Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could Daytime Games Even Return at all?  (Read 9420 times)

Chelsea Thrasher

Could Daytime Games Even Return at all?
« on: October 23, 2004, 04:10:44 PM »
It's been eleven years since the last non-TPiR daytime GS' were cancelled...with that in mind: Could there even BE a return of game shows to network daytime?  

Unless one of the Big Three were to cancel a Soap (And every last one is either High Rated in Households, High Rated in 18-34, or has such a loyal fanbase that cancellation would be a PR nightmare), it'd REQUIRE that networks attempt to get timeslots back from affiliates.   I honestly don't know what that would entail, but it couldn't be that easy, could it?

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 04:36:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Oct 23 2004, 04:10 PM\']It's been eleven years since the last non-TPiR daytime GS' were cancelled...with that in mind: Could there even BE a return of game shows to network daytime? 

Unless one of the Big Three were to cancel a Soap (And every last one is either High Rated in Households, High Rated in 18-34, or has such a loyal fanbase that cancellation would be a PR nightmare), it'd REQUIRE that networks attempt to get timeslots back from affiliates.   I honestly don't know what that would entail, but it couldn't be that easy, could it?
[snapback]61774[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't see that actually happening any time soon, at least not a game show in the "traditional" sense.

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 05:08:34 PM »
Not with the popularity of CBS daytime the way it is. It's been a powerhouse for 15 years. Why change the line-up for unproven game shows?

Wasn't it reported that B&B was going to expand to an hour when/if TPIR ends?

Speaking of TPIR (and I don't want to really dig too deep into this), when Barker leaves, what would be the downside of airing reruns from various years in that timeslot and not putting a soap in there?

Is there any incentive to keep fresh new shows on the air as opposed to reruns (besides the obvious of employees keeping their jobs)?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 05:12:22 PM »
Speaking of TPIR (and I don't want to really dig too deep into this), when Barker leaves, what would be the downside of airing reruns from various years in that timeslot and not putting a soap in there?

I don't think that would work.  Eventually, people would get tired of seeing reruns, and no new cars from that year, etc.  I wouldn't mind seeing them do that each summer though - instead of airing reruns from that season, air them from various seasons - even labelling some as "classic" episodes.

Since the networks usually copy each other when one has a successful show, and considering "Price is Right" has been a ratings winner for so long, I'm surprised we haven't seen another shot at a daytime game show from at least one of the networks.  I guess they figure there's only one "Price..."
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 05:24:12 PM »
If you consider what was demographic makeup of the available audience in the 60's and 70's vs. what it is now, that doesn't bode well for any revival of daytime games.  Housewives don't exist anymore.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TV Favorites

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 05:26:19 PM »
I think that reruns of TPiR on CBS when Bob leaves would only appeal to the hardcores like us.  For the general audience, it would be too hard to play along since inflation has greatly changed most prices throughout the years.

I think the only way games could return to daytime network schedules is for the networks to take time back from affiliates which I don't see happening for a while.  Unless game shows became majorily profitable, it probably wouldn't be worth the network's time to produce one anyway.

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 07:25:53 PM »
Wasn't it reported that B&B was going to expand to an hour when/if TPIR ends?

It was mentioned around 1995 or 1996 in ATGS. Bill Bell had said he'd wanted do get another half hour soap on CBS in addition to expanding B&B IIRC. He hasn't gotten a time slot to do it in in some time, as the last change to the daytime CBS lineup was when FF Challenge got axed in 1993, and that hour went back to the local stations.

pyl85

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 08:11:12 PM »
What about one of the "non-big four" networks (UPN, WB, PAX) bringing daytime gameshows back? Don't most of the affiliates currently show mostly synidcated reruns for most of the day, anyway? With the 30+ year success of TPiR, what is to stop one of those networks from going after the ratings that Price brings in? It makes sense to me, put something on besides Judge Smartmouth or Afternoon Yak.

The Pyramids

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 09:30:09 PM »
I agree. Maybe a better question than would networks ever bring game shows back is why no one has at least tried to create a fun, colorful 'TPIR' -like show and stock the audience/contestant pool witth familar college students, military personel etc.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 10:03:55 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Oct 23 2004, 06:30 PM\']I agree. Maybe a better question than would networks ever bring game shows back is why no one has at least tried to create a fun, colorful 'TPIR' -like show and stock the audience/contestant pool witth familar college students, military personel etc.
[snapback]61797[/snapback]
[/quote]
The answer is simple: what's wrong with the one we have?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

rigsby

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 10:47:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 23 2004, 04:24 PM\']If you consider what was demographic makeup of the available audience in the 60's and 70's vs. what it is now, that doesn't bode well for any revival of daytime games.  Housewives don't exist anymore.
[snapback]61780[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ummm...yes, they do; it's just that with the glut of programming available, at least the one housewife I know very well is watching something other than either TPIR or the most of the other syndie junk.  She will watch Jeopardy with me if I'm home in time for it, though.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 12:38:11 AM »
[quote name=\'pyl85\' date=\'Oct 23 2004, 07:11 PM\']What about one of the "non-big four" networks (UPN, WB, PAX) bringing daytime gameshows back? Don't most of the affiliates currently show mostly synidcated reruns for most of the day, anyway? With the 30+ year success of TPiR, what is to stop one of those networks from going after the ratings that Price brings in? It makes sense to me, put something on besides Judge Smartmouth or Afternoon Yak.
[snapback]61793[/snapback]
[/quote]

I thought about that one. It seems PAX is the only one who enjoys doing game shows, but could they sacrifice their morning infomercials (even just for an hour), to air some new games, even if they are low-budget and/or in-house?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvrandywest

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 01:34:06 AM »
More than many, I've hoped for a return to the network daytime line-ups of years past with game shows aplenty. Sadly, I've finally resigned myself to the reality that those days are over. Daytime or not, games seem just not to be relevant anymore, unless of course it's the exception of a specific show that has been part of a viewer's life for a decade or three, during the transitional period to where TV has since evolved. There will always be comfort in the familiarity of seeing the ole Barker on TV.

In my opinion, game shows started to become obsolete when reality-based programming started to populate daytime more than a decade ago. Talk-based shows where people discuss their relationship issues (Jenny Jones to Maury, et al), battles with cancer (Donahue to Oprah, et al), and conflicts with their neighbors (People's Court to Judge Judy, et al) have slowly eclipsed what was once traditional fair. There is still a market for celebrity talk, but when it comes to civilian participants, now that we have accustomed the audience to being exposed to the widest range of human emotions exhibited by folks just like them (non-actors) reliving their extraordinary situations, lottery winners to suicide survivors, it's no longer compelling to see a contestant's simple surprise when being confronted with a new car, dissapointment when trading for a goat, or the frustration and satisfaction of getting a partner to name seven things in their bathroom within 30 seconds.

Where's the excitement of trying to catch eggs in teacups when lipstick cameras can catch the thrills of today's contestants crashing race cars or parachuting in their underwear?

Just my opinion. And in support of that opinion, here's a Pyramid category with few or no answers: Game show hits in the past decade.

And the prospect of relinquishing another hour of network time to the affiliates is not so abhorant these days, since the most of the major syndicators are owned by the same people who own the networks!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 01:39:38 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Johnissoevil

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 03:26:32 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 25 2004, 12:34 AM\']More than many, I've hoped for a return to the network daytime line-ups of years past with game shows aplenty. Sadly, I've finally resigned myself to the reality that those days are over. Daytime or not, games seem just not to be relevant anymore, unless of course it's the exception of a specific show that has been part of a viewer's life for a decade or three, during the transitional period to where TV has since evolved. There will always be comfort in the familiarity of seeing the ole Barker on TV.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]61851[/snapback]
[/quote]

And even if daytime game shows do make a comeback, nowadays, not many like the formats.  Some new game shows come out with formats that many like, but not many these days.  And when we do get revivals, those of us who grew up with them may not be familiar with their new formats, and that could spell doom for the revival after one season.  While many liked the overhauls for TPIR and Match Game in the early 1970s, that didn't mean that people would like the 1990 TJW overhaul.  Sure, one or two people may like the new format, but that doesn't mean that everyone will (See TNPIR '94 with Doug Davidson...I liked the show, but that didn't mean that everyone else had to like it).  So basically, it would be useless for the networks to request network versions of shows from Fremantle, Sony, or any other distributor, given that risk.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 03:27:42 AM by Johnissoevil »
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

pyl85

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 02:06:19 AM »
So basically, it would be useless for the networks to request network versions of shows from Fremantle, Sony, or any other distributor, given that risk.
But what about ideas for new gameshows? Or has the format sunk to the level of Top 40 radio where no one can write a new song, we just recycle the hooks from old ones?
What happened to creative minds like B&E and G/T? Or is it that nobody is buying pitches for new games? Seems like when Goodson died in '92, he took daytime games with him.

-Greg