Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The $128,000 Question"  (Read 11095 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2005, 07:09:18 PM »
Can someone explain this not mentioning Canadian taping locations?  I am completely lost here.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2005, 07:28:48 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 16 2005, 05:09 PM\']Can someone explain this not mentioning Canadian taping locations?  I am completely lost here.
[snapback]78419[/snapback]
[/quote]
Back on Page 3 of the thread uncamark suggested that no Canadian game show ever mentioned on the air that they were being taped in Canada, or the hometowns of any of their Canadian conestants.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2005, 08:23:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 16 2005, 07:28 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 16 2005, 05:09 PM\']Can someone explain this not mentioning Canadian taping locations?  I am completely lost here.[/quote]
Back on Page 3 of the thread uncamark suggested that no Canadian game show ever mentioned on the air that they were being taped in Canada, or the hometowns of any of their Canadian conestants.[/quote]

I thought he was asking WHY they weren't mentioned--I presume out of fear that American audiences wouldn't watch to watch a "foreign" game show.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

uncamark

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2005, 01:29:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Mar 16 2005, 08:23 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 16 2005, 07:28 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 16 2005, 05:09 PM\']Can someone explain this not mentioning Canadian taping locations?  I am completely lost here.[/quote]
Back on Page 3 of the thread uncamark suggested that no Canadian game show ever mentioned on the air that they were being taped in Canada, or the hometowns of any of their Canadian conestants.[/quote]

I thought he was asking WHY they weren't mentioned--I presume out of fear that American audiences wouldn't watch to watch a "foreign" game show.
[snapback]78427[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bingo--if they were being aired in the U.S., that is.  The fact that everyone on "Definition" said "zed" for "zee" showed that they knew they weren't being imported and didn't care--or why "Jackpot!" didn't have as a riddle:

I'm the funny TV outdoorsman with two colourful names.  Who am I?

(Yes, "Red Green" was on PBS here, but that doesn't count.)

Or:

I do it "National"-ly every weeknight at 10--and have I got news for you!  Who am I?

(If Peter Mansbridge was doing "The National" back then.)

(You Canadians in this forum can come up with a better Canadian Tire or Tim Hortons riddle than I can.)

rugrats1

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2005, 09:07:07 PM »
I do it "National"-ly every weeknight at 10--and have I got news for you! Who am I?

(If Peter Mansbridge was doing "The National" back then.)

Though, keeping the time period of the show, Knowlton Nash could've been the right answer.

(You Canadians in this forum can come up with a better Canadian Tire or Tim Hortons riddle than I can.)

Maybe some Americans can help, since Tim Horton's has some stores in the midwest and northeastern US (thanks, in part, to its parent company, Wendy's).

Esoteric Eric

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2005, 12:29:57 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 17 2005, 10:29 AM\']...or why "Jackpot!" didn't have as a riddle:
I'm the funny TV outdoorsman with two colourful names.  Who am I? (Red Green)
Or:
I do it "National"-ly every weeknight at 10--and have I got news for you!  Who am I? (Peter Mansbridge)
[snapback]78475[/snapback]
[/quote]Or:  "I'm a game with half as many objects as my better-known brother, though they count 50% more, and the balls used to hit them are smaller. What am I?"
(Had to come up with a five-pin bowling riddle, since I just got back from an overnight trip to Victoria, B.C., where I bowled my first six games of five-pin, averaging an impressive-sounding 178, which is equivalent to 118 in the other bowling games.  In five-pin, the pins are valued 2-3-5-3-2 left to right in their V-shaped setup, and a perfect score is 450.)
My name is Esoteric Eric, and yes... I am a bowler. (Now with three variations to my credit; my current tenpin average is 152, and I return to the candlepin game whenever I go home to Massachusetts.)
Oddly enough, I have no bowling buddy; my current league is a doubles league, and my teammate vanished mysteriously after the first week.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 12:30:31 AM by Esoteric Eric »
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Gromit

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2005, 02:04:15 AM »
Wait a minute... You're saying there's a version of bowling with 10 pins and big balls? Not that I've ever seen. You guys, always pulling our legs.

It's funny, I used to watch this show all the time, and I remember *zilch* about it. Even after the insane summary by Don. (really, who remembers all that detail!)

clemon79

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2005, 03:40:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 12:04 AM\']Wait a minute... You're saying there's a version of bowling with 10 pins and big balls? Not that I've ever seen. You guys, always pulling our legs.
[/quote]
Biggest you'll ever see, son. :)

Eric, were these the sort of pins that reset with a string, or do they have automatic pinsetters now up that way? :)

Esoteric Eric

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2005, 03:41:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 12:40 AM\'](W)ere these the sort of pins that reset with a string, or do they have automatic pinsetters now up that way? :)
[snapback]78555[/snapback]
[/quote] Actually, I thought the reset-with-a-string system (as seen on the seasonal CBC Saturday morning competitions) was the newer way to go (and cost-efficient in the bargain, since each lane needs only the minimum number of pins, rather than the several sets that a "conventional" lane uses.)
The centre I went to in Victoria didn't have the string system.  Rather, each lane had two pushbutton resets; one on the ball rack to clear deadwood as necessary after each shot, and the other on the side of the scorer's table to reset for a new frame.  (No automatic scorekeeping, either; it was like converting from Celsius to Fahrenheit to figure out the count on a double strike. ((8=D)) )

Esoteric Eric is so old <MG audience> "HOW...OLD...IS HE?" </MGA>, when Chris mentioned automatic pinsetters, EE first thought to himself, "Of COURSE they have automatic pinsetters; you were expecting them to still use pin boys?!?"
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

clemon79

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2005, 04:29:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 01:41 PM\']Esoteric Eric is so old <MG audience> "HOW...OLD...IS HE?" </MGA>, when Chris mentioned automatic pinsetters, EE first thought to himself, "Of COURSE they have automatic pinsetters; you were expecting them to still use pin boys?!?"
[snapback]78601[/snapback]
[/quote]
I've been to Canada. The thought crossed my mind. ;)

ChuckNet

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2005, 09:27:40 PM »
Maybe some Americans can help, since Tim Horton's has some stores in the midwest and northeastern US (thanks, in part, to its parent company, Wendy's).

Yeah, I spotted one on a drive to Newport, RI last summer...must've opened sometime in the last yr, since on my last visit (Sep 03), said location was a Bess Eaton.

And what's on the same lot as this TH, by less than an amazing coincidence? You guessed it: Wendy's.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")