Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A cartoon.  (Read 2099 times)

DrBear

A cartoon.
« on: June 30, 2004, 05:42:55 PM »
Well, actually it's from The New Yorker.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

rigsby

A cartoon.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 05:46:32 PM »
I like the fact that they feel they have to explain the cartoon.

inturnaround

A cartoon.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 06:07:10 PM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 05:46 PM\'] I like the fact that they feel they have to explain the cartoon. [/quote]
 I think they do that for all the cartoons, probably for the vision impaired.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

TalkingHeadsFan

A cartoon.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 06:46:01 PM »
If you were vision impaired, wouldn't it be easier to see the cartoon itself rather than the explanation?

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
A cartoon.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 06:54:53 PM »
If you were vision impaired, wouldn't it be easier to see the cartoon itself rather than the explanation?
Isn't that why they do closed captioning for TV shows... for blind people??

I'll be over here if you need me...
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

inturnaround

A cartoon.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 06:58:26 PM »
[quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 06:46 PM\'] If you were vision impaired, wouldn't it be easier to see the cartoon itself rather than the explanation? [/quote]
 It's easier to enlarge text than a picture on a computer. Also, those who are completely blind can use a device which will output braille so they may read it. This kind of adaptive tech isn't cheap, but it's worth it for the independence it offers to the blind and visually impaired.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

leszekp

A cartoon.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 08:14:11 PM »
I have to believe the more likely explanation is that they're describing it so that people can find it later on using keywords.

Fedya

A cartoon.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 10:47:04 PM »
I'm more irritated that the page told me that Opera v 7.5 isn't a recent enough browser and that I need v 4.0 or more recent of IE or Netscape.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

ITSBRY

A cartoon.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 12:33:31 AM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 04:46 PM\'] I like the fact that they feel they have to explain the cartoon. [/quote]
 Seinfeld fans know why... :-)

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

Craig Karlberg

A cartoon.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 04:57:41 AM »
OK, having people make fun of me just because I'm blind is one thing but to make a nockery of my visual handicapp is just pushing it.  Eaay on that please.

Back on track.  I swear that TV was showing a game of Jeopardy! on there.  I wonder if the cartoonist created a likeness of Ken.  It sure looked like him in that picture upon closer inspection of it.  Hmmmm.

tvwxman

A cartoon.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 07:46:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 03:57 AM\'] OK, having people make fun of me just because I'm blind is one thing but to make a nockery of my visual handicapp is just pushing it.  Eaay on that please.
 [/quote]
 Re-reading the last posts, Who the heck made fun of you?

The answer : Nobody.

GEEZ!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

inturnaround

A cartoon.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 03:11:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 04:57 AM\'] OK, having people make fun of me just because I'm blind is one thing but to make a nockery of my visual handicapp is just pushing it.  Eaay on that please.
 [/quote]
 Yeah, seriously, no one was making fun of the blind in general or you in particular. We were merely having a discussion as to the reason why the New Yorker decided to describe the cartoon in the sub-caption. That sorta branched off into a post or two about adaptive tech for the visually impaired.

Leszek is almost certainly right with his reasoning. It probably was done to make it searchable by keyword. The bonus for it is the one that I stated.

But seriously, dude, you're creating an offense from nothing.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
A cartoon.
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 04:31:01 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 12:11 PM\'] But seriously, dude, you're creating an offense from nothing. [/quote]
 Particularly if you're going to compare the likenesses of the cartoon's subject and Ken Jennings in the very next line following your indignancy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe