Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If "$ale of the Century" returned...  (Read 5679 times)

gshowguy

If "$ale of the Century" returned...
« on: August 17, 2004, 05:49:10 PM »
Here's how I think I could use for a new version of "$ale of the Century" (hopefully, StinkMantle is reading this and ISN'T screwing this up!):

Three players, each starting with $20 (or $200 on on my proposed prime-time version). Players may ring-in during the question, and each right answer is worth $5 ($50 prime-time, note all values are 10x higher on prime-time), while a wrong answer loses that amount. After five, six, or seven questions, the player with the most cash is offered an "In$tant Bargain", like a 13" television worth $145 for $8. There is also a "Fame Game" round, where a really long question is asked about a famous (or infamous) someone, and the player who gets it right chooses one of nine numbers on the "Fame Game" board, which could be from $5-$15, or a cash jackpot starting at $1,000 and rising up by $500 each day until won. After three "In$tant Bargains" and two "Fame Games", we culminate with a 60-second lightning round (which I call the "Fast 60 Seconds of TV"), this time, with each right answer worth $10, and a wrong answer losing $10. The highest score after this round goes to play a two-part bonus round. If there's a tie, a sudden-death tie-breaker question is asked, or, if time is allowed, one final "Fame Game" question to determine the winner.

In the first part of the bonus round, I use the same word puzzle game we know and hate, but this time, the clues are to answers that are actually related to the prizes on the stage. It's only 15 seconds long, and each right answer adds $15 to your final score. When time runs out...

"Let's go shopping!" Now, comes the shopping part that builds up the suspense, whether or not you want to take this prize, or discard it in an attempt to build up more money to win the lot (you need at least $1,000 total in score money to win the lot). If you lose the game on your second day (and subsequent days) everything goes bye-bye, but if you score $1,000 total (again, in score money), you win everything plus a jackpot that starts at $100,000 and goes up by $25,000 each time it isn't won (on prime-time, it's $1,000,000 and goes up by a quarter-million each time it isn't won, and you need $10,000 in score money to claim it).

That's the game.

Here's what I'd use:

Set: Same as the one on the more recent Australian version (only difference is that the podiums' score displays are in EggCrate font, and they use red buttons on yellow stands like on most US game show podiums)

Host: I'd get Jim Perry back, but if he can't make it, I could use Peter Tomarken, or I could use some Aussie flair from Tony Barber or Glenn Ridge.

Hostess: Definitely Summer Bartholomew.

Announcer: Burton Richardson or Charlie O'Donnell comes to mind, maybe even Pete Smith from the Aussie version (I could picture Charlie-O giving a long emphasis on 100 THOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND DOLLARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSS!!! on this show).

Where to put it: Syndication for daytime, NBC for prime-time

What do you think?

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 07:17:55 PM »
I'm curious, why the inflated values for primetime? I mean, they're the same values on Sale, whether $5 or multiplied ten fold.

David

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 07:45:54 PM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' date=\'Aug 17 2004, 04:17 PM\'] I'm curious, why the inflated values for primetime? I mean, they're the same values on Sale, whether $5 or multiplied ten fold.
 [/quote]
 Because our new poster is obviously rather unclear on the concepts behind Mo Money Syndrome.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 07:48:47 PM »
I may as well tell you that this is purely a case of "Mo Money Syndrome." My thing is, a seven-figure jackpot is not needed for a show such as $ale. Add some semblance of difficulty to the show, and the jackpot will build on itself. (Watch some of the Aussie episodes or the early episodes of our version to see what I mean.)

As I have said before, the essence of $otc needs not be changed. If it were to be revived, make it a hybrid of the Aussie and American versions. Add the colors of the Aussie set with the design of the American version; the third Instant Bargain can serve as both a prize offering and a cash offering (I saw this in an episode of the Aussie version from 1990; it is still rather confusing for me).

If the Shopping Round is completely repulsed, mix the elements of Shopping with the elements of the Winner's Board. There are six prizes on the board, with the car only being won on the wild card match. After the prize is won, he or she can either (a) Take the prize and go, or (b) risk every prize won on the board at that point in order to try and come back tomorrow. Clearing the board results in an additional $10,000 bonus.

The risk is then huge (and is common knowledge to us fellow board members): he or she can take everything and run, or risk all Winner's Board prizes to play game number 7. Losing results in losing everything; winning results in all the prizes plus the cash jackpot (starting at - of course - $50,000 + $1,000 for each day that it is not hit).

Syndication would be a good home for it, since the show does not have to be worried about being mangled and cheapened like the last US version was.

Remember, if it is not broke, then do not fix it. $otC was a good example of that.

The Inquisitive One

EDIT: In case you did not know, Mo Money Syndrome is a phrase coined by this community which represents the false analogy that more money would rake in more viewers. Welcome to the board!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 08:00:12 PM by TheInquisitiveOne »
This is the Way.

gshowguy

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 09:12:20 PM »
OK... that works.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 09:49:02 PM »
IIRC, Joe Garagiola hosts the current slot machine version of the show. I think he would still be game to host the revival.  I'd make it a four-week primetime tournament with the fourth week being a final with the top three money earners coming back for the final show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gshowguy

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 09:52:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 17 2004, 08:49 PM\'] IIRC, Joe Garagiola hosts the current slot machine version of the show. I think he would still be game to host the revival.  I'd make it a four-week primetime tournament with the fourth week being a final with the top three money earners coming back for the final show. [/quote]
 I don't know. When "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" got changed from a series of prime-time specials to a daily series, they were a BIG HIT with the audience.

BTW, what did you think of my idea for host, hostess, and announcer?

DJDustman

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 10:03:33 PM »
The best way for Sale to be revived is to leave it the way it was.  Leave shopping format alone and everything.  Only thing that should be changed is the Cash Jackpot (Start it at $100,000).

sshuffield70

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 10:15:39 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Aug 17 2004, 09:03 PM\'] The best way for Sale to be revived is to leave it the way it was.  Leave shopping format alone and everything.  Only thing that should be changed is the Cash Jackpot (Start it at $100,000). [/quote]
 This is one revival that shouldn't require the "Mo' Money Syndrome".  Leave it at $50,000.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 11:21:42 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Aug 17 2004, 07:03 PM\'] Only thing that should be changed is the Cash Jackpot (Start it at $100,000). [/quote]
 *sigh.*
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 11:48:35 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Aug 17 2004, 09:03 PM\'] The best way for Sale to be revived is to leave it the way it was.  Leave shopping format alone and everything.  Only thing that should be changed is the Cash Jackpot (Start it at $100,000). [/quote]
 As one other board member says, starting it at $50,000 would suffice. Also, even though we may enjoy the shopping format, the general audience may not be in the same boat. There was a reason why the Shopping Round was dumped in the syndicated version of our version of $ale. I can't see budget cuts as a possibility.

The Aussie Winner's Board was that perfect hybrid of the "win the big prize anytime" element of the Winner's Board with the risk of the Shopping Round. That is why that, if a revival is to ever take place, that bonus round should be implemented.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 09:16:57 AM »
I posted my version ages ago, but after some encouragement from Chris Lemon, i have tweaked some things.

Here's how I'd do it:

Round 1: Questions worth $5 each
Instant Bargain
Round 2: Questions worth $5 each
Instant Bargain
Fame Game-played same as before, except it's back to faces. if the show were on a network, it would use the faces of stars from that network. If it were syndicated, it could be any stars.
Round 3: Questions worth $10 each
Instant Bargain
Fame Game
Speed Round: Questions worth $10 each.

All contestants recive their scores in cash and the prizes they won on stage.

The end Game: The $ale of the Century
Contestants win it all if they reach a score of $750. This makes it so that better players can win in shorter amounts of time. Here's the prize chart. As before, they "buy" these prizes at greatly reduced prices.

Day #1- A trip, valued at 7-9K
Day #2- 3 rooms of furniture, valued at 15K
Day #3- A $20,000 shopping Spree
Day #4- A Trip Around the World, valued at 30K or so
Day #5- A Boat, valued at 40 K
Day #6- A luxury Car, valued at at least 50K

At this part of the game, they buy the prize-but can walk at anytime.

Day #7- The contestant has the option of walking away with all the loot (at least 100K) or playing an additional puzzle (like in the last few years) for a cash jackpot starting at 100K and increasing 5K each day it is not won. (I think a 100K jackpot start is not a severe case of mo' money syndrome, but could you imagine a jackpot after a month? The pot would be big, but not oversized.) Sounds easy right? Wrong. These are going to be a little harder, making for a big risk. If the contestant loses, they lose all prizes, except any instant bargain/fame game wins and the $750 won.

Set: A cross between the latter-day aussie years, with some american flair. The contestant podiums would have glass block behind it, staying blue-tinted during the question round, green during the IB/FG parts, and Red during the Speed Round. Geographically, everything would be set up exactly as it was before in the 80s, but the center "pit" would have the logo on it-it would also have a rising podium to display prizes, opening very similar to the James Bond movies (twisting open). The doors would also be used for some prizes, but wouldn't open fully until the end of the game (when they split apart). In the $ale round, the only prize on screen would be-the car, and a gratuitous 100,000+ sign. The rest of the prizes would be on flat screen TV's and slide out on stage (like Name that Video) and would be purplely-blue when not won, and would turn red with a red "SOLD" sign on it.

Theme: I like the Aussie theme-it's a hair faster than ours.

Announcer: Burton Richardson

Host: I once heard John O'Hurley being tossed around. I think he'd do well.
insert signature here

gshowguy

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 09:59:45 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 08:16 AM\'] I posted my version ages ago, but after some encouragement from Chris Lemon, i have tweaked some things.

Here's how I'd do it:

Round 1: Questions worth $5 each
Instant Bargain
Round 2: Questions worth $5 each
Instant Bargain
Fame Game-played same as before, except it's back to faces. if the show were on a network, it would use the faces of stars from that network. If it were syndicated, it could be any stars.
Round 3: Questions worth $10 each
Instant Bargain
Fame Game
Speed Round: Questions worth $10 each.

All contestants recive their scores in cash and the prizes they won on stage.

The end Game: The $ale of the Century
Contestants win it all if they reach a score of $750. This makes it so that better players can win in shorter amounts of time. Here's the prize chart. As before, they "buy" these prizes at greatly reduced prices.

Day #1- A trip, valued at 7-9K
Day #2- 3 rooms of furniture, valued at 15K
Day #3- A $20,000 shopping Spree
Day #4- A Trip Around the World, valued at 30K or so
Day #5- A Boat, valued at 40 K
Day #6- A luxury Car, valued at at least 50K

At this part of the game, they buy the prize-but can walk at anytime.

Day #7- The contestant has the option of walking away with all the loot (at least 100K) or playing an additional puzzle (like in the last few years) for a cash jackpot starting at 100K and increasing 5K each day it is not won. (I think a 100K jackpot start is not a severe case of mo' money syndrome, but could you imagine a jackpot after a month? The pot would be big, but not oversized.) Sounds easy right? Wrong. These are going to be a little harder, making for a big risk. If the contestant loses, they lose all prizes, except any instant bargain/fame game wins and the $750 won.

Set: A cross between the latter-day aussie years, with some american flair. The contestant podiums would have glass block behind it, staying blue-tinted during the question round, green during the IB/FG parts, and Red during the Speed Round. Geographically, everything would be set up exactly as it was before in the 80s, but the center "pit" would have the logo on it-it would also have a rising podium to display prizes, opening very similar to the James Bond movies (twisting open). The doors would also be used for some prizes, but wouldn't open fully until the end of the game (when they split apart). In the $ale round, the only prize on screen would be-the car, and a gratuitous 100,000+ sign. The rest of the prizes would be on flat screen TV's and slide out on stage (like Name that Video) and would be purplely-blue when not won, and would turn red with a red "SOLD" sign on it.

Theme: I like the Aussie theme-it's a hair faster than ours.

Announcer: Burton Richardson

Host: I once heard John O'Hurley being tossed around. I think he'd do well. [/quote]
 Here's something to add in color blocks:

If a player wins "the lot" (as Tony Barber and Glenn Ridge called it on the Aussie version), balloons and confetti don't drop. Instead, the color glass blocks (which are dark blue in the "shopping" portion) rapidly morph colors from a VERY BRIGHT sky blue to a VERY BRIGHT pink, a la "Make the Grade" when someone won the "Honors Round" during Lew Schneider's later episodes, and the prize screens each reveal the number and dollar sign of the jackpot won, and the lights would chase very fast.

As for host, John O'Hurley's a fine choice to use if Jim Perry didn't return, but I think I would try a veteran of the game show element, like Peter Tomarken. As I said earlier, I also think one of the two hosts of the Aussie version could try to host "$ale" in the USA (remember when Anne Robinson was a big hit in the UK on "The Weakest Link" and later hosted an American version on NBC?), preferably Glenn Ridge (though Tony Barber is really good, too).

And announcer? Burton Richardson is a good choice. He seems to announce a lot of DisMantle's shows a lot (there's a reason why I used "DisMantle" instead of "Fremantle", hmm... I wonder why...?) I also think Charlie O'Donnell (or Pete Smith from the Aussie version) could work, as I said earlier.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 10:48:17 AM »
I would use that effect at the end of the game. Good idea tho.

And please...that DisMantle phrase is getting really old.
insert signature here

gshowguy

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 11:14:03 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 09:48 AM\'] I would use that effect at the end of the game. Good idea tho.

And please...that DisMantle phrase is getting really old. [/quote]
 OK. Would F-Mantle work? Or would you prefer DumbMantle?