Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Surprise! It's Edible Incredible  (Read 1402 times)

vtown7

Surprise! It's Edible Incredible
« on: September 11, 2004, 10:42:52 PM »
Hello all...

Was flipping around on the dish when PYL was on this morning and stumbled across this new show on the CBC.  

How can I describe it?  It's Supermarket Sweep meets Double Dare meets Food for Thought meets Ready Steady Cook meets the taste test section of Just Like Mom.

Yes, that should do it.

In any case... the show starts with a child being surprised (this goes on memory of a newspaper article, as I missed the opening), and another.  They are brought to the studio and they are told which dishes they will be cooking - an entree and a a dessert (one is each of the child's fave dishes).

The first game for points is similar to Sweep, whereby they have to collect 8 ingredients for the dishes in a small grocery mart in the studio.  They must beware, however, because there are similar items sitting next to them.  For example... "sparkling apple juice" is given, but a kid chose juice boxes.  While all of this is going on, twice during the round a sound is heard and they have to play a "grosstacle" stunt.  One featured on the premiere was bobbing for food they didn't like (liver and lobster, respectively) and then eating it.  Once all eight items are collected, they are scanned to see if they are correct.  One point per correct shopping item.

A quick What Am I question is played for up to three more points.

Round three sees the children (and the nine other supporters on their team) memorizing the recipe and then cooking it.  They are judged on presentation (which the resident chef being very exact - 'you have a garnish touching the counter' etc).

Round four is the taste test.  Each of the kids picks five of their friends who then taste test both sides' dishes (blindfolded) and then the final point tallies are made.

Winner gets a pick of some decent sport prizes; this week the child got to pick from a rock climbing package, fencing camp, or open water scuba certification.  This is the CBC folks, be happy that we have these prizes!

In any case while the premise does sound somewhat drawn out, it is quite fun show to watch (and don't tell the kids - it's educational too).  Especially if you're an inept cook... like me :)

If you do get CBC it's on Monday afternoons and then repeats Saturday mornings.  Worth the watch!

Ryan :)