Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show panelist ARLENE FRANCIS has killed Two!  (Read 13364 times)

Skynet74

Game show panelist ARLENE FRANCIS has killed Two!
« on: January 09, 2005, 04:00:43 AM »
I found this interesting piece of Trivia tonight.

Actor and game show panelist ARLENE FRANCIS took the blame for one of the stranger accidental deaths on record, when an exercise dumbbell fell from her eighth-story Manhattan apartment and killed a man who had just emerged from the popular Le Pavillion restaurant. In her 1978 autobiography, Francis reported that she had been having the apartment cleaned while she appeared in a summer stock play in Westport, Connecticut. A maid had placed the dumbbells on the sill to anchor a towel covering the window where an air conditioner had been removed. According to Francis, "While the shutters were being cleaned, the dumbbells became dislodged, one falling into the room and the other out of the window." Francis paid a settlement to the man's family, but was not charged with a crime.

Francis was involved in another deadly accident in 1963: while she was driving in heavy traffic on a rainy night on Long Island, her car skidded out of control and into the path of an oncoming car. Francis suffered a concussion and broken collarbone, but a woman in the other car was killed. Her survivors sued Francis for $1.5 million, but later settled the case out of court.

http://www.who2.com/accidentalkillers.html

John

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 04:15:14 AM »
Sounds to me like she'd be in jail if it were'nt for those settlements.  Whether the dunbells incident was intentional or not ia debatable there even though it was an accident according to Francis.  The 1963 incident may have been a case of vehicular homicide except that the roads were slick that rainy night & may have contributed to the crash.  I think Arlene got away with murder TWICE.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 02:32:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 9 2005, 04:15 AM\']Sounds to me like she'd be in jail if it were'nt for those settlements.  Whether the dunbells incident was intentional or not ia debatable there even though it was an accident according to Francis.  The 1963 incident may have been a case of vehicular homicide except that the roads were slick that rainy night & may have contributed to the crash.  I think Arlene got away with murder TWICE.[/quote]

I think you need to go look up the definition of "murder", and see if "accident" appears anywhere in it.

Oh, wait, I'm sorry, I failed to account for the possibility that Arlene Francis is a criminal mastermind, who managed to intentionally drop a dumbbell on someone's head from eight stories up despite being in another state at the time.

(And the list keeps growing . . .)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

melman1

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 03:42:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 9 2005, 02:15 AM\']Sounds to me like she'd be in jail if it were'nt for those settlements. [/quote]
Remind me again- where's your law degree from?
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 04:51:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 9 2005, 12:32 PM\'](And the list keeps growing . . .)
[snapback]70669[/snapback]
[/quote]
You mean he wasn't an Inaugural Member of yours? He made mine in a damn hurry.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 06:32:09 PM »
Craig, why do you always feel the need to provide detailed analyses of things you obviously know nothing about?

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 07:20:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 9 2005, 04:51 PM\']You mean he wasn't an Inaugural Member of yours? He made mine in a damn hurry.[/quote]

I was away when the feature was first implemented. It's just a matter of how long it takes to be reminded.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 07:39:39 PM »
If you haven't heard this before, give it a listen. It's an
interview Peter Gabel gave to host Jim Benson.

Beyond your first sentence, I'm sorry Craig, I cannot agree with ANY of the rest.

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/archive.asp?aid=1332

[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 9 2005, 02:15 AM\']Sounds to me like she'd be in jail if it were'nt for those settlements.  Whether the dunbells incident was intentional or not ia debatable there even though it was an accident according to Francis.  The 1963 incident may have been a case of vehicular homicide except that the roads were slick that rainy night & may have contributed to the crash.  I think Arlene got away with murder TWICE.
[snapback]70657[/snapback]
[/quote]