Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game '7x... "Hello There..."  (Read 2740 times)

Argo

Match Game '7x... "Hello There..."
« on: February 19, 2005, 01:29:50 AM »
Hi all. I've only had GSN for a few months and on a lot of MG episodes coming out of commercial, Gene just says "Hello there..." and the audience just roars and then everyone laughs. Sometimes he says it in a funny voice or something, but there must be a story behind it or something. Does anyone know what it means or why its supposed to be so funny? I know sometimes when Charles goes "hello" in a real deep voice" is pretty funny, but would this have the same reasoning behind it?

Thanks

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 02:50:28 AM »
Watching from home, I always assumed that the off-air joke that came just before the fade-in was the catalyst for the gales of laughter.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 06:19:19 AM »
Gene would be talking (often with Johnny O or the celebs) to the studio audience about another topic, sometimes slightly risque, as the stage manager counted "5..4..3..2..". He would interrupt himself mid-sentence to address the home audience. The bit was strictly for laughs. That show was a lot of fun, and the set was never silent during commercials.

Similarly, Barker will often say something funny just before coming out of commercial to get the audience giggling. Emotionally, it helps to hit the ground running after the commercial. Scott and others can print the regular Barker-isms, but I hate to "tip" the jokes.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 05:18:52 PM »
I hate to "tip" the jokes.
Then try the okra.

wschmrdr

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 07:39:54 PM »
Well, that's understandable. There's no "commercial breaks" for studio audiences. While they break up the segments of the show, I'd think the celebrities would have some funny talk, or a warm-up announcer would entertain the audience (Randy, have any experience in doing that?). I've always found it weird that they come back to shows like the Price is Right, and you'll see Bob in mid-laugh. But I could understand that the producers would need a few minutes to set up the stage with the next prizes, and obviously the studio audience can't be left there bored!

jmangin

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 07:45:07 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Feb 20 2005, 07:39 PM\']I've always found it weird that they come back to shows like the Price is Right, and you'll see Bob in mid-laugh.
[snapback]75551[/snapback]
[/quote]

I feel the same way whenever Dick Clark makes his entrance on $xxk Pyramid...he's always laughing and clapping when he walks out.  What the hell is going on back there that is so funny?! :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 07:48:42 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Feb 20 2005, 05:45 PM\']I feel the same way whenever Dick Clark makes his entrance on $xxk Pyramid...he's always laughing and clapping when he walks out.  What the hell is going on back there that is so funny?! :)
[/quote]
If I were as successful, universally loved, and filthy freakin' rich as Dick Clark, I'd be laughing and clapping pretty much everywhere I went. :)

Seriously, though, I doubt I'm far off. He's about to go back to work hosting the best game show in the world. YOU wouldn't be in a good mood? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Michael Brandenburg

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 01:53:12 PM »
That "Hello, There" gag of Gene's dates back to the original version of Match Game that aired on NBC in the 1960s and may have been derived from the "Hello, Dere" greeting of Marty Allen, a popular comedian of that time who made a few game show appearances during that era, either alone or with his comedy partner, Steve Rossi.  In any event, here's how Gene's version of the gag often went on the Match Game of the '60s:

On this webpage from Chris Lambert's Match Game website --
http://www.chris-lambert.com/MG/60.html -- there is one photo showing Gene behind the host podium they used on the '60s version.  Next to where Gene is standing is a rectangular box that is open on one end -- that was from where he got the questions for each round of play (only one question per round in those days, which was asked to all of the game's players at once).

Inside of the box was a bulldog-type paper clip that was mounted on a motorized track.  The clip would be pulled in behind the set, a stagehand would put the next question for that game in the clip, and then send it out back out to Gene, where it would "pop up" for him once it emerged from the box, ready to use.

Sometimes, though, the stagehand would be "caught napping," when Gene would ask, "Next question, please," and no question would come out right away -- in which he would bend down, look through the box, and say, "Hello, there," to try to move things along.

Too bad most of the episodes of that version of MG are gone, but we can get a kick out of the occasional "question box malfunctions" that would happen on the '70s version that GSN continues to air today.  (Which would typically have Gene pushing the button on the question-box podium and then having to deal with the fustration that results when the wrong panel goes down!)

Michael Brandenburg
(And a memo to Chris: Your weblink is wrong for Match Game's latest incarnation -- the Match Game video slot machine!  Here's the correct link:)

http://www.wmsgaming.com/products/brands/m...game/index.php#

ChuckNet

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 08:28:07 PM »
I feel the same way whenever Dick Clark makes his entrance on $xxk Pyramid...he's always laughing and clapping when he walks out. What the hell is going on back there that is so funny?! :)

A $20K ep aired on GSN gave us some insight...he's seen chatting w/celeb Jamie Lee Curtis and a contestant about something, and tossing a crumpled up question-card into the WC as if trying to make a basket...suddenly, he's aware that they're back on, and lets out some embarassed laughter.

Seems he did something to "irritate" the stagehands during the previous segment, and that was their revenge. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")