Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Clark question  (Read 3197 times)

Adam Nedeff

Dick Clark question
« on: March 02, 2005, 11:07:40 PM »
Here in Huntington we pick up a syndicated nostalgia radio show called "Dick Clark's Rock, Roll & Remember" which I had been assuming was in reruns the past few months following his stroke. There was a segment in the broadcast however, This Week in History, which I would think would be edited out if it was a rerun. So I'm wondering if Dick is back to work (studio in his house, possibly) or if it was indeed a rerun. Because if it is a new broadcast, Dick sounded GREAT.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dick Clark question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 12:24:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Mar 2 2005, 09:07 PM\']Here in Huntington we pick up a syndicated nostalgia radio show called "Dick Clark's Rock, Roll & Remember" which I had been assuming was in reruns the past few months following his stroke. There was a segment in the broadcast however, This Week in History, which I would think would be edited out if it was a rerun. So I'm wondering if Dick is back to work (studio in his house, possibly) or if it was indeed a rerun. Because if it is a new broadcast, Dick sounded GREAT.
[snapback]76812[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm guessing it's a repeat, based on what I know of his recovery progress. Unfortunately. :(
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Dick Clark question
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 12:44:30 AM »
Unrelated question:

KIOA-93.3 Des Moines previously carried this show; before switching to "Dic Bartley's American Gold".

Do they still have the 1-800-634-5789 jingle?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

rugrats1

Dick Clark question
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 07:59:36 AM »
If RRR is in reruns, the producers could've simply taken a history segment relervant to this week from an earlier show and placed it into this week's rerun.

Don't know for sure, as it was ages since I heard RRR on the radio.

On a similar tangent -- does Dick Clark still do weekly AC countdowns? He was host of the weekly "US Countdown" (formerly "Countdown America"), but I don't know if that show is still on the air (never listened to it; just aware that the show exists). If it is, I imagine that someone else is filling in for him, as countdown shows can;t be repeated (other than specials).

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
Dick Clark question
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 12:18:53 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 07:59 AM\']On a similar tangent -- does Dick Clark still do weekly AC countdowns? He was host of the weekly "US Countdown" (formerly "Countdown America"), but I don't know if that show is still on the air (never listened to it; just aware that the show exists). If it is, I imagine that someone else is filling in for him, as countdown shows can;t be repeated (other than specials).
[snapback]76837[/snapback]
[/quote]
The AC station I do weekends for (WCEI-FM in Easton, MD) carries the "Dick Clark US Music Survey" on Sunday afternoons.  It's a top-20 countdown... with the usual features a 3-hour countdown show would have.

And... yeah... somebody has been filling in for him since his illness.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dick Clark question
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 01:04:44 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 10:18 AM\']And... yeah... somebody has been filling in for him since his illness.
[snapback]76854[/snapback]
[/quote]
Who is it, do you remember?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
Dick Clark question
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 03:04:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 01:04 PM\'][quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 10:18 AM\']And... yeah... somebody has been filling in for him since his illness.
[snapback]76854[/snapback]
[/quote]
Who is it, do you remember?
[snapback]76858[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not off the top of my head... no.  Sorry.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

TimK2003

Dick Clark question
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 06:59:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Mar 2 2005, 11:07 PM\']Here in Huntington we pick up a syndicated nostalgia radio show called "Dick Clark's Rock, Roll & Remember" which I had been assuming was in reruns the past few months following his stroke. There was a segment in the broadcast however, This Week in History, which I would think would be edited out if it was a rerun. So I'm wondering if Dick is back to work (studio in his house, possibly) or if it was indeed a rerun. Because if it is a new broadcast, Dick sounded GREAT.
[snapback]76812[/snapback]
[/quote]

As far as the Dick Clark RR&R's go, he's been doing that show for close to 20 years, if not longer.  I used to have to board-op during some of his shows back in my early radio days.  And despite his namesake & his involvement in Rock & Roll through Bandstand & other outlets, IMHO, the show always has sounded too laid back & stale and it's a wonder how it has survived for so long. (Personally, I preferred board-oping "Cruisin' America w/ Cousin Brucie" and "Live From The 60's w/ The Real Don Steele" -- though that show was very recycled after a year or two).

Anyhoo, back to Mr. Clark's show.

I would not be at all surprised if they are rerunning shows he did a dozen or more years ago.  One thing I have noticed about his RR&R shows, as well as his daily "Music Calendar" segments his affiliates sometimes air -- He never refers to any past events or songs by saying, "Here's what happened xx years ago", or "It's the *n*th Anniversary of...".  He would always address these happenings as "On this date in 19xx".

My guess is that they are reruns.  And as ageless as Dick is, the syndicators could rerun his shows for another 30 years, and nobody would even blink.  Think of it as a Futurama celebrity under glass.

bclark71

Dick Clark question
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 07:07:54 PM »
Here's the latest on Dick's recovery.  I hope his publicist is shooting straight with us, because I've heard reports to the contrary (and not in the Globe or whatever fishwrapper printed the story referenced in this link)....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...n_tv/dick_clark