Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The next revival: "High Rollers"  (Read 5625 times)

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
The next revival: "High Rollers"
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2004, 03:44:09 PM »
Why not just play it like the 1978 version exactly? I seemed to like it that way... if it ain't broke don't fix it!

:-D

But I could just imagine Neumms' suggestion... "It's 2004.... it's the New Baby High Rollers!!!, and here's the man with the action.... Baby Kermit the Frog!!!!"...... Hi-ho!!!" <ducks fire>
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 03:45:53 PM by NicholasM79 »

sshuffield70

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2004, 04:32:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 11:46 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 10:58 AM\'] [quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 08:38 AM\'] Oh, of course, I should've mentioned that a bad roll would give the game to your opponent. [/quote]
...making your version of the show just as broken as the original. [/quote]
But you're not getting it. See, one player is playing PINK numbers, the other BABY BLUE numbers! And each could have his or her own dice table with felt dyed to match their numbers! [/quote]
 In which case, it could be hosted by one of the Fab Five! :) :)

gshowguy

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2004, 05:13:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 11:46 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 10:58 AM\'] [quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 08:38 AM\'] Oh, of course, I should've mentioned that a bad roll would give the game to your opponent. [/quote]
...making your version of the show just as broken as the original. [/quote]
But you're not getting it. See, one player is playing PINK numbers, the other BABY BLUE numbers! And each could have his or her own dice table with felt dyed to match their numbers! [/quote]
 I meant, the numbers would be different colors. It's the MONITORS with the numbers (they are slide-projected) that are colored blue and pink. Also, they play the same dice table, so the monitors would spin around to face the table, depending on who's playing (again, if it's champ, it's the pink monitor, if it's challenger it's sky blue.). That's what I've been trying to say.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2004, 06:06:32 PM »
Can we say, useless? I mean, does it take a lot of thought to know who the champ and who the challenger is than to just attach a color to them that has no bearing on the game whatsoever and its outcome? It's extraneous.

I mean, to use an example, look at ESPN2 and their airing of the Little League World Series... I mean, do they have to have that graphic up on the screen that says "LL World Series"!?!? It's sad that we as a culture have to contstantly have graphics that remind us of who someone is or what event something is so we won't forget it two seconds later and say "what the heck was I watching again?"...

...feel free to disagree if you wish.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 06:07:32 PM by NicholasM79 »

tvwxman

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2004, 06:28:06 PM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 04:13 PM\']
I meant, the numbers would be different colors. It's the MONITORS with the numbers (they are slide-projected) that are colbblahblahblahblahblah [/quote]
 We know what you meant. We still think you're a friggin loon.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2004, 06:31:15 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 05:06 PM\'] I mean, to use an example, look at ESPN2 and their airing of the Little League World Series... I mean, do they have to have that graphic up on the screen that says "LL World Series"!?!? It's sad that we as a culture have to contstantly have graphics that remind us of who someone is or what event something is so we won't forget it two seconds later and say "what the heck was I watching again?"... [/quote]
 Kinda like how I don't understand why on some game shows now, they have a bug in the bottom of the screen telling us the name of the shows, like Wheel, J!, Street Smarts, H*2, etc. Like I can't figure out what that I'm watching Wheel or Hollywood Squares...gee, I guess the big-ass wheel or tic-tac-toe board didn't tip me off?

Same goes for some talk shows.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gshowguy

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2004, 06:34:04 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 03:32 PM\'] In which case, it could be hosted by one of the Fab Five! :) :) [/quote]
 Now, that was hilarious. If you think you can come up with a better revival than me, give it a shot.

adamjk

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2004, 06:35:18 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 05:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 05:06 PM\'] I mean, to use an example, look at ESPN2 and their airing of the Little League World Series... I mean, do they have to have that graphic up on the screen that says "LL World Series"!?!? It's sad that we as a culture have to contstantly have graphics that remind us of who someone is or what event something is so we won't forget it two seconds later and say "what the heck was I watching again?"... [/quote]
Kinda like how I don't understand why on some game shows now, they have a bug in the bottom of the screen telling us the name of the shows, like Wheel, J!, Street Smarts, H*2, etc. Like I can't figure out what that I'm watching Wheel or Hollywood Squares...gee, I guess the big-ass wheel or tic-tac-toe board didn't tip me off?

Same goes for some talk shows. [/quote]
 Didn't Pyramid do the same thing?

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2004, 06:37:43 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 05:35 PM\'] Didn't Pyramid do the same thing? [/quote]
 Nope...they just liked to constantly remind us who the celebrities were on the episode. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2004, 07:01:59 PM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 03:34 PM\'] Now, that was hilarious. If you think you can come up with a better revival than me, give it a shot. [/quote]
 Okay.

(DISCLAIMER: I threw this together in about five minutes. It has not been playtested for visual entertainment value or mathematical / budgetary balance. So you're really not gonna end my day if you fry the hell out of it.)

The problem with HR is the simple fact that players are encouraged not to keep the dice in the latter stages of the game. So what needs to happen with any revival is a rule change that will encourage a player to take that chance to clear the board.

I'm not going to bore you with crappy set design details, I'm worried about the game here, not how it looks. Get Thom Filicia in here if you want to worry about the set.

First things first: No columns, none of that crap. The game is played against the Big Numbers board at all times, except there is a readout above it, which displays the value of the Jackpot. The Jackpot is an amount of money put into the pot at the start of each game, which is awarded to a player IF AND ONLY IF they knock the last number off of the board in a game.

Standard HR tossup applies. Player who wins control of dice decides whether to play or pass, but player who eventually rolls dice decides HOW MANY DICE THEY WILL ROLL. (This will hopefully encourage attempts to knock off those 2's, 3's, and 4's. It also fixes the "only the 1 is left" deadlock.)

Game pays $50 for each number knocked off of the board. Game is lost with TWO CONSECUTIVE bad rolls without an insurance marker. (The first one puts you On The Bubble or In Danger or some crap, with appropriate red tinted lighting, not unlike The Block on Studio 7.)

Winning the game by knocking off the last number wins the Jackpot, winning it by opponent crapping out pays the winner a lesser amount.

Immediately start new game: relight the board, increase (or restock) Jackpot, lather, rinse, repeat, until Time's Up Bell sounds. (Yeah, I don't like Time's Up Bells either, but we gotta shoehorn this into a half-hour.)

Winner plays the traditional Big Numbers for whatever. Winner also gets one free Insurance Marker for winning the game. Because of the increased win percentage, there is no need to increase the Big Numbers payout beyond $10,000.

Bring back returning champions or not. You choose. (I choose to, of course, but I'm not looking to sell this.)

My way of thinking, the extra rolls, in combination with deciding whether to roll one die of two, is going to make it MUCH easier to clear the board, but not SO easy that an extra cash incentive for doing so isn't warranted. I'm also thinking that it will make someone keep the dice where on the original show they would pass them.

So there you go. Flame away, but, again, remember this is FAR from fully developed, and may have holes the size of Mack trucks that haven't occurred to me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

adamjk

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2004, 07:23:52 PM »
A few things:

First off, I think the jackpot should be increased each game it is not won. Like start it at $5,000, and have it increase $1,000 each time not won, what do you think?

Also, if an opponent craps out to cause a win, would the winner get extra money, or just what they earned in the game?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2004, 07:41:32 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 04:23 PM\'] First off, I think the jackpot should be increased each game it is not won. Like start it at $5,000, and have it increase $1,000 each time not won, what do you think?
 [/quote]
 I'm leaving open the option for the show to be standalone without returning champions. Can't have a progressive jackpot if you're gonna run the shows out of sequence. I think the Big Numbers will be hit often enough that it's pointless anyhow.
Also, if an opponent craps out to cause a win, would the winner get extra money, or just what they earned in the game?
I am unsurprised to find that you didn't read very carefully at all. If you had you would know the answer to this question.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

adamjk

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2004, 07:50:47 PM »
Well it just says a lesser amount, it doesn't specfically say that they get the main game earnings.

If that is the case though, then I have another idea. If an opponent craps out, then I think you should give the winner an extra $50 or $100 for each number still on the board.

Wait a minute scratch that, I have another idea. For the main game, have each number in game 1, worth $50, game 2 $100, game 3 $200 and so on. Same goes for remaining numbers when an opponent craps out.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 07:58:05 PM by adamjk »

dzinkin

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2004, 07:56:04 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 07:50 PM\'] Well it just says a lesser amount, it doesn't specfically say that they get the main game earnings. [/quote]
What specifically was said to make you think that the contestant DOESN'T get the main game earnings in addition to the "lesser amount"?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 07:56:41 PM by dzinkin »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2004, 08:17:04 PM »
This would be a radical change, but I'd like everyone's thoughts.  In the main game, the object would be to get to a certain point total, say 25 points.  Every correct answer would get a roll, so it would take at least three questions to win a game.  An idea I would borrow from "The Big Showdown" would be the payoff point: a prize would be awarded to any player who matches the payoff point, set randomly before the game.  The end game would be the traditional "Big Numbers." This would eliminate the hemming and hawing, passing, etc.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.