Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What About "The Enemy Within?"  (Read 2375 times)

uncamark

What About "The Enemy Within?"
« on: October 04, 2004, 05:50:17 PM »
In the comments about how better the UK version of "DED" is than what we did, lost in the shuffle was that BBCA's Sunday morning game show block starts out with two eps of "The Enemy Within," which I found a rather interesting, if a little dry, psychological twist on a straight Q&A format.  The questioning periods seemed a little short, but Nigel Lythgoe was a good host, clearly reading the questions and playing up the suspicion angle without going overboard on it.  However, in editing the shows down to insert commercials, it would've been nice if BBCA had left in something about how the second round is played (I assume that each correct answer is worth 50 pounds, but nothing indicated).  And the U.S. viewers might be confused about the few references to a home viewer playalong game that were left in.

And it's a little creepy to have a studio audience in the room and they're not reacting one bit to what's going on--not even applause at the end of the show.  Does the warmup man stand there with an Uzi and say "If one of you lot claps just once, you're gonna get it?"

Still, all in all it's a nice little addition to Sunday mornings--thanks BBCA!  (The lineup:  Double pump of "Enemy" at 9 a.m. ET, "TWL" at 10 a.m., "DED" at 11 a.m. and another "TWL" at noon--all Eastern.)

And to see what's been edited or not, what was the running time of "DED" in the UK?  (It's in an hour slot on BBCA.)

tvwxman

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 05:52:33 PM »
It took me a while to realize that Nigel was/is the producer of American Idol and that I interviewed him a few years ago....a nice chap...perfect for this quiz!

Dissapointed that i missed DED though....for some reason I thought that would be daily run as well...are there not many eps of Ulrika?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

itiparanoid13

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 05:58:03 PM »
This is one show that America perfected, in my opinion.  Dirty Rotten Cheater is a better show than this.  I really enjoy the American theme better, for one.  I hate the Enemy Within set.  It's too cramped.  However, Nigel was terrific as host.  He poked at people the entire time, which I love.  Overall, I still think, though, that Dirty Rotten Cheater is better, and so is Dog Eat Dog, on a small scale.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 06:32:46 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 02:50 PM\']In the comments about how better the UK version of "DED" is than what we did, lost in the shuffle was that BBCA's Sunday morning game show block starts out with two eps of "The Enemy Within," which I found a rather interesting, if a little dry, psychological twist on a straight Q&A format.
[snapback]59526[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, I left it out quite intentionally...it did nothing for me at all, and Lythgoe totally annoyed the hell out of me implying with every other answer that the current player is the traitor.

I was, to say the least, underwhelmed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brig Bother

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 06:57:34 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 09:50 PM\']And to see what's been edited or not, what was the running time of "DED" in the UK?  (It's in an hour slot on BBCA.)
[snapback]59526[/snapback]
[/quote]

First series 45 minutes, (two minute games), other series' 35 minutes (90 second games). 4 series, I think its six episodes in each one.

The Enemy Within was a daily show that went out in the mornings. I think it had fifty episodes but I wouldn't take that as read.

Reviews and synopses of both of these shows can be found on the all new UK Game Show Page.

Neumms

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 04:04:55 PM »
I've just been watching "Enemy Within" this week, and I kind of like it but. . . what's the strategy? If the cheater wins everybody else's money anyway, what's their motivation to answer any questions? And if if there's no motivation to answer correctly, how would anyone ever spot him/her?

Was this fixed in a later run? It seems like if the cheater's prize was, say, 5 times his/her OWN score, they'd have more motivation to risk giving themselves up.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 08:38:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 01:04 PM\']I've just been watching "Enemy Within" this week, and I kind of like it but. . . what's the strategy? If the cheater wins everybody else's money anyway, what's their motivation to answer any questions? And if if there's no motivation to answer correctly, how would anyone ever spot him/her?
[snapback]61035[/snapback]
[/quote]
The motivation to answer questions is to guarantee that the money is added to the bank. If the Enemy tanks every question, and nobody jumps in to answer them, the Enemy makes no money from his own questions. At the same time, if the Enemy ALWAYS jumps in when the opportunity arises, people become suspicious.

The Enemy wants to maximize his or her take, and he does that by making sure as many questions get answered as possible without letting on that he or she is answering an inordinant number of the questions correctly.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dougal18

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 04:12:24 AM »
Also The Enemy has to watch the difficulty of the questions he/she answers.  If it's particularly hard then suspicion will fall on them.

Or they can just sit back and let a strong player answer all the questions correctly in the hope they are picked.

My favourite bit was the woman who used to cheat her blind aunt at board games.

johnnyd1788

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 03:28:58 PM »
I watched this show for the first time along with their version of DED. I find it pretty interesting. I really don't like those cameras that make their profile all stretched out. I also don't like how they use them when people look at the others. Gak...