Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks  (Read 9649 times)

Pyramid80

Card Sharks
« on: April 04, 2005, 04:56:06 PM »
How far into the syndicated run of Rafferty's Card Sharks, was the format changed to include the car game?

zachhoran

Card Sharks
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 06:51:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 03:56 PM\']How far into the syndicated run of Rafferty's Card Sharks, was the format changed to include the car game?
[snapback]80481[/snapback]
[/quote]

THe car game was added about three weeks into the run, with the prize cards added a few weeks later IIRC. Originally, the car offered was a Cadillac. The contestants who won a Cadillac retired as champ upon winning it. They later changed the car to less expensive but still moderately-priced cars like Fieros and Camaros(more expensive than those offered on the daytime show usually). When they changed the cars, the prize cars were added. They no longer awarded $100 for winning a game in the maingame matches after the prize cards were added. The audience poll questions and Educated Guess questions were added around the time of the prize cards addition.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Card Sharks
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 07:13:42 PM »
I'd only seen a few episodes of Rafferty Card Sharks when it was in first run, but I was pleased to see that he's a VERY capable host of the show, and this was the very first episode. He was MILES better than Eubanks, IMO.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chief-O

Card Sharks
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 07:45:26 PM »
I have to agree with Chris----I thought he was excellent, for this being his first episode. At times, he even reminded me somewhat of Jim Perry! But, he brought his own flavor to the show.
.....and it goes like this!!!

aaron sica

Card Sharks
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 07:56:15 PM »
As a young child, it was always fascinating to me when the host of the nighttime show was different than the daytime one. Perhaps that explains my "obsession" with TPiR85. It's just the idea of someone different than you're used to, taking the reins...

I enjoyed Rafferty's CS, Cullen's $25K Pyramid, Kennedy's TPiR for this reason.

itiparanoid13

Card Sharks
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 08:00:39 PM »
Maybe people who have seen a lot of Rafferty CS can answer this.  I like Rafferty a lot more than Eubanks at the head of the show already, but the only thing that got to me was the really slow pacing of the show.  Is he always like this, or does he eventually speed up?  It was nice to see the show without the car game also.  I don't know why, but I never liked the car game.

Jimmy Owen

Card Sharks
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 08:02:26 PM »
This is my first time seeing the Rafferty CS, and I enjoyed it as well.  I'm quite happy with GSN right now.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Pyramids

Card Sharks
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 08:55:52 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 06:56 PM\']As a young child, it was always fascinating to me when the host of the nighttime show was different than the daytime one. Perhaps that explains my "obsession" with TPiR85. It's just the idea of someone different than you're used to, taking the reins...

I enjoyed Rafferty's CS, Cullen's $25K Pyramid, Kennedy's TPiR for this reason.
[snapback]80520[/snapback]
[/quote]

Absolutely. I have dim memories of Dennis James & the original gold 'TPIR' set.

There's a reason why there so much tattered looking Davidson 'Pyramid,'Kennedy 'TPIR' and up to now Rafferty G/T shows traded out there.

Its sort of like seeing your favorites made in 'Star Trek's' mirror universe.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 08:56:35 PM by PaulD »

splinkynip

Card Sharks
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 09:07:16 PM »
As I posted a few weeks ago, I remember this show very well and have seen pretty much the entire series.  The prizes and cars were added in the fourth week (I have no idea why remember this!)... and yes, originally they had high-end Cadillacs (Sedan deVille. Eldorado) and Chevy's (Corvette and Camaro)... I think they stayed until won... and the champion did retire then... then they changed the car weekly and got rid of the $5000 cash prize card in the main game after a few weeks...  They offered Pontiacs (Fiero, Firebird, Sunbird, Sundbird convertible), the Jeep Wrangler several times, and the Renaults (GTA, ALliance).... (please don't flame me for suddenly getting Zachitis)...

And yes, the show did speed up... after a week or two he won;t explain the rules and the audience and educated guess questions add more variety (started the same time as the car and prizes)....

One thing I believe I remember was at the end of the summer reruns for the last 4 to 6 weeks or so they aired shows that never aired before they switched to the cars and prizes... don't know how many total shows were made with this basic format...

Enjoy!

Pyramid80

Card Sharks
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 09:35:25 PM »
After seeing this version of Card Sharks, I thought it was very interesting.  I thought overall Rafferty did a good job hosting.  I was sort of expecting the car game as well as the prize cards from the very beginning.  I thought it would be what set this show apart from the daytime version...I guess it will in a few weeks, but thought it started when Rafferty did.  It was enjoyable and great to see this finally for the first time.  I hope that it stays on the schedule long enough for the entire series to be shown.

*Now I can't wait until tomorrow to finally see Blockbusters with Rafferty....

Don Howard

Card Sharks
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 09:57:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 06:13 PM\']I'd only seen a few episodes of Rafferty Card Sharks when it was in first run, but I was pleased to see that he's a VERY capable host of the show, and this was the very first episode. He was MILES better than Eubanks, IMO.
[snapback]80503[/snapback]
[/quote]
And the big reasons why for this are as follows:
With Bill Rafferty, it was more about the contestants and the show than it was about extended reactions from himself. Quite often if he catches himself going on, he'll say something on the order of, "No sense wasting any time listening to me jabber on. Let's get to the game!". Too bad he never latched onto a hit.

tvmitch

Card Sharks
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 11:16:17 PM »
I think that Rafferty is a great, solid host deserving of a much better run on any show at all. I don't know what format might have fit him best. I like Eubanks on CS in his own right, but if I'm watching a recorded copy of CS with Eubanks, I'll usually fast forward a lot of parts to see the gameplay. With Uncle Bill, I'll be watching the whole thing thank-you-very-much.

Wishing I had a TiVo... (anyone wanna sell theirs for all kinds of cheap? Hehe.)
You should follow me on Twitter

TheInquisitiveOne

Card Sharks
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 11:52:17 PM »
I saw Rafferty Card Sharks today, and I have to say that I was impressed.

Rafferty has that smooth, "everyman" style and easily latches on to any format he has touched. It does suck that he is a victim of the "good host without a hit" syndrome.

As an aside, I am glad to see that GSN (at least for now) took the "something for everybody" route and gave us some rare gems. It is good to be a GSN fan again.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Jimmy Owen

Card Sharks
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 12:02:58 AM »
Well, he did have five years or so of "Real People."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

saussage

Card Sharks
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 09:06:50 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 10:16 PM\']I think that Rafferty is a great, solid host deserving of a much better run on any show at all. I don't know what format might have fit him best. I like Eubanks on CS in his own right, but if I'm watching a recorded copy of CS with Eubanks, I'll usually fast forward a lot of parts to see the gameplay. With Uncle Bill, I'll be watching the whole thing thank-you-very-much.

Wishing I had a TiVo... (anyone wanna sell theirs for all kinds of cheap? Hehe.)
[snapback]80550[/snapback]
[/quote]

Gave me goose bumps when I saw it again. And yes, I agree that Rafferty holds his own on CS.

Heck. I hope I'm not wrong with this but did Rafferty Card Sharks last appeared in Dec 1999 during the Y2Play marathon?

(I wish I had the whole Y2Play marathon.... missed out parts of NYSI). A Tivo back then would've been handy :)
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.