Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UK Game Shows  (Read 6323 times)

inturnaround

UK Game Shows
« on: July 14, 2003, 06:09:33 PM »
So, I'll be leaving the great United States for 10 days in about a week and I was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable in these things can suggest game shows I can catch while I'm there.

Last time I was there I caught WWTBAM and Weakest Link (I remember watching a little of Cilla Black's \"Blind Date\", too). I doubt there are any prime time games anymore, but I'm sure there are some shows that I shouldn't miss.

Any suggestions?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

PeterMarshallFan

UK Game Shows
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 08:26:45 PM »
Could you see for me if Blankety Blank is still on?

Brig Bother

UK Game Shows
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 08:32:53 AM »
It isn't, currently.

I recommend The Vault on Saturday night on ITV1, you might catch the Final of Big Brother if you're over next Friday, Grand Slam is well worth a look on Friday evening on Channel 4. Um... other than that nothing exciting comes to mind.

tommycharles

UK Game Shows
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 01:12:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 07:32 AM\'] I recommend The Vault on Saturday night on ITV1, you might catch the Final of Big Brother if you're over next Friday, Grand Slam is well worth a look on Friday evening on Channel 4. Um... other than that nothing exciting comes to mind. [/quote]
 Didn't The Vault get a new host? How is he/she doing?

I would say if nothing else stay FAR, FAR away from the new version of Call My Bluff. Oh, and if you really want to see millionaire, ITV1 airs reruns at 5:30 in the afternoon.

...and not that you asked, but if you're in the UK and stuck for something to do  SEE We Will Rock You !!! It's the best show in the west end currently.

Brig Bother

UK Game Shows
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 04:13:27 PM »
Melanie Sykes, taking over from Davina McCall (who's rather busy with hosting Big Brother and being pregnant at the mo). I don't think she's as good, certainly doesn't stamp any sort of personality over the show and somehow manages to make the show seem very complicated reading the autocue which it isn't really, and certainly not how Davina would have done it.

Incidentally, E4 (the cable offshoot of Channel 4) is going to be showing delayed streaming coverage of US Big Brother 20 hours a day when our one finishes next Friday. This might be interesting...

If you've got access to Challenge TV at all, I heartily recommend Fort Boyard and Crystal Maze as being lots of fun. They also show Family Fortunes (Family Feud, if you will), Bruce's Play Your Cards Right (Card Sharks) and Bruce's Price is Right (Wipeout. No not really.)

Oh! And Winning Lines is back on Saturdays now as well.

davidbod

UK Game Shows
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 06:45:17 PM »
If you join the [ukgameshows] Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ukgameshows/join then on Thursdays you'll receive a listing of the upcoming UK game shows.
David J. Bodycombe, Labyrinth Games

Author of How To Devise A Game Show

uncamark

UK Game Shows
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 07:15:06 PM »
I don't know if the gentlemen overseas who are actually seeing the shows would agree with me, but Monday nights on BBC2, when the new version of \"Mastermind\" and \"University Challenge,\" the venerable British version of \"College Bowl,\" air back-to-back might be a good idea.  I would point out that right now, \"University Challenge\" is in their summer mode, where instead of college students, the teams are \"The Professionals\"--four people with the same occupation.  You might think of it as a more intellectual version of \"Hot Potato,\" if you will.

\"Mastermind,\" from what I hear, remains the same difficult quiz that it's always been--the main change for its revival is that John Humpheys, the new host, chats more with the contestants than Magnus Magnusson did, probably since they're doing the whole bunch in a studio rather than traveling around various halls throughout the UK, thereby not having to do an opening travelogue segment before starting the game.

tommycharles

UK Game Shows
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 12:36:46 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 16 2003, 06:15 PM\'] I don't know if the gentlemen overseas who are actually seeing the shows would agree with me, but Monday nights on BBC2, when the new version of "Mastermind" and "University Challenge," the venerable British version of "College Bowl," air back-to-back might be a good idea.  I would point out that right now, "University Challenge" is in their summer mode, where instead of college students, the teams are "The Professionals"--four people with the same occupation.  You might think of it as a more intellectual version of "Hot Potato," if you will.

"Mastermind," from what I hear, remains the same difficult quiz that it's always been--the main change for its revival is that John Humpheys, the new host, chats more with the contestants than Magnus Magnusson did, probably since they're doing the whole bunch in a studio rather than traveling around various halls throughout the UK, thereby not having to do an opening travelogue segment before starting the game. [/quote]
 On UC: TP --

Its very entertaining, and the questions strike me as a little easier than the regular series.

The new mastermind --

Wow - didn't know about it, but John Humphries should make a good host.

inturnaround

UK Game Shows
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 03:59:36 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I am very much looking forward to visiting, watching some \"new\" game shows is just gravy.

As for \"We Will Rock You\", I shall consider it...if it's available at TKTS for half-price.

But where can I find Countdown? I've heard a lot about that and I remember Carol Vorderman from some kids show called \"How 2\" they carred on WAM in America. I looked at the rules and I must admit that I'm stymied.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

kelvint

UK Game Shows
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2003, 04:32:38 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jul 18 2003, 03:59 PM\'] But where can I find Countdown? I've heard a lot about that and I remember Carol Vorderman from some kids show called "How 2" they carred on WAM in America. I looked at the rules and I must admit that I'm stymied. [/quote]
 \"Countdown\" is shown weekdays afternoons on Channel 4, an over-the-air station.  It's pretty easy to get into, once you've watched a letters and numbers game.

Also, I suggest tuning into another long-running quiz, \"Fifteen to One\" (currently in repeats) airing before \"Countdown\".  Check the TV listings at www.channel4.com because times vary.

Brig Bother

UK Game Shows
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 08:51:50 PM »
Blimey! Countdown's the easiest show in the world to play. Basically: make the longest word out of these nine letters in 30 seconds. Then try to make this big number using these small numbers. Finally: solve this anagram.

It's normally on weekdays at 4:15. 15-1 tends to start at 3:45 but is often pushed if there's cricket on or something. Similarly, Weakest Link should be on every day at 5:15 on BBC2.

ChuckNet

UK Game Shows
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2003, 01:18:32 AM »
\"Countdown\" is shown weekdays afternoons on Channel 4, an over-the-air station. It's pretty easy to get into, once you've watched a letters and numbers game.

And also the subject of an urban legend, only this one wasn't true...do a search on Snopes.com and see what you get. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

inturnaround

UK Game Shows
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2003, 02:29:11 AM »
Actually, I think the truth in the urban legend is much funnier! :)

Has anyone ever considered doing a US Countdown? (Or is there one that I'm not aware of that had already been done?)

At any rate, I'll be leaving Tuesday. I'll see what I can see. :)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

GS Warehouse

UK Game Shows
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2003, 10:00:12 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 01:29 AM\'] Has anyone ever considered doing a US Countdown? (Or is there one that I'm not aware of that had already been done?) [/quote]
 Actually, a revival would require a new title.  Countdown is the name of Keith Olbermann's program on MSNBC.  (I would say I watch it, but if I did, Zinkin would come after me. j/k)

BrandonFG

UK Game Shows
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2003, 10:05:31 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 01:29 AM\']Has anyone ever considered doing a US Countdown? (Or is there one that I'm not aware of that had already been done?)

[/quote]
(raises hand)

Oh, you meant a US Countdown based on the UK version...oops ;-)

Seriously, I don't think the US has the attention span for such a show.  Besides, some producer would find a way to screw it up with a big money format, Jerry Springer audience, and a way to screw over your opponent. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!