Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: We asked 100 people...  (Read 13075 times)

Little Big Brother

We asked 100 people...
« on: March 18, 2005, 12:51:20 AM »
This crossed my mind a couple of days ago and I thought I'd ask about it.  How were the surveys on shows that used surveys (specificallly Dawson FF and Card Sharks) conducted?  Audience polls (a la Match Game Super Match)?  Former contestant databases?  Random "person-on-the-street" questioning (that was mentioned a few times on CS, right?)?  

Were questionaires filled out, where the 100 people surveyed for a question on a show one day were the exact same 100 surveyed for a question a few days later?  

Also, were the surveys conducted in house or were professional survey services used (maybe not Zogby or Gallup, but y'know)?

Just a curiosity.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
We asked 100 people...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 03:39:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Mar 17 2005, 10:51 PM\']This crossed my mind a couple of days ago and I thought I'd ask about it.  How were the surveys on shows that used surveys (specificallly Dawson FF and Card Sharks) conducted? 
[/quote]
Specifically on those two shows, they used to solicit people during the shows to take part in the polls. (Of course, those segments are cut from the shows we see for the same reasons the ticket plugs are.) It's my guess that respondents were sent a list of several questions to respond to, and then the results were tabulated and used as individual questions.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

We asked 100 people...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 04:12:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Mar 17 2005, 09:51 PM\']This crossed my mind a couple of days ago and I thought I'd ask about it.  How were the surveys on shows that used surveys (specificallly Dawson FF and Card Sharks) conducted?  Audience polls (a la Match Game Super Match)?  Former contestant databases?  Random "person-on-the-street" questioning (that was mentioned a few times on CS, right?)? 

Were questionaires filled out, where the 100 people surveyed for a question on a show one day were the exact same 100 surveyed for a question a few days later? 

Also, were the surveys conducted in house or were professional survey services used (maybe not Zogby or Gallup, but y'know)?

Just a curiosity.
[snapback]78547[/snapback]
[/quote]This one was answered a while back; you may want to search the site.

For years, random audiences to many GT shows were given a page with about 20 questions and one of those annoying 3 inch long golf pencils once they were seated. The completed questionaires were collected by the pages before the warm-up. If you wanted to, you could steal the pencil!

For those CS questions about how many left-handed midgets eat McDonald's french fries, midgets would be solicited on-air to write-in to complete surveys about several things. The questions with the more interesting responses would be used for show questions. I believe independent sources were also used, as many research companies already collect similar kinds of data in measuring media and trends (such as Simmons does for magazine publishers).

I also wouldn't count out GT's own files for some of the more unique questions. I remember being at the contestant offices on Wilshire Blvd. in the late 1980s and seeing a room about 10 - 15 feet deep, filled with filing cabinets stacked on top of each other, all with drawers filled with 5x7 cards. The contestant coordinator I was visiting told me they kept information on contestants from all their shows going back years and years.

Randy
tvrandywest,com
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 04:13:35 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Craig Karlberg

We asked 100 people...
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 04:49:41 AM »
Those CS surveys got even more narrowed during the Bob Eubanks CBS version where a group of 10 people were selected that had a particular theme tied to it(firefighters, policemen, etc.) & those people would come up close to the stage & have a question read for which they responded to on the show.  These would occur randomly throught that episode.  After the question, some of the respondants also can explain why they answered the way they did on that question.  It was a neat departure from the general surveys.

joshg

We asked 100 people...
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 06:41:33 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 12:39 AM\']Specifically on those two shows, they used to solicit people during the shows to take part in the polls. (Of course, those segments are cut from the shows we see for the same reasons the ticket plugs are.) It's my guess that respondents were sent a list of several questions to respond to, and then the results were tabulated and used as individual questions.
[snapback]78554[/snapback]
[/quote]

When I did surveys for the Combs 'Feud', every month or so 3 pages of survey questions showed up asking for "your best answer to this question". I ended up filling out about 20 surveys or so. I also seem to remember hearing somewhere that they actually surveyed 200 people for 'Feud', because not everyone would put an answer for each question. Then it would be easier to actually get 100 responses in line for the survey.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

tvrandywest

We asked 100 people...
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 11:41:38 AM »
Goodson always claimed that he never succumbed to the practice of rigging in the 50s. Well, I can tell you that these surveys from the 70s and 80s appear to be incredibly legit. Although only answers cited by 2 or more respondents appeared on the board and counted in the game, the paper trail includes ALL answers given... some with as many as 15 or so people each giving their own pretty stupid response.

For example, Poll #0108/000003 used on show #141 on 1/19/89 includes the question "Name an animal every kid dreams of owning".

As you'd expect, "dog" is the number one answer with 53 points. But among the respondents participating in the survey was one joker who answered "wooly mammoth". Now you know why only answers with at least TWO responses were used on the board!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Monarx

We asked 100 people...
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 12:29:12 PM »
I wonder if there were more than 7 responses for questions like "What is your least favorite day of the week?".  I'd love to see some of FF's questions' full answer lists.  Anyway, very cool, Randy.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
We asked 100 people...
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 12:46:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Monarx\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 10:29 AM\']I wonder if there were more than 7 responses for questions like "What is your least favorite day of the week?". 
[/quote]
Garbage day. I HATE garbage day. :)

(And I'd even argue that as a perfectly legitimate answer.)

(I don't really hate garbage day.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

We asked 100 people...
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 01:45:11 PM »
And I wouldn't be surprised if some jack tried to answer with "Valentine's Day." Yes, I know it says "days of the WEEK," but I wouldn't put it past someone to try to be a smartass and use that answer anyways. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mystery7

We asked 100 people...
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 04:49:02 PM »
I remember on Dawson's Feud that you had to be 18 or older to participate in surveys. Was that to maintain quality of responses or because they'd send you goodies as a reward for your time in filling out the surveys?

joshg

We asked 100 people...
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 06:26:00 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 01:49 PM\']I remember on Dawson's Feud that you had to be 18 or older to participate in surveys. Was that to maintain quality of responses or because they'd send you goodies as a reward for your time in filling out the surveys?
[snapback]78612[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wasn't 18 when I filled out the Combs 'Feud' surveys, but I guess I passed as a person "with a clue". I remember receiving a (god-awful) bright yellow t-shirt with the Family Feud logo on the front.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

zachhoran

We asked 100 people...
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 07:24:14 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 04:49 PM\']I remember on Dawson's Feud that you had to be 18 or older to participate in surveys. Was that to maintain quality of responses or because they'd send you goodies as a reward for your time in filling out the surveys?
[snapback]78612[/snapback]
[/quote]

They did have some questions, at least in the Dawson era, for which they surveyed kids at a certain LA-area school.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 07:24:42 PM by zachhoran »

GS Warehouse

We asked 100 people...
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 11:10:34 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 01:45 PM\']And I wouldn't be surprised if some jack tried to answer with "Valentine's Day." Yes, I know it says "days of the WEEK," but I wouldn't put it past someone to try to be a smartass and use that answer anyways. :-P
[snapback]78578[/snapback]
[/quote]
Don't underestimate these pollees.  Remember the "name a time people go to bed" question from very early in the run?  Two people said "night"!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
We asked 100 people...
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 01:22:22 AM »
I know they said that every answer had to have two people say it in order to make the board, but I've wondered whether for the main game, they would trim off the 2-pointers if there was an unruly number of them. I was watching a few Dawson episodes recently, and while I can't remember the specifics, I know that I saw a few questions that only added up to about 80-some points total and in which the lowest-scoring answer was worth 3 or 4 points.

If there were, say, six 2-point answers that would have forced them to display the top twelve answers on the board, could they have cut the 2-pointers, since the remaining top six answers on the board really were the top six answers?

--
Scott Robinson

tvrandywest

We asked 100 people...
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 01:47:25 AM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 10:22 PM\']If there were, say, six 2-point answers that would have forced them to display the top twelve answers on the board, could they have cut the 2-pointers, since the remaining top six answers on the board really were the top six answers?
[snapback]78660[/snapback]
[/quote]
Exactly Scott. Including this fact in my previous post seemed to be far beyond the scope of the initial question. But since inquiring minds want to know, let's look at another example that demonstrates this phenomenon:

Poll #0227/000030: "We asked 100 bartenders: 'Members of what occupation seem to talk the most?'" The top 5 answers were on the board:
Salespeople (25), Construction (16), Other Bartenders (10), Factory Workers (8) and Business Executives (6)

Those responses add up to only 65 points. The remaining 35 points are split among no less than 21 other answers, some of which received 4 responses in the poll (secretaries and truck drivers). Others received 3 or 2 responses but were not included for editorial reasons. Indeed, only "the top 5 answers were on the board". Among the 14 answers receiving only one mention in the poll is Nuclear Engineers!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 01:48:25 AM by tvrandywest »