Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about a new clip on POC...  (Read 4305 times)

Kevin Prather

Question about a new clip on POC...
« on: March 13, 2005, 10:19:36 PM »
In Mini-Compilation #1 on POC, a lightning round of Password is underway when apparently a light either bursts or falls off camera. The celeb jokes about the noise made, saying what sounded like "Dr. <something> A. Goodman just shot himself!"

I couldn't make out exactly what he said. What exactly did he say, and is there an inside joke that I'm probably missing?

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 10:25:43 PM »
The missing word is "Reason."  That's the name of the judge on Password -- Reason A. Goodwin.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 10:27:52 PM »
Ah. Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 11:40:51 PM »
I wonder who today names a baby boy, or even a teddy bear, Reason?

Hmmm...

Mr. Reason Harris?
Mr. Reason Treason?
Mr. Reason Kablinsky?
Mr. Reason Goodman?
Dr. Reason the Teddy Bear?  Hehe...okay I'll stop! ;)
-Sanford

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 12:05:05 AM »
Is the Doctor's last name Goodman or Goodwin?

--Jamie
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 12:05:48 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 12:17:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Mar 13 2005, 10:05 PM\']Is the Doctor's last name Goodman or Goodwin?

--Jamie
[snapback]78102[/snapback]
[/quote]
As Steve said above, the authority's name is Reason A. Goodwin, an editor with the World Book Encyclopedia Dictionary.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 01:42:46 AM »
While, we're on the topic of this clip, I noticed that the celeb was allowed to give "Hostess" as a clue for "Host." I've also seen "Waitress" for "Waiter" and "Dine" for "Diner." So I ask you, what exactly were the rules for a legal password clue?

Blanquepage

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 02:29:20 AM »
While, we're on the topic of this clip, I noticed that the celeb was allowed to give "Hostess" as a clue for "Host." I've also seen "Waitress" for "Waiter" and "Dine" for "Diner." So I ask you, what exactly were the rules for a legal password clue? 

I've been pondering this instance myself.
Bill Cullen was once buzzed for giving the clue "sign" for "signal," yet Peter Lawford wasn't for saying "hostess" for "host."
Now I could be totally wrong about this, but I'm thinking that if the clue was contained within the password, it was illegal.
However, if the password was contained within the clue, it wasn't?

Or was this just a case of arbitrary ruling?

--Jamie

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 02:32:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Mar 14 2005, 12:29 AM\']

I've been pondering this instance myself.
Bill Cullen was once buzzed for giving the clue "sign" for "signal," yet Peter Lawford wasn't for saying "hostess" for "host."
[/quote]
Totally should have been buzzed, in each case. Save maybe for Cullen and "sign" for "signal".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve McClellan

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 02:43:07 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 13 2005, 11:32 PM\']Totally should have been buzzed, in each case. Save maybe for Cullen and "sign" for "signal".[/quote]
My remembering of the rules, for whatever it might be worth (think: cheap!), was that a clue was illegal if it contained the password *or* was contained within the password (meaning that Uncle Bill's clue indeed should have been zapped). However, this might have been adopted later in the run, leaving us comparing examples from times with two different sets of rules (not unlike P+ before and after the "no opposites" switch).

MCArroyo1

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 10:34:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Mar 14 2005, 02:29 AM\']I've been pondering this instance myself.
Now I could be totally wrong about this, but I'm thinking that if the clue was contained within the password, it was illegal.
However, if the password was contained within the clue, it wasn't?

Or was this just a case of arbitrary ruling?

--Jamie
[snapback]78116[/snapback]
[/quote]
On what version of the show was Bill buzzed for "sign"?  It always seemed to me like Dr. RAG would be more lax during the Lightning Round the early years.

Blanquepage

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 03:28:57 PM »
On what version of the show was Bill buzzed for "sign"? It always seemed to me like Dr. RAG would be more lax during the Lightning Round the early years.

It was on a '63 primetime episode, but it was during regular game play. You've got a good point; it seemed that Dr. Goodwin wasn't as stringent during the Lightning Round.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 03:30:50 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

BrownBoyUT

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 08:26:50 PM »
Here's a quick (somewhat related) question:

Was the good doctor ever seen on camera?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 09:30:58 PM »
Was the good doctor ever seen on camera?

It has been reported among our community that he appeared on camera during his return as the word authority on the ABC run of "Password." He may have been on during the CBS run as well.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 02:21:13 AM »
The first time I watched that clip, I thought Lawford was basing his joke on the fact that he had just given such a blatantly illegal clue. Hilarious either way, though.

And that P+ clip (which Allen thought was going to be edited out) seemed to confirm what Mr. Chris C. has said in the past about a certain host . . .
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin