just getting to know me will always ask why I never go on a game show (read: Jeopardy), and anyone that really knows me keeps telling me I've got my whole life to get on these shows. The thing they all forget is that most TV executives today can't or won't keep shows on forever. I got news for you: Chances are that if I'm lucky enough to have tenure in a couple years, the same shows that are on now WON'T be on in 5 years. And given the way that game shows are deteriorating on TV, I don't like the prospect of the future.

So this brings me to my questions for all of you:

> Am I right in busting my butt for these shows now?
> What exactly do YOU see for the genre in 5, 10 or 15 years?
> Will any current shows still be on in the times I mentioned?
> Will the shows that come on in the future be worth watching?

I don't know, you tell me if I'm going nuts, cuz it's all eating me alive.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The future of our genre
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 02:46:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 11:36 AM\']I don't know, you tell me if I'm going nuts, cuz it's all eating me alive.
[/quote]
You're going nuts. There are WAY more important things to be worrying about.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

The future of our genre
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 02:57:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 01:36 PM\']I don't know, you tell me if I'm going nuts, cuz it's all eating me alive.
[snapback]91697[/snapback]
[/quote]
Some of us are just not meant to be game or reality show contestants.  Take me, for instance.  I'm not excitable enough for WoF or TPiR, not smart enough for J! or WWtbaM, not interesting enough for Big Brother, not adventurous enough for Survivor, not business-savvy enough for The Apprentice, too old for Idol, not desparate enough for The Bachelor, and too poor to join the poker circuit.  What does that leave?  Lemon's right, you have to know your limitations.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 03:01:39 PM by GS Warehouse »

Sonic Whammy

The future of our genre
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 02:59:52 PM »
I know there is. And believe me, I'm trying my darndest to make sure they don't become worries.

It's just that it gets tougher and tougher for me to be a fan and stay a fan. I just feel that the longer I'm a fan, the more I have to actually be there for it to be truly justified. I mean, a bunch of you have had that chance to be there in some fashion, and truly have that feel for it all, and I envy you all immensely.

*sigh* Who knows...
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

WhammyPower

The future of our genre
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 03:27:24 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 01:57 PM\']What does that leave?
[snapback]91701[/snapback]
[/quote]
Deal or no Deal.

The Ol' Guy

The future of our genre
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 03:33:50 PM »
Maybe a little more information than you'd like to know, but it's interesting how life puts things in perspective. Since I wanted to be a host since right around age five, it was a total focus through the years. It also came to a point where fear took over, because I literally felt that if I ever got my own game show gig, it bombed in 13 weeks and I never got another offer, I might as well put a gun to my head, because life would be over. Even though I've been pretty steadily employed and managed to raise 5 kids, I still felt somewhat of a failure, especially around family. The family would often tell me that just by being able to do a lot of what I had done already, I was ahead of a lot of people. As I got older, I found a lot of people with me in the dashed dreams line, yet we all could still be of use to others in some other way. Those kids you teach are a gift. Show off your smarts and talents there..maybe even host a few classroom games...and if you get the chance to go on the tube, the time'll be right. Who knows? Someone might even want a short, stocky balding game show host some day. Joe Garagiola made it....
I hardly watch game shows any more because all I get are the same old shows, but I still love 'em. And life's still good.

clemon79

The future of our genre
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 03:49:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 11:59 AM\']It's just that it gets tougher and tougher for me to be a fan and stay a fan. I just feel that the longer I'm a fan, the more I have to actually be there for it to be truly justified.
[/quote]
Well, that's you, and your decision to make. Nobody is gonna say you're any less of a fan than anyone else, but people do evolve and change over time. I had a phase where I was into rap music. I used to have a similar fixation on Stephen King that other people do with the Harry Potter books. People change.

Right there with Ol' Guy in the "dashed dreams" department. I wanted to be a game-show host since I was teeny. Didn't happen. Then I wanted to be a sports broadcaster, but I did it wrong, and it's probably not gonna happen. And I've gotten too old to start over again and do it right. So be it.

Me, I've never been to so much as a taping as an audience member, much less been a contestant, and I'm not the "pretty boy" type they want on their shows these days. So it's probably not gonna happen. But I am what I am, and I've been a game show geek LITERALLY as far back as I can remember, and I can remember a day before we moved to the house I eventually grew up in when I sat on the steps of our apartment building and chewed my VERY OWN pack of Fruit Stripe gum. (We moved when I was 3. I'm 34 now.) Not being on a show isn't gonna change that.

There are lots of other ways to feed the monster. :) I have some friends that I play board games with a couple times a week, and after some time I got up the balls to write up some material and use Todd Robinson's Family Feud software to attempt to host it at our game night. I figured they would merely politely tolerate my little dementia, but it went over HUGE. We're doing it again this Friday, and they keep asking what I'm gonna host next. Is it replacing Barker on the Price gig? No. But I put on a show that made people happy and provided some great memories for people I care about, and that made the work totally worthwhile.

You know those little block tables you played with as a kid? The one where you take the square block and stick it in the square hole, and the round block in it's hole, and the star-shaped one in the star-shaped hole? Life isn't like that, I've found. You don't always need the EXACT shape to fill a hole.

Now, be good to yourselves and each other. We'll see you next time.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 04:02:02 PM by clemon79 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
The future of our genre
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 04:00:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 01:59 PM\']It's just that it gets tougher and tougher for me to be a fan and stay a fan. I just feel that the longer I'm a fan, the more I have to actually be there for it to be truly justified. I mean, a bunch of you have had that chance to be there in some fashion, and truly have that feel for it all, and I envy you all immensely.
[snapback]91702[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm in Jason's camp.  I know what my limitations are and am just content with being a fan from behind the scenes without having to justify it by trying to become a contestant (sure, there are some shows where I was tempted to try it, but realizing that I wasn't likely to do very well made the decision for me not to go for it relatively easy).

For me, I was satisfied enough taking a trip to Los Angeles, pulling the TPiR all-nighter and getting into Studio 33 for the 9/23/04 episode.  The mere fact that I didn't really *want* to be picked is besides the point; I had enough appreciation for the genre to be fascinated enough by seeing how they do the voodoo that they do.  And I had a blast.

So in my case, not actually being a contestant isn't the end of the world.  I don't feel any less "fulfilled."  And a little shrewd planning and perhaps you could give TPiR a shot during summer vacation.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

beatlefreak84

The future of our genre
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 04:14:13 PM »
Ever since I was five, I've always dreamed of being able to host my own game show.  My family would always be encouraging me in that dream, and so would some of my friends.  As I got older, though, I realized that the last thing I wanted to do was be like thousands of other people and go to California, not get any work in hosting, and just be stuck working behind a bar because I didn't learn any other trade.  I still would love to host a game show, of course (!), but I'm perfectly content with what I'm doing now (I start my first teaching job in August!).

And, hey, I currently live in Chicago, where game shows now only film on location, and, next month, I'm moving to Lincoln, Nebraska, where I'm not even close to a studio whatsoever!!  My chances of getting on a game show are pretty slim, but it doesn't spoil my liking of the genre.

Think about it:  When you try out for a game show, you are doing something that so many people don't have the guts to do, and, in some cases, will never even get the CHANCE to do.  You get to play the game with others who are just as enthused as you are, and you get to really enjoy yourself.  I didn't really understand this until I tried out for WOF; I was in a room with about 55 others who were just happy to be there and having fun.  By the end, I was having such a good time with the people there that getting on the show wasn't really that important anymore.  I didn't walk away upset at myself because I may have done something wrong or that someone else did better than me; it was just a great experience, and one that I'll never forget.

My liking of WOF has actually been enhanced by the whole experience; I now have a much deeper appreciation for what the contestants on that show go through and the overall game as a whole.  I didn't stop watching "Pyramid" when they pulled out of the Navy Pier tryouts a couple years ago.  I didn't stop watching "WinTuition" because I didn't win the "Get Schooled" competition in 2003 (I was out on the first question!!).  I just love the genre, and all of these little experiences have been icing on the cake for a game show fanatic like myself.

As far as where the genre is heading, it'll never go away.  Shows like J! and WOF and TPIR will be around at least as long as their respective hosts stay around, and possibly even longer than that.  We may not have network TV populated with game shows in either daytime or primetime like in the '80s ever again, but, as I've found over the last few years, game shows are always around; they're sometimes just in the places you'd least suspect (History IQ, for example!).  Most everyone I know has affection for at least one game show just like everyone has their favorite sitcom.

Anyway, that was a long-winded response, but I hope it gets the point across:  Don't be soured by the fact that a few rejections from game show auditions came your way, and have faith that game shows will never go away.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BrandonFG

The future of our genre
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 04:39:19 PM »
TV moves in cycles. Game shows died out in the early-80s, then boomed back c. 1983, and stayed strong for about 7 or 8 years. Fizzled in the early-90s, then appeared to be on life support by 1995, then in 96, we had a nice little surge that lasted up till about this year or last year. Hell, 2002 or 03 showed some of the best numbers since the early-80s or so. Now, the genre is in another down period (still not as bad as 1995, don't think it'll ever get that low), but give it time. I guarantee game shows will be back by the end of the decade. No need to feel depressed or as if you won't make it.

I'm in a similar situation, I'm in Virginia, so if I want to try out for Millionaire, I have to save up money to get to NYC. I wanted to do the movie week, but there's no tryouts anywhere near Norfolk. Oh well, what the hell. Add to that I'm ineligible for Wheel and J! b/c I work for a station that airs both. Am I depressed? No...there's always tomorrow.

Cheer up, get you an ice cream pony, and take your ass to Bed Bath and Beyond. Tell them Brandon sent you. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

The future of our genre
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 04:50:46 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 02:57 PM\'][quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 01:36 PM\']I don't know, you tell me if I'm going nuts, cuz it's all eating me alive.
[snapback]91697[/snapback]
[/quote]
Some of us are just not meant to be game or reality show contestants.  Take me, for instance.  I'm not excitable enough for WoF or TPiR, not smart enough for J! or WWtbaM, not interesting enough for Big Brother, not adventurous enough for Survivor, not business-savvy enough for The Apprentice, too old for Idol, not desparate enough for The Bachelor, and too poor to join the poker circuit.  What does that leave?  Lemon's right, you have to know your limitations.
[snapback]91701[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, are you gay enough for I've Got a Secret? ;-)

(Disclaimer:  I am a die-hard liberal.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 04:51:40 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

dzinkin

The future of our genre
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 05:51:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 04:50 PM\']Well, are you gay enough for I've Got a Secret? ;-)

(Disclaimer:  I am a die-hard liberal.)
[snapback]91710[/snapback]
[/quote]
No, we're not homosexual, but we are willing to learn!

(Disclaimer: I am a diehard fan of Stripes. ;-)

clemon79

The future of our genre
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 06:06:11 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 02:51 PM\']No, we're not homosexual, but we are willing to learn!
[/quote]
Will they send you someplace special?

/also a fan

Steve McClellan

The future of our genre
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 06:12:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jul 18 2005, 11:36 AM\']I don't know, you tell me if I'm going nuts, cuz it's all eating me alive.[/quote]
Nuts, sure. But aren't we all? After all, we *are* on the internet disussing game shows. :)

I'm going to take this in a somewhat different direction. When I was 19, I took a thousand bucks I didn't have, and flew out to L.A., just to try out for whatever was auditioning at the time. Made it to a TPIR taping (where I wasn't really interested in being a contestant, anyway) and a Hollywood Squares audition. Passed the written test; played the mock game (and, for those of you who've mentioned going to an audition and just having a great time, this mock game took the cake for that. By a longshot.) One of the highlights of my game show "career".

But I didn't get on. And I could have said, "That's it; I'm a failure, I'm not good enough for game shows." But I didn't. In fact, the trip had an interesting side effect. It stirred my passions in a number of ways. For one, it was the beginning of March, and I had no desire to leave SoCal and go back to Pennsylvania. I wanted to leave so little, that I went back, worked my tail off over the summer, saved up some money, and moved to the California coast later that year. I've been here for almost two years now, and I'm loving it. Were it not for that Hollywood Squares trip, this never would have happened.

A second effect of the trip was that it made me redouble my efforts to actually get on a game show. That same summer, I lost 100 pounds. The day before I moved out of Pennsylvania, I made the six-hour drive to NYC to audition for Millionaire. During the interview, I told them all about what I'd done. Then, when I arrived on the left coast, I got a call from my parents telling me that there was a postcard there from Millionaire. They liked me, they really liked me! A couple of months later, I was flying back to New York and winning $16,000. Now, I'm just waiting for the call from my second game show, and already training for my third.

The bottom line is, if you want to get on a game show badly enough, you can do it. You've just got to give the contestant coordinators what they want. Depending on the show, this may be a story of life experience, a particular brand of excitement, some good one-liners, or a specific style of play. Depending on where you're starting, it may take creating a new life experience, emphasizing a particular portion of your personality, or even a personality overhaul. And it may require learning a lot of stuff.

But it can be done. The question is only whether you're willing to make the sacrifices necessary. Bringing your current situation to the table, you may find that that's not the right thing to do. If that's the case, it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to change your situation to make it the right thing to do. Either way, it's entirely in your control. The process may not be fast, but it's doable. Shows like Wheel and J! aren't going anywhere. Other shows will come and go. If your priority is getting on and having fun, rather than making money, you'll have more options. But even if you're in it for the Benjamins, there are still opportunities out there, and while they may change, it doesn't look like the genre is going anywhere anytime soon.

But the first step is to eliminate any semblance of whininess and/or obsession. That's not what people at home want to see; any trace of it to a CC, and you're done. Just realize that it's all in your control. Give it enough effort and enough chances, and I'm confident you won't be disappointed. I won't lie to you; it can be a lot of work. But if you choose to go for it, you'll end up with memories that'll last a lifetime, maybe some extra spending cash, and who knows what else along the way. It's in no one's hands but your own. Take it or leave it. To quote Dick Clark: the challenge is yours.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The future of our genre
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 06:15:41 PM »
Now, the genre is in another down period (still not as bad as 1995, don't think it'll ever get that low), but give it time. I guarantee game shows will be back by the end of the decade.
I doubt it. A point I keep making here again and again is that over the past decade and a half, the networks have gotten out of daytime programming in a big way, giving back to affiliates large chunks of the daytime schedule formerly occupied by game shows. Game shows are considered undesirable by the networks because of their generally older demographics. The infrastructure that used to support daytime game show development at the networks is gone and there is no reason to reconstruct it. The entrepreneurs who used to package shows and sell them to the networks are (with the possible exception of Monty Hall) retired and their companies folded or sold, while they count their millions from their Beverly Hills mansions. The point is, in the U.S., the game show business is a mere shadow of its 1980s-era self.

Nowadays producers would just as soon hire a hack comedian or actor to emcee a game show, making discoveries such as Tom Bergeron much more the exception than the rule. Consider also that for every Tom Bergeron or Richard Karn who emcees a legacy show, there is a Peter Marshall or Richard Dawson who is being displaced. Look at it this way: I'm thinking of a very well-known, seasoned veteran emcee. He is one of the best in the field, but he hasn't emceed a game show in decades. On the day he taped the final episode of the last game show he did, he had no idea there would be no further work coming his way. Imagine waking up one day two, three or five years down the line while someone else is doing the show you used to do and thinking to yourself, "Gee, I guess I'm retired".

No one should aspire specifically to be a game show emcee. If you have the itch to be an on-air performer, consider some genre other than game shows such as news or radio. If a game show comes your way, whether it be a national gig or a local cable deal, consider yourself lucky.

Now here's Randy West to tell you how hard that end of the business is ...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 06:28:23 PM by chris319 »