Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud '88  (Read 8398 times)

calliaume

Family Feud '88
« on: May 10, 2005, 04:40:07 PM »
Yeah, we know Ray Combs got the nod over Joe Namath.  But does anyone know if Bill Rafferty was ever given any consideration?

Granted, he had just come off two flops in Blockbusters and syndie Card Sharks, but I don't think those should have been held against him.

Granted, his New Yawk accent would have grated on some at times...

JMFabiano

Family Feud '88
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 05:30:48 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'May 10 2005, 03:40 PM\']Yeah, we know Ray Combs got the nod over Joe Namath.  But does anyone know if Bill Rafferty was ever given any consideration?

Granted, he had just come off two flops in Blockbusters and syndie Card Sharks, but I don't think those should have been held against him.

[snapback]84948[/snapback]
[/quote]

Funny you said that...as I recently found myself taking back the old "Ahmed" Rafferty nickname of years ago, since seeing Bill's shows again now, his accent wasn't THAT bad.  As for grating voices for FF, insert your own Louie Anderson knock here.  

But yeah, Bill was kind of a go-to man over at MGP for some of the late '80s, wasn't he?  Could that be part of what was behind the question you asked?  

Anyway, if that did come to pass, I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't disappointed.  Bill's CS wasn't bad at all, and BB87 was OK albeit different from the original, and definitely not the "one black mark on GSN's morning schedule" as the Professor called it (then again, that's probably to be expected, given his Cullenmania...not that there's anything wrong with that ;-))
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 05:35:27 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

The Pyramids

Family Feud '88
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 05:53:04 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'May 10 2005, 03:40 PM\']Yeah, we know Ray Combs got the nod over Joe Namath.  But does anyone know if Bill Rafferty was ever given any consideration?

[/quote]

Its been said and resaid that Richard Dawson didn't recieve a call, period.

I'd like to know as well who, besides Joe Namath, was looked for what must have been a very coveted job. Peter Tomarken had his own show comming at the time, and Chuck Woolery was busy with two shows. Peter Marshall or Tom Kennedy may never have been mentioned due to age or asking price or both.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 06:39:59 PM by PaulD »

calliaume

Family Feud '88
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 05:55:01 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'May 10 2005, 04:30 PM\']BB87 was OK albeit different from the original, and definitely not the "one black mark on GSN's morning schedule" as the Professor called it (then again, that's probably to be expected, given his Cullenmania...not that there's anything wrong with that ;-))
[snapback]84955[/snapback]
[/quote]
The conceit, of course, is the shows feature "The Men of GSN," with several Desperate Housewives-like actresses in promo spots saying they've been seeing Chuck, Alex, Gene, Richard, etc.  (Lin Bolen's no doubt watching and nodding to herself, "Cool promos.")  Maybe 60-something Cullen didn't fit in with that group.  Also, in fairness, Cullen's Blockbusters has been running on weekends for quite a long time now, so it's not like we don't have access.

Steve Gavazzi

Family Feud '88
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 06:37:52 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 10 2005, 05:53 PM\'][quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'May 10 2005, 03:40 PM\']Yeah, we know Ray Combs got the nod over Joe Namath.  But does anyone know if Bill Rafferty was ever given any consideration?

[/quote]

[snapback]84957[/snapback]
[/quote]

Where the HELL do you see anything in Curt's post about Richard Dawson?

FeudDude

Family Feud '88
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 07:24:00 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'May 10 2005, 04:40 PM\']Yeah, we know Ray Combs got the nod over Joe Namath.  But does anyone know if Bill Rafferty was ever given any consideration?

[/quote]

I also have wondered if Rafferty was considered for Feud '88.  I actually find his hosting style to be quite similar to Ray's, and I think he would've been a great fit for the Feud.

Don Howard

Family Feud '88
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 08:20:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'May 10 2005, 05:37 PM\'][quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 10 2005, 05:53 PM\']Its been said and resaid that Richard Dawson didn't recieve a call, period.
[/quote]
[snapback]84962[/snapback]
[/quote]
No place. I shall now build on his remark before sending him off to his bubble bath:
I've told you people. Jan Murray flat out didn't want the job!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 08:21:46 PM by Don Howard »

Kevin Prather

Family Feud '88
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 08:35:04 PM »
So what's Pat O'Brien's excuse?

*runs far away*

dzinkin

Family Feud '88
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 08:45:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'May 10 2005, 06:37 PM\'][quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 10 2005, 05:53 PM\'][quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'May 10 2005, 03:40 PM\']Yeah, we know Ray Combs got the nod over Joe Namath.  But does anyone know if Bill Rafferty was ever given any consideration?

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
I'll bet that a proctologist with a flashlight could tell us where he saw it.

Don Howard

Family Feud '88
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 09:02:17 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 10 2005, 07:45 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'May 10 2005, 06:37 PM\'][quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 10 2005, 05:53 PM\'][quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'May 10 2005, 03:40 PM\']Yeah, we know Ray Combs got the nod over Joe Namath.  But does anyone know if Bill Rafferty was ever given any consideration?
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
I'll bet that a proctologist with a flashlight could tell us where he saw it.
[snapback]84973[/snapback]
[/quote]
Funny. Great post. I agree. Interesting. Good one.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 09:02:51 PM by Don Howard »

JMFabiano

Family Feud '88
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 09:39:52 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'May 10 2005, 04:55 PM\'][quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'May 10 2005, 04:30 PM\']BB87 was OK albeit different from the original, and definitely not the "one black mark on GSN's morning schedule" as the Professor called it (then again, that's probably to be expected, given his Cullenmania...not that there's anything wrong with that ;-))
[/quote]
The conceit, of course, is the shows feature "The Men of GSN," with several Desperate Housewives-like actresses in promo spots saying they've been seeing Chuck, Alex, Gene, Richard, etc.  (Lin Bolen's no doubt watching and nodding to herself, "Cool promos.")  Maybe 60-something Cullen didn't fit in with that group.  Also, in fairness, Cullen's Blockbusters has been running on weekends for quite a long time now, so it's not like we don't have access.
[snapback]84958[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, for the time being Rafftery BB suits me just fine.  We haven't seen it in a while, first of all, and it isn't a bad show, albeit short-lived.  Yes the Cullen version is much better in most if not all aspects, but that doesn't mean Rafferty's sucked or anything.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Don Howard

Family Feud '88
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 09:56:14 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'May 10 2005, 08:39 PM\'][quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'May 10 2005, 04:55 PM\'][quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'May 10 2005, 04:30 PM\']BB87 was OK albeit different from the original, and definitely not the "one black mark on GSN's morning schedule" as the Professor called it (then again, that's probably to be expected, given his Cullenmania...not that there's anything wrong with that ;-))
[/quote]
[snapback]84958[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, for the time being Rafftery BB suits me just fine.  We haven't seen it in a while, first of all, and it isn't a bad show, albeit short-lived.  Yes the Cullen version is much better in most if not all aspects, but that doesn't mean Rafferty's sucked or anything.
[snapback]84976[/snapback]
[/quote]
How many times do I have to tell you? Richard Dawson wasn't even considered for the Blockbusters revival.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Family Feud '88
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 10:26:34 PM »
I see Lemon's logged on as Steve Gavazzi. I'll get right on it.

dzinkin

Family Feud '88
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 10:30:59 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 10 2005, 10:26 PM\']
I see Lemon's logged on as Steve Gavazzi. I'll get right on it.
[snapback]84983[/snapback]
[/quote]
I thought everyone was Steve Gavazzi in disguise.

mystery7

Family Feud '88
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 12:34:17 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 10 2005, 09:30 PM\']I thought everyone was Steve Gavazzi in disguise.
[snapback]84984[/snapback]
[/quote]
So they're not all Chris Lemon in disguise?