Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What makes it 'bad'?  (Read 1626 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
What makes it 'bad'?
« on: March 21, 2005, 09:05:55 PM »
Thanks to our recently departed nutjob Jared, we got the question "What bad game shows do you like?"  I saw a lot of short-lived shows, but nothing that was out-and-out bad.  So, I pose to the group: what makes a game show bad?  What aspects will you overlook if the others are strong enough?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
What makes it 'bad'?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 09:51:51 PM »
Reminding me on the debut episode that the game is a "game of definitions".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

What makes it 'bad'?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 10:04:22 PM »
In the case of a revival, if the show heavily deviates from the original rules, it needs compelling enough gameplay to compensate.

For example, TPiR94 was a nice try, but they took out a major portion of the game. Yes, the pricing games are well-known, but they left out the reason it's called The Price Is Right. I'm not counting The Price WAS Right segments, although that was clever. I still enjoyed it as a 12-year-old.

The aesthetic feel usually doesn't have a negative effect, which is why I didn't mind Pyramid. However, what I DID mind was that Pyramid's execution was off. They could've played the damn game in my living room, and made the bathroom the Winner's Circle (OK, the toilet's too small of a circle). If it had been executed properly, I would've watched. No need for debate, it's been rehashed a million times.

The perfect example of changing the rules for no valid reason is Card Sharks 01. The genius that decided to go from two rows of five to one row of seven cards should be drawn and quartered...same goes for his or her supervisor who actually greenlighted the idea. Don't even get me started on the cheapskate Money Cards.

Also, don't try so hard to be edgy or hip. It is highly obnoxious (and I'm only 22), and it will make me turn the channel.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!