Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will the next anniversary sign in please?  (Read 4676 times)

tvwxman

Will the next anniversary sign in please?
« on: February 17, 2005, 09:17:40 AM »
On Feb. 17, 1950, CBS introduced What's My Line, a low-key celebrity quiz show hosted by ABC newsman John Daly, The first sign-in mystery guest: Yankees shortstop Phil Rizzuto.

So simple, and yet, so great.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 09:27:22 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 10:17 AM\']On Feb. 17, 1950, CBS introduced What's My Line, a low-key celebrity quiz show hosted by ABC newsman John Daly, The first sign-in mystery guest: Yankees shortstop Phil Rizzuto.

[snapback]75296[/snapback]
[/quote]

Except that it debuted on February 2nd....

tvwxman

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 10:49:29 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 09:27 AM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 10:17 AM\']On Feb. 17, 1950, CBS introduced What's My Line, a low-key celebrity quiz show hosted by ABC newsman John Daly, The first sign-in mystery guest: Yankees shortstop Phil Rizzuto.

[/quote]

[snapback]75297[/snapback]
[/quote]

And that's why I don't trust the Rocky Mountain News for my Game show information...heck, they don't even know that Woolery left Wheel!

My bad, and my apologies....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 11:16:03 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 10:49 AM\'][quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 09:27 AM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 10:17 AM\']On Feb. 17, 1950, CBS introduced What's My Line, a low-key celebrity quiz show hosted by ABC newsman John Daly, The first sign-in mystery guest: Yankees shortstop Phil Rizzuto.

[/quote]

[snapback]75297[/snapback]
[/quote]

And that's why I don't trust the Rocky Mountain News for my Game show information...heck, they don't even know that Woolery left Wheel!

[snapback]75299[/snapback]
[/quote]

Matt, don't beat yourself up.  In the Rockies they could have been on kinescope a couple of weeks late.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 03:08:59 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 11:49 AM\']

[/quote]

Quite alright, so called "news sources" can't always be a source, now can they? :-P

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 03:24:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 06:17 AM\']So simple, and yet, so great.
[/quote]
Mark Goodson once stated that the beauty of WML? was in it's simplicity. Paraphrasing as I best remember his words: "... sitting on the bus or subway and wondering what the guy across from you does for a living".

Not that he ever rode the bus or subway   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

JCGames

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 09:20:08 PM »
And Denver didn't have TV until 1952. And when they did, they probably got WML? live at 830pm MST.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 09:20:33 PM by JCGames »

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 09:46:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 03:24 PM\']
Mark Goodson once stated that the beauty of WML? was in it's simplicity. Paraphrasing as I best remember his words: "... sitting on the bus or subway and wondering what the guy across from you does for a living".

Not that he ever rode the bus or subway   ;-)

[snapback]75320[/snapback]
[/quote]

As per Geoff Edwards on his 2000 radio talk show Radio Tonight, Goodson's one-time colleague Bob Stewart did ride the bus to work.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 10:08:22 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 07:46 PM\']As per Geoff Edwards on his 2000 radio talk show Radio Tonight, Goodson's one-time colleague Bob Stewart did ride the bus to work.
[snapback]75350[/snapback]
[/quote]

must...not...make...short...yellow...bus...joke...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 10:44:01 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 06:46 PM\']As per Geoff Edwards on his 2000 radio talk show Radio Tonight, Goodson's one-time colleague Bob Stewart did ride the bus to work.
[/quote]
As per Bob Stewart, Bob Stewart did ride the subways. He says he had the original idea for TPiR while walking through the Times Square area between the GT offices and the subway.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 10:45:17 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 11:37:23 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 08:44 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 06:46 PM\']As per Geoff Edwards on his 2000 radio talk show Radio Tonight, Goodson's one-time colleague Bob Stewart did ride the bus to work.
[/quote]
As per Bob Stewart, Bob Stewart did ride the subways. He says he had the original idea for TPiR while walking through the Times Square area between the GT offices and the subway.
[/quote]
Wow. Just when I thought Zach couldn't get any less relevant. Run along, son. You're done now. It's one thing to be annoying, it's quite another to be flat-out wrong.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 12:27:11 AM by clemon79 »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 12:00:17 AM »

Chris, you do realize that was Randy and not Zach, right?

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 12:25:32 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 17 2005, 10:00 PM\'].....
Chris, you do realize that was Randy and not Zach, right?
[snapback]75360[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes. I prolly should have quoted the entire exchange. I'll fix that.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 05:33:34 PM »
I'm confused (about something pointless): are we saying that Bob Stewart must have rode the bus, or the subway, exclusively? I imagine he sat down every week with a calculator and the latest rates and worked out which method would save him 3 cents . . .
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

tvrandywest

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 06:29:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Feb 18 2005, 02:33 PM\']I'm confused (about something pointless): are we saying that Bob Stewart must have rode the bus, or the subway, exclusively? I imagine he sat down every week with a calculator and the latest rates and worked out which method would save him 3 cents . . .
[snapback]75399[/snapback]
[/quote]
O.K.  We're out of control. I'm sorry if I wasn't specific enough. So let's review...

Mark Goodson described the simplicity of WML? using the term "riding on the bus or subway". As he owned a Rolls Royce in New York (license plate "MG EAST") and another Rolls Royce in L.A. (license plate "MG WEST") I humorously commented that it is unlikely Goodson rode many buses or subways.

Zach reported that Geoff Edwards once mentioned on the radio that Bob Stewart rode the bus to work (it must have been a slow day on the radio). OK.

Now that we were suddenly talking about Bob Stewart and public transportation, I remembered Bob Stewart telling me about his inspiration for the creation of TPiR. The story involves his visit to an electronics/appliance store near Times Square while he was walking between the Goodson-Todman offices and the subway. It's an interesting tale of creativity that just coincidentally involves Bob Stewart and his use of public transportation in New York half a century ago.

I can report with a reasonable level of confidence that the Stewart family owned at least one car in the 1960s. And I know for a fact that Bob Stewart knows how to drive; I've seen him drive in L.A. Many New Yorkers take advantage of the city's exceptional mass transit system; it doesn't have any bearing on whether or not they also use of an automobile.

Are we all clear? Or should we talk about Gene Rayburn and his use of a bicycle in the 1960s to ride to and from 30 Rock when weather permitted?

Transportationally yours,
Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 06:32:24 PM by tvrandywest »