Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Comedy Central.....  (Read 2111 times)

weaklink75

Comedy Central.....
« on: June 28, 2004, 11:54:50 PM »
From  this article:

here's the relevant part:

"Also outside of primetime, exec is eager to test drive a couple of series in the old "Win Ben Stein's Money" 7 p.m. prime access slot --- a period that he and Corrao agree is an untapped resource of eyeballs. Up first will be "Crossballs," a debate show satire, and later a five-a-weeker gameshow from "American Idol" producer FremantleMedia called "Distraction."

I think this is based on a UK concept where contestants have to answer questions while things are being done to them or around them...any of our UK friends want to expand on it?

BrandonFG

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 02:01:45 AM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' date=\'Jun 28 2004, 10:54 PM\'] and later a five-a-weeker gameshow from "American Idol" producer FremantleMedia called "Distraction."

I think this is based on a UK concept where contestants have to answer questions while things are being done to them or around them...any of our UK friends want to expand on it? [/quote]
 Hmmm...sounds like the Chair or Chamber (shudder). Hopefully it'll be minus the torture. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 02:50:08 AM »
I hope it's like Millionaire, but there would be a crowd around the constestant chanting "Miss it...miss it" or waving their hands around the player and saying "I'm not touching you..not touching."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Comedy Central.....
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 02:54:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 28 2004, 11:50 PM\'] I hope it's like Millionaire, but there would be a crowd around the constestant chanting "Miss it...miss it" or waving their hands around the player and saying "I'm not touching you..not touching." [/quote]
Why do you wish for a show like this?

"Crossballs," a debate show satire
Hey, maybe Al Franken WILL have a job when Air America folds.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 02:57:09 AM by chris319 »

cyberjoek

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 03:51:43 AM »
Another point of view about Cross-balls:
Link

-Joe Kavanagh
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 03:52:00 AM by cyberjoek »

uncamark

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 12:50:02 PM »
Here's Channel 4's page on "Distraction."  Not much, but there is a Flash version of the game for you to play.

And just what it is with the far left that they have to emphasize the parent company over the network airing it (that "Crossballs" link above)?  Granted, the guy didn't say "Comedy Central" (probably because that would be a dead giveaway without saying "The Daily Show" or "Jon Stewart" along with it), but does this person think that Sumner Redstone personally approved her going on to the show, screaming, "We'll make those liberals suffer!"?

Jimmy Owen

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 12:54:11 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 01:54 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 28 2004, 11:50 PM\'] I hope it's like Millionaire, but there would be a crowd around the constestant chanting "Miss it...miss it" or waving their hands around the player and saying "I'm not touching you..not touching." [/quote]
Why do you wish for a show like this?

[/quote]
 The dawning of a new day has brought the realization that I really don't wish for such a show to come to fruition.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

inturnaround

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 06:09:08 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 12:50 PM\'] And just what it is with the far left that they have to emphasize the parent company over the network airing it (that "Crossballs" link above)?  Granted, the guy didn't say "Comedy Central" (probably because that would be a dead giveaway without saying "The Daily Show" or "Jon Stewart" along with it), but does this person think that Sumner Redstone personally approved her going on to the show, screaming, "We'll make those liberals suffer!"? [/quote]
 I don't think it's a far left thing at all in the case. The booker for Crossballs refused to say on which channel it would appear, merely saying it would be in a Viacom cable network. This could have been anything from Nickelodeon (unlikely) to SpikeTV.

So, I think the attack is valid here against Viacom. They allowed an employee to paint their company that way and Viacom should take the heat here.

Also, how was she supposed to "assume" it was Comedy Centrall? It's been established in many interviews with "The Daily Show" talent that they never misidentify their show or claim that  their interview is anything other than what it is. Fortunately for them, there are still people out there who haven't heard of the show. (But since the majority of their interviewees do, it still can make for a good segment)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

dickoon

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 08:14:31 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 07:01 AM\'] Hmmm...sounds like the Chair or Chamber (shudder). Hopefully it'll be minus the torture. ;-) [/quote]
 File this under game shows I refuse to watch, so this is from hearsay, but hearsay I trust:

The premise is not far from that of The Chamber played for laughs (answer relatively simple questions under physical duress or discomfort) though the British format was a standard elimination quiz rather than player-versus-house. Now your definition of torture may vary from mine, but there have been some humiliation-based distractions and some pain-based distractions on the British show. It seems likely to me that in a 7pm time slot there would be more (or all) humiliation-based distractions and few (or no) pain-based distractions. Not the sort of thing that the US normally go for - for instance, you cancelled The Chamber after three episodes, and The Weakest Link waned quickly despite its strong start - but it's got to have a chance depending upon how they interpret the format.

I don't like talking about it, even to say why I don't like it; it represents a development in game shows I dislike. See Weaver's Week passim if you must know more.

Grimly,
Chris

tvwxman

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 08:52:41 PM »
[quote name=\'dickoon\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 07:14 PM\']
I don't like talking about it, even to say why I don't like it; it represents a development in game shows I dislike. See Weaver's Week passim if you must know more.

[/quote]
 I remember reading WWeek a few months ago when this show was introduced....I said to myself : "Self! (thats for you Emeril fans) I hope this doesn't cross the pond. It cannot be a show that speaks well for game shows, if we have to torture people for entertainment"

Cut to present day....I'm with Dickoon....Based on the description of the show, I bow my head in disgust, and hope that this show is a flash in the pan here...

However, I must ask. Is the host THAT popular in England? a quick google of him shows lots of stories on him, many of which have positive reviews of his comedy...

And, an even bigger query : Is the show THATt popular in England? Cause if it's getting a second season pick up...people must be likin' what they see....

Matt (who's DAMN relieved "Beat the Crusher" never made it to the states!)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 03:02:18 AM »
[quote name=\'dickoon\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 07:14 PM\'] The premise is not far from that of The Chamber played for laughs (answer relatively simple questions under physical duress or discomfort) though the British format was a standard elimination quiz rather than player-versus-house. Now your definition of torture may vary from mine, but there have been some humiliation-based distractions and some pain-based distractions on the British show. It seems likely to me that in a 7pm time slot there would be more (or all) humiliation-based distractions and few (or no) pain-based distractions. Not the sort of thing that the US normally go for - for instance, you cancelled The Chamber after three episodes, and The Weakest Link waned quickly despite its strong start - but it's got to have a chance depending upon how they interpret the format.

Grimly,
Chris [/quote]
 Torture might be the wrong word. Our version of the Chamber did stuff like turn the contestants upside down, and make the isolation booth temperatures subzero or extremely hot (100 degrees+ IIRC). I think I read that had the show not been cancelled, they would've put bugs on the contestants.

As for the Chair, some of the distractions were interesting, like a ring of flames shooting from the floor, and a live alligator being lowered from the ceiling.

It's interesting you mentioned the fact that it's a 7 pm show. Being it's Comedy Central, I'm sure it'll be silly distractions...the first thing that comes to mind would be the staring contests that Andy Richter would have with Conan, and they always brought in something to distract Andy.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Craig Karlberg

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 05:08:54 AM »
Man, what Comedy Central will do just to get a show on the air.  I played the flash version of Distractions & some of them are VERY easy(the word colour bit & the animal sounds one) & others are IMPOSSIBLE(how do you beat theat Desk Top one?).  Anyways, I think our version will have some rather beniegn distractions.

uncamark

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 04:17:10 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 05:09 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 12:50 PM\'] And just what it is with the far left that they have to emphasize the parent company over the network airing it (that "Crossballs" link above)?  Granted, the guy didn't say "Comedy Central" (probably because that would be a dead giveaway without saying "The Daily Show" or "Jon Stewart" along with it), but does this person think that Sumner Redstone personally approved her going on to the show, screaming, "We'll make those liberals suffer!"? [/quote]
I don't think it's a far left thing at all in the case. The booker for Crossballs refused to say on which channel it would appear, merely saying it would be in a Viacom cable network. This could have been anything from Nickelodeon (unlikely) to SpikeTV.

So, I think the attack is valid here against Viacom. They allowed an employee to paint their company that way and Viacom should take the heat here.[/quote]
But he suposedly said "MTV Networks," not "Viacom."  Not all of Viacom's cable networks are MTV Networks--the Showtime Networks unit and BET are separate.  Yes, Viacom's the parent company, but MTV Networks has nothing to do with the other cable units.

Once again, I assume he didn't identify the actual network to try to cover the intent, since if I was in her position and I heard someone say that Comedy Central was interested in doing an interview and it wasn't "The Daily Show," I'd think of "The Man Show" or "Crank Yankers" (and yes, I know that they get releases after the calls are made on that show before they go on the air) and would be understandably wary of wanting to come on.  Which it seems that she did have some justification.

Also, it seems to me that "TDS" would not pull an ambush on someone like her when it comes to the topic of spam--that they'd be more likely to put on a spammer and make him look stupid--which probably wouldn't take much.

inturnaround

Comedy Central.....
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 04:36:32 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 04:17 PM\'] Also, it seems to me that "TDS" would not pull an ambush on someone like her when it comes to the topic of spam--that they'd be more likely to put on a spammer and make him look stupid--which probably wouldn't take much. [/quote]
 They already did.

ObGameShow: Let's Bowl was underappreciated.
Joe Coughlin     
Human