Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Password  (Read 9595 times)

jrjgames

Super Password
« on: December 01, 2004, 08:07:54 AM »
Just played SP.

1) The unscramble idea as its clever, I don't think fits with SP.  There was a way BJ could have done this with clues but it would have taken some programming.

2) In Cashword, it would have been nice to have some of the letters pop into the correct positions for the 2nd and 3rd clues.  If you don't know it after the 1st, likely you won't get it with just 30 seconds more.  Some help would have been nice.

3) Bonus round, again interesting but not SP.

Just my thoughts...oh and when you're writing puzzles, BARKER as the first clue for The Price Is Right.....tad easy! ;)

Thats my 2 cents!

John

ITSBRY

Super Password
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 11:36:40 AM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 08:07 AM\']
1) The unscramble idea as its clever, I don't think fits with SP.  There was a way BJ could have done this with clues but it would have taken some programming.
[snapback]65599[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hard yes, but kind of a cool way to translate the game to PC.  My only problem with it is that many of the words seem to be a bit obscure.  Might be neat to add database tables with 'hard', 'medium' and 'easy' words and let the player pick a level before starting the game.  This would make cashword and SP rounds more 'winnable', I think.

[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 08:07 AM\']2) In Cashword, it would have been nice to have some of the letters pop into the correct positions for the 2nd and 3rd clues.  If you don't know it after the 1st, likely you won't get it with just 30 seconds more.  Some help would have been nice.
[snapback]65599[/snapback]
[/quote]

I had the same thoughts on this...these are REALLY hard.  I think some 'help' on clues 2&3 would make this feature much better.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

aaron sica

Super Password
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 12:22:19 PM »
I agree with ITSBRY (if you have a first name, I'd rather refer to you as that :) ), the words should be of varying levels. Some of those words were very obscure. But the game is definitely a lot of fun, although I must agree with someone on some of the puzzles (the one puzzle was "THE TODAY SHOW", which only called me correct when I included "The" with it).

As well, this is one of the first games you've put out where the flash didn't cause the game to freeze (I think no chase lights may have helped). I know that I can move the box off the screen and back on, but hopefully in the future, there's a better solution than that..

ITSBRY

Super Password
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 01:01:01 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 12:22 PM\']I agree with ITSBRY (if you have a first name, I'd rather refer to you as that :) ),
[snapback]65638[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bryan here...nice to meetcha! :-D

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

BigJon06

Super Password
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 01:39:24 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 01:01 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 12:22 PM\']I agree with ITSBRY (if you have a first name, I'd rather refer to you as that :) ),
[/quote]

Bryan here...nice to meetcha! :-D

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com
[snapback]65648[/snapback]
[/quote]

Im scared to reply,  i dont want to get jumped on.
Like i said before with the words reveal in the main game, preset clues for each word would get old real quick per the group of testers i added, and i could even see it being down the road the request for more clues per word.  Say for instance there were 4 clues for each word, yielding 20 per puzzle and potentially 100 per game (assuming 5 rounds were played).  Think how much larger the db would grow to to ensure uniqueness....  Thats why i did the scrambled words and slow reveal as this is what was chosen by the group of people i polled.  Yes, i know its ont true SP, but its very hard to have a screen with the word, and a "judge" to do invalid words or invalid clues, from a programming aspect, its near impossible, unless people typed in their clues and then they turned away from the screen and the "guesser" attempt to guess the word at that point.  Thats one way i thought of it.  but its a shot in the dark.  

True i thought about that extra assistance in cash word but shouldnt u then on that mentaility get more for getting it on try 1 as opposed to 2 or 3.  

LOL, chase lights are evil, but i found away around in sortakindaslightly, LMAO

I may need some helping splitting up those words into easy, medium, hard, 25K + words is a big task for one person....

BTW, i fixed the score carrying over problem and verified it with a few people yesterday... and he said i never fix bug problems.... can u say same day service LOL, j/k

And jrjgames, remember, the 5 clues in the puzzle appear in a random order as i have previously stated, in order to vary it and keep a repeat puzzle fresh, setting a specific order would get easyily memorizable and stale.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 01:42:02 PM by BigJon06 »

zachhoran

Super Password
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 07:51:26 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 12:22 PM\']although I must agree with someone on some of the puzzles (the one puzzle was "THE TODAY SHOW", which only called me correct when I included "The" with it).

[/quote]

Can't recall if this was the case with the Gametek SP game, but didn't some of the commercially available game show computer games(J! and WOF come to mind) only allow precisely the answer, spelled the way the makers of the game spelled it(even if they spelled the answer wrong), with no variation? If so, Bigjon's games are no worse in that regard.

BigJon06

Super Password
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 08:26:50 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 07:51 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 12:22 PM\']although I must agree with someone on some of the puzzles (the one puzzle was "THE TODAY SHOW", which only called me correct when I included "The" with it).

[/quote]

Can't recall if this was the case with the Gametek SP game, but didn't some of the commercially available game show computer games(J! and WOF come to mind) only allow precisely the answer, spelled the way the makers of the game spelled it(even if they spelled the answer wrong), with no variation? If so, Bigjon's games are no worse in that regard.
[snapback]65725[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's a good thing.. I think

BTW, i forgot to put in the UPDATED exe will the setup file so i am putting it back up now. Sorry about that.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Super Password
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 01:01:58 AM »
Now I can't even see the passwords! LOL. We tried playing it, while guessing at nothing. Its a wonderful concept, its just the fact that we can't even see the passwords to buzz in.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 01:02:27 AM by Strikerz04 »

BigJon06

Super Password
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 04:59:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 01:01 AM\']Now I can't even see the passwords! LOL. We tried playing it, while guessing at nothing. Its a wonderful concept, its just the fact that we can't even see the passwords to buzz in.
[snapback]65771[/snapback]
[/quote]

As with any software that installs fonts, you should restart the computer so they can initialize.  Not much i can do on my end about fonts, a restart is what you should do.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Super Password
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 04:18:21 PM »
[quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 02:59 AM\'][quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 01:01 AM\']Now I can't even see the passwords! LOL. We tried playing it, while guessing at nothing. Its a wonderful concept, its just the fact that we can't even see the passwords to buzz in.
[/quote]

As with any software that installs fonts, you should restart the computer so they can initialize.  Not much i can do on my end about fonts, a restart is what you should do.
[snapback]65776[/snapback]
[/quote]
Is there a way your installer packager can display a message at the end of the install process recommending that? If not, you might consider switching to a install packager that can...I use Inno Setup at work when I have to rebuild patches and what not, and I've found it has pretty much every feature I want, be it displaying a warning beforehand or recommending a reboot after. Plus it's free for both personal and commercial use.

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BigJon06

Super Password
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 04:31:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 04:18 PM\'][quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 02:59 AM\'][quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 01:01 AM\']Now I can't even see the passwords! LOL. We tried playing it, while guessing at nothing. Its a wonderful concept, its just the fact that we can't even see the passwords to buzz in.
[/quote]

[snapback]65776[/snapback]
[/quote]
Is there a way your installer packager can display a message at the end of the install process recommending that? If not, you might consider switching to a install packager that can...I use Inno Setup at work when I have to rebuild patches and what not, and I've found it has pretty much every feature I want, be it displaying a warning beforehand or recommending a reboot after. Plus it's free for both personal and commercial use.

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
[snapback]65810[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah i can easily add that in, lol, i assumed most folk new to restart, even thought I'm guilty of it myself with windows update.  I'll do anything to work around a restart ;)

clemon79

Super Password
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 04:51:08 PM »
[quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 02:31 PM\']Yeah i can easily add that in, lol, i assumed most folk new to restart, even thought I'm guilty of it myself with windows update.  I'll do anything to work around a restart ;)
[snapback]65814[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm gonna throw in some free advice from a career of six years plus doing technical support:

NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING. :)

If you don't tell your user to do it, they won't. Period, bottom line, end of story.
So if you do something in the install that there's a chance MIGHT need a reboot to work, you should either recommend or force one, so then when they come to you screaming that it's broken, you can say "hey, it TOLD you to reboot." :) These are the little things that will make your stuff look a lot more professional.

BigJon06

Super Password
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 05:51:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 04:51 PM\'][quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 02:31 PM\']Yeah i can easily add that in, lol, i assumed most folk new to restart, even thought I'm guilty of it myself with windows update.  I'll do anything to work around a restart ;)
[snapback]65814[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm gonna throw in some free advice from a career of six years plus doing technical support:

NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING. :)

If you don't tell your user to do it, they won't. Period, bottom line, end of story.
So if you do something in the install that there's a chance MIGHT need a reboot to work, you should either recommend or force one, so then when they come to you screaming that it's broken, you can say "hey, it TOLD you to reboot." :) These are the little things that will make your stuff look a lot more professional.
[snapback]65817[/snapback]
[/quote]

my plan worked, i knew the word assume would get you to post in this thread....
i already know, i do tech support myself ..... and forcing people is not a good thing...

clemon79

Super Password
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 06:34:20 PM »
[quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 03:51 PM\']i already know, i do tech support myself ..... and forcing people is not a good thing...
[snapback]65822[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, whatever, pal. I tried, folks. Don't say I didn't.

BigJon06

Super Password
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 07:54:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 06:34 PM\'][quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 03:51 PM\']i already know, i do tech support myself ..... and forcing people is not a good thing...
[snapback]65822[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, whatever, pal. I tried, folks. Don't say I didn't.
[snapback]65827[/snapback]
[/quote]

Tried what clemon79??

The reason i took out that force restart was due to requests for it a long time ago.  This was because of people being upset about it.