Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who else auditioned for 'Feud' in '88>  (Read 3189 times)

The Pyramids

Who else auditioned for 'Feud' in '88>
« on: September 11, 2004, 07:43:11 PM »
There is a biograpy of Joe Namath in stores now. I went through the index and did not find anything for 'Family Feud,' but there was an entry for 'Felsher, Howard.'

From there it recaps how Joe became real close to being the host of the first revival. Although Mrs. Namath was unsure, Joe was good enough that they started to mak a deal.

However Namath wanted a signing bonus. Felsher wanted to give it to him but Mark Goodson was hesitant. From there they started to look closer at Ray Combs, who of course
got the job.

I wonder who else was in contention. Did the other hosts of the time - John Davidson, Marc Summers, Chuck Woolery, Peter Tomarken - audition for the job? What other 'names' from outside the game show busines (like Joe Nammath) were considered? It makes me wonder

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 07:50:17 PM »
John Davidson hosting Family Feud. Dear God.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 08:09:49 PM »
According to an edition of "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader," Dolly Parton was in line to host the Feud at one point. They don't specify which version but I suspect it was the 1988 version, as Goodson stayed more geared toward traditional hosts when casting the original 1976 series (various websites have listed Jack Narz and Geoff Edwards as serious contenders for that verion).

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 08:32:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Sep 11 2004, 07:09 PM\'] According to an edition of "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader," Dolly Parton was in line to host the Feud at one point. They don't specify which version but I suspect it was the 1988 version, [/quote]
 Dolly apparently did a pilot for Feud in 1996 or 1997 just after Pearson/All-American bought the remnants of Goodson's company.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 05:45:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 11 2004, 04:50 PM\'] John Davidson hosting Family Feud. Dear God. [/quote]
 "Oh, that's your third strike. So what do we do now?"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 06:49:29 AM »
"Smith Family, you've provided us with great entertainment"

"And now our reigning champions... the Jones Family!"

Skynet74

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 11:18:26 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 11 2004, 07:32 PM\'] [/QUOTE]
Dolly apparently did a pilot for Feud in 1996 or 1997 just after Pearson/All-American bought the remnants of Goodson's company. [/quote]

Yes I remember Dolly being considered for 97 Feud. That I definitely remember. Not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me or not, but for some reason I'm remembering comedian Gary Shandling being considered for Feud 88 as well. However I am very unsure about it. So please don't go around repeating it as fact.

John

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 11:34:05 AM »
All of the hosts mentioned in the first post were doing concurrent syndie strips in the 88-89 season, so moving from those shows to host a new "Feud" may have not been possible.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 02:34:15 PM »
I wonder how Bill Rafferty would've fared and if he was even considered.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 04:22:11 PM »
In 1988 Wasn't CBS considering Top Secret before Feud?  Was Top Secret supposed to take Feud's slot before Feud was even considered?

tyshaun1

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 07:18:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' date=\'Sep 12 2004, 03:22 PM\'] In 1988 Wasn't CBS considering Top Secret before Feud?  Was Top Secret supposed to take Feud's slot before Feud was even considered? [/quote]
 From what I've understood, Top Secret was supposed to replace Blackout, which in itself was a holdover for Family Feud, but was still cancelled early becasue of disasterous ratings. But because CBS received a swarm of protest mail about Pyramid's cancellation, they decided at the last minute to bring back Pyramid, and put Top Secret on the shelf. Interestingly enough, Pyramid and Card Sharks pulled dead even ratings, but Pyramid got the boot (again) anyway.

Tyshaun

CaseyAbell

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 09:13:57 AM »
Vaguely recall that the E! dirtfest on Feud mentioned Joe Namath as a possible for the first revival and Dolly Parton for the second. I think there were one or two others mentioned as possibles for the second.

Don Howard

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 10:46:43 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Sep 13 2004, 08:13 AM\'] Vaguely recall that the E! dirtfest on Feud mentioned Joe Namath as a possible for the first revival and Dolly Parton for the second. I think there were one or two others mentioned as possibles for the second. [/quote]
About the same time (mid to late 1990s) there was a filthy rumor going around that Charlene Tilton was being tapped to emcee a Match Game revival. I believe a God-awful pilot was filmed starring the former Lucy Ewing whose airheaded interview on the Today show with Tom Brokaw in 1981 was the final straw in Tom not wanting to anchor that program anymore.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 10:50:12 AM by Don Howard »

uncamark

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 12:15:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 13 2004, 09:46 AM\'][quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Sep 13 2004, 08:13 AM\'] Vaguely recall that the E! dirtfest on Feud mentioned Joe Namath as a possible for the first revival and Dolly Parton for the second. I think there were one or two others mentioned as possibles for the second. [/quote]
About the same time (mid to late 1990s) there was a filthy rumor going around that Charlene Tilton was being tapped to emcee a Match Game revival. I believe a God-awful pilot was filmed starring the former Lucy Ewing whose airheaded interview on the Today show with Tom Brokaw in 1981 was the final straw in Tom not wanting to anchor that program anymore.[/quote]
I haven't seen the pilot, but I have heard enough bad things from others about it.  I do recall seeing a publicity photo from the time with Tilton raising her arms in seeming victory (probably that she could finally read the cue cards).

The pilot was called "Match Game 2" and made a lot of changes from the 70s original in terms of game play, IIRC.   Seemed to me from descriptions that, among other things, the celebs gave verbal responses and the contestants wrote down their answers.  The photo I saw also had the panelists each sitting behind their own desk rather than the two long tables.