Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dagmar..  (Read 2352 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Dagmar..
« on: May 02, 2005, 03:42:12 PM »
I'm currently watching her sub for Jan Murray on Dollar a Second, and I'd only heard of her once before when she was a panelist on Who Said That?

So my question is simple: for what is Dagmar best known? I tried Googling, but no avail.

--Jamie

Adam Nedeff

Dagmar..
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 03:59:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'May 2 2005, 02:42 PM\']I'm currently watching her sub for Jan Murray on Dollar a Second, and I'd only heard of her once before when she was a panelist on Who Said That?

So my question is simple: for what is Dagmar best known? I tried Googling, but no avail.

--Jamie
[snapback]84114[/snapback]
[/quote]

Up until Soupy Sales reached national prominence, she was the most famous person to come out of Huntington WV. She was an integral part of the first late night TV show EVER, "Broadway Open House" (predating "The Tonight Show" by about two years.
The Delightful Dagmar

This site should cover everything you need to know.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Dagmar..
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 04:06:10 PM »
Thanks!

--Jamie

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Dagmar..
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 04:20:48 PM »
Note the mention of Jerry Shaw. If you don't know who Jerry Shaw is, pack your bags and head for the Card Sharks 2001 room.

DrBear

Dagmar..
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 05:25:32 PM »
As they noted, she was very much of her time. But she was as well known then as, say, Paris Hilton is today (although in a much cleaner way - it WAS the 50s after all). Let's put it this way - the pointy-rubber-cone bumpers on the front of some 50s cars were known as Dagmars, and that tells you a lot about how she became popular. Happily, from all I've read, she seems to be a nice, down-home person.

And only in this group would you get a pass on not knowing Dagmar, but not on not knowing Jerry Shaw.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

calliaume

Dagmar..
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 09:16:05 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'May 2 2005, 04:25 PM\']And only in this group would you get a pass on not knowing Dagmar, but not on not knowing Jerry Shaw.
[snapback]84135[/snapback]
[/quote]
I was surprised nobody mentioned Milton DeLugg.

Gromit

Dagmar..
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 01:03:51 AM »
Well, that explains the lyrics to High School Confidential, by Rough Trade.

Always wondered who she was.