Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune  (Read 4015 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Wheel of Fortune
« on: September 28, 2004, 10:30:17 PM »
I for one, like the "Double Play" token that Wheel had for a couple years; it added some strategy into a game that had barely any to start with.

Anyone in the know, why was it taken away?  I recall someone saying that it 'caused confusion' for the players and viewers, but I don't see how.  You fork it over, and double whatever the wheel lands on.  If you get a prize or penalty, it's a waste.  (I would assume the $10,000 prize space fell under that rule too.)  Am I missing something, or was one teeny tiny thing like that too much for the players to handle?
Travis L. Eberle

MikeK

• Martha!
Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 10:51:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 10:30 PM\'] You fork it over, and double whatever the wheel lands on.  If you get a prize or penalty, it's a waste.  (I would assume the $10,000 prize space fell under that rule too.)  Am I missing something, or was one teeny tiny thing like that too much for the players to handle? [/quote]
 If the DP spin landed on a prize, the DP was given back to the contestant.  If the spin landed on Lose a Turn or Bankrupt, yes, it was wasted.  The one time the DP spin landed on the $10K wedge, that prize was doubled to $20,000.

zachhoran

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 10:53:41 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 09:51 PM\'] The one time the DP spin landed on the $10K wedge, that prize was doubled to $20,000. [/quote]
 That one time enabled the team that got it(Sweethearts Week in February 1996) to become the biggest winner in WOF history, with $146,529 in cash and prizes over two days(Friday finals format)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 10:55:27 PM »
[quote name=\'thegameshowfilecabinet\']That one time enabled the team that got it(Sweethearts Week in February 1996) to become the biggest winner in WOF history, with $146,529 in cash and prizes over two days[/quote]
Criminy.
Am I missing something, or was one teeny tiny thing like that too much for the players to handle?
Travis, looking at the morons that have played Wheel the last few years should speak volumes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 10:55:43 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 09:26:07 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 09:30 PM\']Am I missing something, or was one teeny tiny thing like that too much for the players to handle?[/quote]
The two things I remember happening most often (in the realm of confusion) were players annoyed that the game was over and they hadn't used it, and players trying to use it after spinning the wheel and hitting a large number. Pat also seemed to have some trouble on a few occasions clearly explaining, in 5 seconds, how it worked.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

passwordplus

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 10:24:39 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 10:51 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 10:30 PM\'] You fork it over, and double whatever the wheel lands on.  If you get a prize or penalty, it's a waste.  (I would assume the $10,000 prize space fell under that rule too.)  Am I missing something, or was one teeny tiny thing like that too much for the players to handle? [/quote]
If the DP spin landed on a prize, the DP was given back to the contestant.  If the spin landed on Lose a Turn or Bankrupt, yes, it was wasted.  The one time the DP spin landed on the $10K wedge, that prize was doubled to $20,000.
[snapback]58774[/snapback]
[/quote]

Must have been very short lived, cuz I sure don't remember what it looked like. Does anybody have links of screenshots to what DP looked liked? TIA

zachhoran

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 10:31:45 AM »
Must have been very short lived, cuz I sure don't remember what it looked like. Does anybody have links of screenshots to what DP looked liked? TIA

It was two attached circles with a pinkish background and had the word DOUBLE on top, PLAY on bottom, and a dollar sign in the center IIRC.

gameshowguy2000

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 07:10:18 PM »
I remember the DP Token, and I myself thought it was a little confusing at first, but it took me a couple of weeks to finally figure out the rules of using it.

I'm guessing it was retired because it was confusing to the players.

Jay Temple

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 12:28:52 AM »
By my reckoning, the theoretical value was negative.  That's because:
  • You won it in the same way as a prize wedge, so you only got one, even if the letter you called to win it was up there more than once.
  • It was worth no money on that spin.
  • As noted above, it was wasted if you used it and got BANKRUPT or LOSE A TURN.
Admittedly, it's difficult to measure this, mainly because I don't know whether to use the dollar value underneath the disk or the average value of the other non-zero spaces on the same wheel at the time.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Craig Karlberg

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 05:00:19 AM »
IIRC, the Double Play token also acts as a Free Spin token in that once you acquire it, it can be used anytime during any round.

BigJon06

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 08:58:21 AM »
If u check out my PC Games version of it, you can relive the use of the DOUBLE PLAY token ;)

starcade

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 10:06:19 AM »
Wheel is not a game of skill -- it's a game for shriekers to yell out letters and then not have a clue when 90% of the puzzle is showing.

Seriously, when I found out how you could get on Wheel, I didn't even bother trying out.  Beauty contest to say the least.

BrandonFG

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 01:09:18 PM »
[snapback]58965[/snapback]

http://gscentral.net/wof/1995.htm
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 01:09:45 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 06:55:21 PM »
Okay, a question of my own.

http://gscentral.net/wof/1995.htm

The cartoon opening they talk about on this page...does anyone know where I can download this?