Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The $128,000 Question"  (Read 11094 times)

rugrats1

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 07:59:43 AM »
Although production moved from NY to Toronto for the 2nd season, they kept their original NY contestant address (a PO Box in Grand Central Station, IIRC).

Did they also have a Canadian address for Canadian viewers (replacing the NYC address when it was shown on Canadian television)?

uncamark

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2005, 05:34:43 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 10 2005, 11:17 PM\']
I love the theme song from this show!

Yeah, it's pretty cool...basically, a slightly slowed down, disco-fied version of the $64K theme. It also used new recordings of the original "booth entrance" and "think" cues.

One item of note: Although production moved from NY to Toronto for the 2nd season, they kept their original NY contestant address (a PO Box in Grand Central Station, IIRC).
[snapback]77822[/snapback]
[/quote]

Of course they did--no Canadian game show that has ever aired in the U.S. has had someone reveal the location of taping or the residence of Canadian contestants.

Way back when "Beat the Clock" started taping in Montreal, they actually bleeped "Montreal" when Gordon MacRae told Jack Narz how great it was to be in Montreal.  If I was of a dirtier mind back then, I could've thought of all sorts of words to put in that bleep besides "Montreal."

zachhoran

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2005, 07:19:50 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 11 2005, 05:34 PM\']
Of course they did--no Canadian game show that has ever aired in the U.S. has had someone reveal the location of taping or the residence of Canadian contestants.

[snapback]77885[/snapback]
[/quote]

They did have a plug for the hotel the players stayed at on the USA run of Jackpot, Inn on the Park in Toronto.

ChuckNet

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2005, 07:50:10 PM »
They did have a plug for the hotel the players stayed at on the USA run of Jackpot, Inn on the Park in Toronto.

Ditto LMaD '80 (Holiday Inn Harborside, Vancouver) and Pitfall (The Inn @ Denman Place, Vancouver), so it wasn't entirely verboten.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2005, 07:53:55 PM »

Well, that would explain why there was a fade out after the plug, as opposed to just dissolving straight into the fee plugs that followed (it always occured after the final break).

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »
Also, "Bumper Stumpers" had a hotel mention at the end [forgot which one, but I think they did mention Toronto].
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

ChuckNet

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2005, 09:35:02 PM »
Also, "Bumper Stumpers" had a hotel mention at the end [forgot which one, but I think they did mention Toronto].

Yep...it was the Ramada Hotel, Don Valley.

Chuck Donegan (The Too-Much-Time-On-My-Hands "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2005, 09:46:12 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 11 2005, 09:35 PM\']

[snapback]77914[/snapback]
[/quote]

USA Chain Reaction mentioned a Canadian car rental company in one of the fee plugs(the ones that weren't culled from $100K Pyramid)

MikeK

• Martha!
"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 09:55:47 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 11 2005, 09:46 PM\']USA Chain Reaction mentioned a Canadian car rental company in one of the fee plugs(the ones that weren't culled from $100K Pyramid)[/quote]
My turn to play a person with too much time on his hands...

Tilden.  They were also mentioned in the fee plugs on Jackpot!

That Don Guy

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2005, 10:33:29 PM »
Being quite the fan of the show (there was a time when I even had audio tapes of both of the finals), I remember quite a bit about it.  Here are a few details that have been left out:

In the first season, the first four "typewriter" questions were two-part multiple choice (although a couple of players got a "choose two out of three" question at the $128 level); the machine had a few glitches - one of the eventual $64,000 winners (the Football expert) was called incorrect on a $512 question because the machine gave the wrong answer.
The three "monitor" questions were one-part "normal" questions, except that for the first few contestants to reach $4000, that question had two parts.  (Two brothers competed on the show separately; they both chose Opera, and both missed $4000 questions, each going home with $1 plus consolation prizes.)
Once reaching the $4000 "plateau", a player missing the $8000 or $16,000 question won a car (a Buick Skyhawk, I think); a player missing the $32,000 or $64,000 questions won $16,000.
There was one significant change from the old version here; if you missed any one question in an "isolation booth" multiple choice (4 questions at $8000, 5 at $16,000 and $32,000, and 7 at $64,000), you were given a "make-up" question and could still win.  (Two of the first season's $64,000 winners - the Wine and Sousa experts - needed it in the last question.)  (There was one exception: the first contestant to get a $64,000 question (category: U.S. Presidents) got a 6-part question but no makeup - too bad, too; he got the first five right but didn't know that Eisenhower was the President when Hawaii became a state (if that sounds familiar, it was recently an answer on Jeopardy!).)
(Two contestants were told that if they got the first five parts of their $64,000 question correct, they would be guaranteed $32,000; however, one missed one of the five parts and the other won $64,000.)

The first question ever asked (in the category Michelangelo): was "Michelangelo" the artist's first name or his last name?  (Answer: his first name - Michelangelo Buonarroti.)
Nobody missed the $64 question, but somebody did miss at $128, not knowing that Lyndon Johnson was the only President sworn in by a woman (normally, the Chief Justice does it, but LBJ was in Texas when JFK died, and they wanted him sworn in as soon as possible.)

There were, in fact, four $64,000 winners the first (Mike Darrow) season (and I think they won in this order): I can't remember the first winner's name - I think it was something like Robert Lupinsky - whose category was Wines (later clarified as "Great Wines of France and Italy"); Don Chu (I think he was a watch repairman - I do remember he was from San Francisco), whose category was Big Bands; Dr. Jacuqline Hill (the show's answer to Dr. Joyce Brothers, although Hill's degree was in meteorology), with professional football; and June Bacon-Bercey, expert on John Phillip Sousa.
There were also at least four contestants who missed at $64,000; two of them were Susan B. Anthony (a distant niece of the women's rights leader), whose category was Women's Rights (and yes, one of the answers was "Susan B. Anthony"), but who missed both one part of her $64,000 question and the make-up (and she realized what the right answer was the minute she was told her answer was wrong), and former basketball player Jerry Lucas, whose category was The Bible (I think it was more of a test of his memory training system); the only question he missed was at the $64,000 level, but when he was asked to name the chapter and verse of the Golden Rule, he knew the chapter, but took a guess at the verse because, he didn't memorize the verse numbers (there were just too any of them).
Anyway, the end-of-season tournament lasted four weeks.  In each of the first three weeks, each of the four contestants got four questions; anybody who got all four right received a fifth question.  After three weeks, the two high scores (the Wine expert, and Don Chu) returned for the final; the first to six won.  Both got to six at the same time, so they went to "overtime" rounds; I think they both got one right, but then the Wine expert missed his question and Chu was correct on his, so he won the $128,000 (i.e. $64,000 in addition to the $64,000 already won).

(By the way...the "security agent", Michael O'Rourke, was shown once, in a long shot handing Mike one of the $64,000 questions.  It could be the same person who was on one of the '50s game shows (Tic Tac Dough, I think); there is a picture of someone with that name in one of the older Game Shows books.)

-- Don (to be continued)

That Don Guy

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2005, 10:34:30 PM »
As I was saying before running afoul of the post size limit:

There were numerous changes in the second season (besides Alex Trebek replacing Mike Darrow as host):
the first six questions were asked to the contestant while standing at a podium (Alex stood at a similar podium about 20 feet away);
the $4000 question was now a 4-part isolation booth question (and you still got only $1 if you missed);
the number of questions at some of the isolation booth levels changed (I think it was now 4, 5, 5, 6, 7);
only the $32,000 and $64,000 questions (maybe the $16,000 as well; I'm not sure) had "makeup" questions if you missed one;
the guarantee prize for reaching the $16,000 level was $8000 and a Buick Electra (and if you stopped at $32,000, you won $24,000 cash and the Electra).

For whatever reason , they allowed a couple to participate as a team (category: Gilbert & Sullivan); however, they missed the $512 question.

Only two players won $64,000; someone who was a World War I expert, and Barbara-Anne Eddy (category: Shakespeare - and I don't think she needed a makeup at the $64,000 level, but she may have at $32,000).  The tournament was different; this time, it lasted three weeks.  The first two weeks each had two rounds; in each round, each player got four (I think) questions, worth 1 each in the first round, 2 in the second, 4 in the third, and 8 in the fourth.  Eddy had a slim lead going into the third day, where all of the questions were worth 16 points, and the first to 128 won (as it stood, they both needed six, but if they got six at the same time, Eddy would win as she would have more points); it wasn't much of a contest, as the WW1 contestant missed a couple and let Eddy get too far ahead.
The last question ever asked on the show: "What is the only Shakespeare play where a son kills his father and a father kills his son?"  (I think the answer is Henry VI Part 3.)

One final trivia note: Barbara-Anne Eddy was in the Guinness Book of World Records for a few years after her $128,000 won, as it was considered the largest TV program win in history.  However, eventually somebody decided that the New York State Million Dollar Jackpot Draw counted as a TV program, and removed her from the book.

-- Don

Ian Wallis

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2005, 09:08:38 AM »

I remember a couple of "Jackpot" episodes where Mike was chatting with the "king of the hill", and they mentioned they lived in Toronto.  One even stated he worked for the Canadian Post Office in Mississauga (which is just outside of Toronto).
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2005, 09:15:32 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Mar 11 2005, 10:34 PM\']
One final trivia note: Barbara-Anne Eddy was in the Guinness Book of World Records for a few years after her $128,000 won, as it was considered the largest TV program win in history.  However, eventually somebody decided that the New York State Million Dollar Jackpot Draw counted as a TV program, and removed her from the book.

[snapback]77926[/snapback]
[/quote]

A few WInk TTD champions passed that mark within the next two or three years, no? What about Terry Nadler's win in the 50s on the original Question?

uncamark

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2005, 12:36:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 14 2005, 09:08 AM\']

I remember a couple of "Jackpot" episodes where Mike was chatting with the "king of the hill", and they mentioned they lived in Toronto.  One even stated he worked for the Canadian Post Office in Mississauga (which is just outside of Toronto).
[snapback]78126[/snapback]
[/quote]

Those were exceptions to the rule--I'm surprised someone didn't yell "STOP TAPE!" and they redid it--"just say 'Post Office' this time."  But no doubt that "Jackpot!" was on a tight time schedule and it was overlooked, but it does seem to me that contestants would be told in the briefings not to say "Canada" or anything Canadian in their interviews, since most of the time you only heard a "from..." if they were American.

And I don't really count plugs because of the assumption that most people (not us) are already lunging for the remote when the host signs off and don't watch the credits.

ChuckNet

"The $128,000 Question"
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2005, 06:44:19 PM »
I remember a couple of "Jackpot" episodes where Mike was chatting with the "king of the hill", and they mentioned they lived in Toronto. One even stated he worked for the Canadian Post Office in Mississauga (which is just outside of Toronto).

I also recall a Talk About ep where a contestant said he and his partner were from Toronto, but yeah, it was rare...the only time I recall Pitfall divulging its taping location was tongue-in-cheek: there was a contestant named Bob Halifax, and Alex said he "shares his name w/a city up here...surely you've heard of Bob, in the province of Alberta, right?"