Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Convention North?  (Read 2397 times)

vtown7

Game Show Convention North?
« on: September 06, 2004, 10:04:19 AM »
Hi folks,

After reading about the fun of GSC12 in Pennsylvania and the most recent GSCongress 3 in Burbank, I was kind of wondering about having one up here in the Toronto area.

This could be anything from a one day all out event or spread over a (long) weekend, depending on interest.  I mainly was thinking of tape watching and playing home games... we don't really have a thriving game show industry up here right now :)

Principally this would be aimed towards those in Ontario, as well as those who live in the states that don't have too far to travel... but of course if others wanted to come I don't think I'd stop you :)

So for those of you in the general area who would be willing to attend, what are your thoughts?  Mainly at this point it would just be to gouge interest, see what kind of time frame we'd be looking at (fall 2004? spring 2005?).  This isn't committing you, just trying to see if the interest would be out there.

Drop me a line or feel free to post in this thread.  

Cheers,

Ryan - Canadian Idol reject 01769.

TimK2003

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 08:54:09 PM »
Count me as one of the "interesteds".  this Fall may be a little too premature, but the latter half of spring my be better (can't trust those 'lake effect' snow seasons aorund the Great Lakes!!)

Perhaps you can make the 3 or 4 'tournament' games played all Canadian born or bred (Talkabout/Last Word/Bumper Stumpers/Lingo...PITFALL! :-) )

Does Woodbine Race Track on the western side of T.O. have slots?  You could also do a 'tourney' there on the game-show themed slots as well, and unlike the US, 19 is the magical number for slots and Molsons in the Great White North, eh?

In any event, if the GSC was 3 or more days, I would probably make the trip.

ChuckNet

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 08:28:44 PM »
Depending on the timing, I might be persuaded to make the trek up north from NY for this gathering. Keep me posted!

Chuck Donegan (The Interested "Chuckie Baby")

adamjk

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 08:35:36 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Sep 6 2004, 07:54 PM\']
Perhaps you can make the 3 or 4 'tournament' games played all Canadian born or bred (Talkabout/Last Word/Bumper Stumpers/Lingo...PITFALL! :-) )

[/quote]
 What about Definition?

Rastaub

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 08:58:49 PM »
Depending on when this was to be held (hopefully in 2005) I'd be very much intrested myself.

vtown7

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 08:14:18 PM »
My thoughts are if you want to do it on a three day weekend, that we'd either have to do it on May 2-4 weekend as we call it (Victoria Day weekend).

Otherwise, sometime in late june, when I've wrapped up the school year.  I think I would be able to get a hold of some space in the school (they like me!) and also we did order some spiffy new buzzers for the Reach for the Top team, and I am the coach, so...

You can put two and two together :)

Please do keep the idea in mind!

Ryan :)

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 08:17:33 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 8 2004, 07:35 PM\']

[/QUOTE]
What about Definition? [/quote]
 Ooops.  I totally forgot about Definition....

....I must have been catching some Zeds at the time!!!  <ducking>

aaron sica

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 08:17:35 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Sep 9 2004, 08:14 PM\'] My thoughts are if you want to do it on a three day weekend, that we'd either have to do it on May 2-4 weekend as we call it (Victoria Day weekend).

Otherwise, sometime in late june, when I've wrapped up the school year.  I think I would be able to get a hold of some space in the school (they like me!) and also we did order some spiffy new buzzers for the Reach for the Top team, and I am the coach, so...

You can put two and two together :)

Please do keep the idea in mind!

Ryan :) [/quote]
Definitely will do!!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anyone "step up to the plate" yet as far as next year's GSC goes....I think you've got something going, so count me in :)

As well, I have hosted two GSC's, and others have hosted as well. I myself wouldn't mind answering any questions you have...I'm sure the others wouldn't either...

Would be the first GSC outside of the U.S., no?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 08:33:58 PM by aaron sica »

J.R.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 10:29:30 PM »
Since I live way up in Iowa. I would certainly be interested. Depends on when and where of course.

-Joe R.
(Who will promise to bring BENRISCHKE BARS should I attend !)
-Joe Raygor

dzinkin

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 01:08:36 AM »
This might actually be the first GSC I can get to relatively easily and inexpensively.  Heck, if the Fast Ferry between Rochester and Toronto is back in service by then, I won't even have to drive. :-)

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 07:15:10 AM »
Something I found out this past weekend (readers of my LJ already know this),

At the risk of sounding like a frickin' moron, if you're going to go to Canada, bring your birth certificate - I was close enough to Canada this past week (around Watertown) that I decided to visit, but didn't have a birth certificate. I was let in, but given a very hard time by the customs dude.

vtown7

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 09:59:03 AM »
Ooh... this is looking like a distinct possibility!  I actually was thinking about it last night when I couldn't sleep... I have started to think about what games we could play... given that I possibly could have access to a video projector and some other stuff.

Those who have hosted or attended before, could you send me an email on vtown7*NOSPAM*@yahoo.ca (delete the *NOSPAM*!).  I have a few questions about hosting an event of this magnitude... how do the games get put together, details of locations etc.

To clarify, I live in Newmarket, which is about an hour north of Toronto, but I'm sure that we can work things out for transportation up here et al.

I'm thinking for dates that the weekend of the 24-26th of June would work best.  Thoughts?

Whoops, the bell has rung for the staff meeting... let me know what you think!

Ryan :)

trainman

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 11:14:53 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 03:15 AM\'] At the risk of sounding like a frickin' moron, if you're going to go to Canada, bring your birth certificate - I was close enough to Canada this past week (around Watertown) that I decided to visit, but didn't have a birth certificate. I was let in, but given a very hard time by the customs dude. [/quote]
A friend and I went to a couple of baseball games in Canada a couple of weeks ago, and in our experience, getting into Canada was no problem at all (the Canadian customs agent asked us one question and didn't even want to see I.D.)...but getting back into the U.S. was more of an ordeal, and we were glad we had passports with us.

ObGameShows:  While flipping channels in our hotel room in Montreal, I happened to see a promo for "Vingt et Un."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 11:16:38 PM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains