Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Treasure Hunt Question?  (Read 7700 times)

DJDustman

Treasure Hunt Question?
« on: August 10, 2003, 02:57:38 PM »
Now I know Geoff Edwards had to memorize all 30 and all 66 surprise packages, but What was wrong with the Security System that They couldn't use Cue Cards?

Adam Nedeff

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 05:29:29 PM »
Now I know Geoff Edwards had to memorize all 30 and all 66 surprise packages, but What was wrong with the Security System that They couldn't use Cue Cards?

Here's my guess...

If the cue cards got mixed up somehow, Geoff would spend 5 minutes setting up a bunch of clues sounding like a new car that actually refer to a rusty trumpet inside the box, and when he opens the box, it's a slab of swiss cheese, thereby screwing up the entire segment and confusing the audience.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 05:34:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Aug 10 2003, 02:29 PM\'] Here's my guess...

If the cue cards got mixed up somehow, Geoff would spend 5 minutes setting up a bunch of clues sounding like a new car that actually refer to a rusty trumpet inside the box, and when he opens the box, it's a slab of swiss cheese, thereby screwing up the entire segment and confusing the audience. [/quote]
 And if Geoff gets mixed up, he does 5 minutes setting up rusty swiss cheese or what have you.

I think I'll take the props.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Footix

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 06:27:58 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Aug 10 2003, 01:57 PM\']Now I know Geoff Edwards had to memorize all 30 and all 66 surprise packages, but What was wrong with the Security System that They couldn't use Cue Cards?[/quote]
The way I see it, if someone happens to see one or more of the cue cards, they know what's in one or more of the boxes. Not only does that give an unfair advantage, but that's the sort of situation that S&P folks just hate.

DrBear

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 07:13:09 PM »
And nobody's mentioned the obvious - if Geoff can see the cards, so can the contestant while the prize-giving skit is going on - and if I were the contestant, that would be the first place I'd look.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

WorldClassRob

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 07:58:30 PM »
I'm sure Geoff has gotten some heat from how Treasure Hunt was played (example: the 60 Minutes story from the 1970s regarding Treasure Hunt), but let's face it... to memorize sixty-six different skits for EACH episode and to go through it flawlessly is remarkable.  Keep in mind too that Geoff did have some acting experience before going into game shows.

RD

zachhoran

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 08:07:40 PM »
Geoff did manage to memorize a lot of skits for TH, but was it 66 each show? Certainly not in the 70s version(30 boxes only), but would the same skit(with the same prizes) be inside more than one box on each show.

PeterMarshallFan

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 08:44:41 PM »
He did 66 skits for TH in '81.

clemon79

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 09:29:06 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 10 2003, 05:07 PM\'] but would the same skit(with the same prizes) be inside more than one box on each show. [/quote]
 Suppose it's possible, but if that's so, then it's also possible (although unlikely) that both contestants on a given show could then select the same prize package / skit. T'would look awfully lame, and worse for the show if they told the player \"Um...you gotta pick again.\"

SplitSecond

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2003, 10:08:21 PM »
I don't know where the idea came to be that Geoff had to memorize all the skits at the beginning of the day.  After all, Chuck Barris never embellishes anything.

http://tinyurl.com/jlwn

The upshot, for the lazy ones, is that Geoff was briefed on all the skits at the start of the production day, and was briefed on each that was to be performed immediately after its corresponding box was chosen.  Not to take away from Geoff's performance, but that's certainly not the feat of memorization that we (and Barris) have made it out to be.

As for not using cue cards, DrBear hit it on the head - if Geoff can see the cue cards, the contestant can see the cue cards.  It's not so much a \"security\" measure as it is just simply preventing a premature reaction from a contestant.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 12:21:51 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Aug 10 2003, 09:08 PM\']I don't know where the idea came to be that Geoff had to memorize all the skits at the beginning of the day.  After all, Chuck Barris never embellishes anything.

http://tinyurl.com/jlwn

The upshot, for the lazy ones, is that Geoff was briefed on all the skits at the start of the production day, and was briefed on each that was to be performed immediately after its corresponding box was chosen.  Not to take away from Geoff's performance, but that's certainly not the feat of memorization that we (and Barris) have made it out to be.

As for not using cue cards, DrBear hit it on the head - if Geoff can see the cue cards, the contestant can see the cue cards.  It's not so much a \"security\" measure as it is just simply preventing a premature reaction from a contestant.[/quote]
Not that I'm regretting this by any means (totally), but seeing those Usenet posts does kinda make me wish that I was able to hook up with the old old place all those years ago (in the same manner that I wish that I had seen the first 3½ years of GSN's existence, before the originals took up much of the sked)--I guess the old saying \"ignorance is no excuse\" (if that even *is* an old saying) probably applies.  That was a terrific read.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

jrjgames

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 01:14:33 AM »
You are right, cue cards would tip off the contestant as to what is coming.

From how it was explained to me, Geoff had an idea of what was in which box and the skit...after the contestant picked a box, Geoff would go backstage and get briefed again to the sketch.

Also, I'm told that NO ONE execpt Emile knew the winning box.  If the winning box was chosen he pushed a button which signaled someone in the control room to get ready for a possible big win!

John

zachhoran

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2003, 09:40:55 AM »
SPeaking of Geoff, has he been told of this board? He'd probably be willing to post on a troll-free game show board as he did in the past, if he had interest and/or time to do so.

clemon79

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2003, 01:07:55 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Aug 10 2003, 10:14 PM\'] Also, I'm told that NO ONE execpt Emile knew the winning box.  If the winning box was chosen he pushed a button which signaled someone in the control room to get ready for a possible big win!
 [/quote]
 So, what, did someone else put the number of the winning box in Geoff's jacket that he would pull out at the end of the show?

AZAndrewG

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2003, 03:50:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 11 2003, 12:07 PM\']So, what, did someone else put the number of the winning box in Geoff's jacket that he would pull out at the end of the show?[/quote]
No, Emile handed the card to Geoff right after saying, \"Yes, I did.\"
For fast, affordable web design, log on to

AMG Web Design