Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 6 topics for discussion...  (Read 8165 times)

urbanpreppie05

6 topics for discussion...
« on: July 01, 2004, 09:36:32 AM »
Here are six questions for you to answer (I added an extra one because of the long weekend)

1. What did you like about LMAD 03'? IMHO, this version gets a lot of flack despite it's closeness to the original show (minus that 1 risque deal).

2. What's the worst prize you ever saw offered on shopping-era Wheel of Fortune?'
(I would say the $35,000 oriental rug, or the $40,000 shipboard party)

3. What game show, past or present, do you think is totally underrated?
(My decision is Karn Family Feud-granted it's not a good as it was before, but it's still an enjoyable way to spend a half-hour-but not "appointment televison," Mind you :-)

4. Not counting the proposed revival of Match Game, what show do you think is most likely for a revival?

5. What's your first memory of watching a game show?

6. And finally, do you like your state's (region) lottery show? Name your state, and your answer.
insert signature here

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 10:01:37 AM »
1. Didn't see LMAD '03. 2. Ceramic Dalmation. 3. "Personality." 4. TTTT 5. "On Your Mark" with Sonny Fox. 6. I'm from Michigan.  Our show went off, but throughout the years the title changed, but the format did not.  It was always, pick a space on the board and win what's behind it.  I liked the Illinois show until they started using that computer animation stuff.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

whewfan

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 10:05:38 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 08:36 AM\']

[/quote]
 What did you like about LMAD 03'? IMHO, this version gets a lot of flack despite it's closeness to the original show (minus that 1 risque deal).

The fact that Monty was not forgotten. I think there are still enough fans of the original LMAD that wouldn't accept a "Monty-less" LMAD. Monty was still very much part of the show, even though he only appeared in brief segments. They should've done that with LMAD 90.

What's the worst prize you ever saw offered on shopping-era Wheel of Fortune?'

I think the answer is obvious... ceramic dalmations! There was another prize offered on the Woolery run, an unusual painting. The contestant didn't want it, but bought it anyway, and Chuck said "You should've seen what we had last week... it was 17 lizards sucking on an orange"

. What game show, past or present, do you think is totally underrated?

Whew! was underrated. It was a clever, fast paced game, but it was watered down with the addition of celebrities. (Of course I am bias of that because I did my own version of Whew!)

Another show I felt deserved a longer run... Paranoia. It was live, and the format was a refreshing change considering all the "Millionaire" knockoffs that were airing.

Not counting the proposed revival of Match Game, what show do you think is most likely for a revival?

I'd love to see Password return. If I could pick a host, I think Pat Sajak would handle the show well. He's low key, and Password needs a low key personality. Ok, Bert Convy was no low key personality, but he had plenty of respect for the format. Another guy I can see doing the show is Ross Schaffer.

What's your first memory of watching a game show?

Probably my most vivid memories are of Price is Right and Match Game (I remember when a tennis machine went haywire on TPIR, and Bob kept picking up stray tennis balls, and that the clanging and whooping of the Double Showcase win bells scared me as a kid. With Match Game, I remembered the theme, the spinning box, and also when they screwed up the panel's faces for the ticket plugs), but I also vaguely remember Hollywood Squares, 20k Pyramid (the theme music especially), Card Sharks, Whew!, and I also remember when Gene Rayburn was Santa Claus on Garry Moore TTTT, Allen Ludden's entrance wearing Bowzer's jacket (I remember my mom laughing at that, especially since the jacket was way too small on him), and I remember Tom Kennedy replacing Allen Ludden.

We don't have a local lottery game show in MD. However, in the 70s they did have Dialing For Dollars, a sort of lottery game show hosted by the late Stu Kerr (as "Mr. Fortune"). They had a similar contest on WJZ where someone from the network would call numbers hoping they can repeat a certain phrase (and it was done live), but 90% of the time there was no answer (this was before the advent of answering machines) so it was just a waste of air time.

Don Howard

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 10:36:59 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 09:05 AM\'] The fact that Monty was not forgotten. I think there are still enough fans of the original LMAD that wouldn't accept a "Monty-less" LMAD. Monty was still very much part of the show, even though he only appeared in brief segments. They should've done that with LMAD 90.

[/quote]
 Monty hosted it for several months in 1990 (and a wee bit of 1991) after Bob Hilton got bounced. He was the "special guest host" but he was there and he hosted.

JayC

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 10:59:39 AM »
1. What did you like about LMAD 03'? IMHO, this version gets a lot of flack despite it's closeness to the original show (minus that 1 risque deal).

I think the modern feel made it interesting to watch, IMO.

2. What's the worst prize you ever saw offered on shopping-era Wheel of Fortune?'

The ceramic dalmation my Aunt won when she was on the show many many years ago.

The Louie Anderson version of Family Feud.  IMO, Louie actually made it interesting, and Karn is about as interesting as he was as Al on Home Improvement (aka, not interesting)

4. Not counting the proposed revival of Match Game, what show do you think is most likely for a revival?

Either American Gladiators or Password.

6. And finally, do you like your state's (region) lottery show? Name your state, and your answer.

New Jersey, but, does NJ have a lottery show?  If we do, I haven't seen it.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 11:11:56 AM »
>> 1. What did you like about LMAD 03'? IMHO, this version gets a lot of flack despite it's closeness to the original show (minus that 1 risque deal).
The fact Monty was still involved.

>> 2. What's the worst prize you ever saw offered on shopping-era Wheel of Fortune?'
Never seen it.

>> 3. What game show, past or present, do you think is totally underrated?
(My decision is Karn Family Feud-granted it's not a good as it was before, but it's still an enjoyable way to spend a half-hour-but not "appointment televison," Mind you :-)
First that came to my mind was "Wipeout". I only vaguely remember it from way back, but apparently, it was a fun little show.

>> 4. Not counting the proposed revival of Match Game, what show do you think is most likely for a revival?
Concentration.

>> 5. What's your first memory of watching a game show?
Probably TPIR.

Wisconsin used to have the Super Money Game show. Anyone who's seen it can probably tell you it sucked. And now that Powerball's getting the ax and WGN doesn't air the Illinois lottery show anymore [do they even have one down there anymore???], well....what can I say?
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 11:29:22 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 09:36 AM\'] 1. What did you like about LMAD 03'? IMHO, this version gets a lot of flack despite it's closeness to the original show (minus that 1 risque deal). [/quote]
 I thought Billy Bush did a good job... he wasn't Monty (who else is?), but IMO he was better and more comfortable in the role than Bob Hilton.

I must concur on the choice of the ceramic dalmatian!

The late-70s Cross-Wits... I loved the show, and watched it whenever I could during visits to my grandmother's house in Florida.  I don't remember ever seeing it at home, and am not sure it even aired in Rochester.  (Ian Wallis, where are you?)

Password... it's easy to understand, easy to implement, and has lots of potential for humor.

The Joker's Wild... I probably saw that more than "Sesame Street" when I was little.

Don't have one now, but I wasn't a big fan of New York Wired when it was still in production.  I did enjoy Cash Explosion Double Play when I was a student in Cleveland, though.

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 12:23:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 10:11 AM\'] 6. And finally, do you like your state's (region) lottery show? Name your state, and your answer.
Wisconsin used to have the Super Money Game show. Anyone who's seen it can probably tell you it sucked. And now that Powerball's getting the ax and WGN doesn't air the Illinois lottery show anymore [do they even have one down there anymore???], well....what can I say? [/quote]
 "Illinois' Luckiest" went off the air a few years ago.  We're a MegaMillions state.

WJYS, a tiny religion/infomercial station in south suburban Tinley Park near the Illinois/Indiana border, airs "Hoosier Millionaire," but I haven't watched it in years--and with Mark Patrick and Barbara Hobbes gone, I probably won't (and those types of shows have to work better with personable hosts).  WJYS doesn't carry the Powerball show, AFAIK.

"LMAD '03" had the misfortune to be up against the "Idol" buzzsaw.  Some minor objections, but Billy isn't Monty--as if I would expect anyone else to be.

My choice for underrated is another Jay Wolpert obscurity, "Rodeo Drive," which aired on Lifetime in 1990 after "Supermarket Sweep."  Derivative elements, yes, and Louise DuArt was a raw host, but one of the more fun-to-watch entertainment/gossip-oriented games, with typical Wolpert good humor, not to mention a great theme song with a full orchestra.  Why it bombed and its replacement, "STYD," became successful in cable terms is still beyond me.

sshuffield70

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 12:28:38 PM »
Well, at least Louise DuArt is employed somewhere.  She's now a co-host of "Living The Life" on FAM.

One of my record albums (yes, kids, we're talking delicious vinyl) is from a comedic group called Isaac Air Freight from 1984.  Louise was a member of the group for that album.  Their calling card was a routine named "Leave It To Squirrely".

whampyl03

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 01:14:46 PM »

Despite the 'grabby-grabby' initial game, and some slightly odd camera work, I thought the show was excellent.  

Call me clinically insane, but I thought Paranoia was greatly underrated.  That, and the short-lived Winning Lines.

Hmm... Perhaps The Newlywed Game?

Nick Double Dare in '89 got me very hooked to the genre.

No state lottery down here in Alaska, so no answer.

rmfromfla

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 01:55:31 PM »
1.  Bringing back Monty Hall and showing some of his old clips.

2.  Was in school, so couldn't watch much...

3.  The Challengers:  it had a nice, solid pace and not the glitz like one of
         its competitors,  Trump Card

4.  Concentration?  Also, this would be a very long shot, but why not
        MoneyMaze since the Clooneys are in the news these days
        (would this violate the equal air time rule for candidates?)

5.  Probably watching Password the day JFK was shot...

6.  Flamingo Fortune died here about 5-6 years ago, hosted first by
        Michael "Kids are People Too" Young

gsnstooge

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 02:52:44 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 11:28 AM\'] Well, at least Louise DuArt is employed somewhere.  She's now a co-host of "Living The Life" on FAM.

One of my record albums (yes, kids, we're talking delicious vinyl) is from a comedic group called Isaac Air Freight from 1984.  Louise was a member of the group for that album.  Their calling card was a routine named "Leave It To Squirrely". [/quote]
 Louise DuArt was also on Star Search during the 84-85 season but was beaten by Sinbad in her first week of competition.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 03:01:31 PM »
Louise will always be "Nashville" of "Kaptain Kool and the Kongs" to me.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 03:28:50 PM »
1. It tried to be as similar to 70s LMAD as it could (except for a few shenanigans).
2. The Log Cabin Prize.
3. The Big Showdown.
4. Password.
5. Watching WOF as a baby back in 1990.
6. My state doesen't have a lottery show.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 03:38:57 PM »
1. Didn't see it...college has left my TV viewing options limited. :-)

2. Haven't really seen too much shopping-era Wheel, at least not enough to remember any tacky prizes.

3. Russian Roulette...although I'm surprised some ultra-PC anti-gun rights group (the type of people who blame Columbine on current music trends) hasn't complained about the name

4. Name That Tune or Password, since they've been the ones brought up in recent years

5. The Joker's Wild and Lange Name That Tune...the neon joker and Tune Topics board were captivating as a 2-year-old

6. Virginia...we don't have one
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!