Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy rumours  (Read 10918 times)

Don Howard

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004, 09:56:16 PM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:25 PM\'] According to a rumour I read about at one of the other boards I heard that after Ken Jennings is finally defeated, the five-day limit that was previously around will be re-instated.

Is this true? Or is this gossip?

[/quote]
With all the buzz being generated now about the winning streak even outside our friendly circle, I'd wager the gang at Sony knows this "play until you drop" rule is a keeper.
And, of course, the point may be moot because I'm beginning to think that Ken is never going to lose.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 09:57:33 PM by Don Howard »

dzinkin

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 09:59:06 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 07:22 PM\'] When we speak of "we" , Zach, often we are not including "you".

When "we" are suggesting you get out more, "You" are not part of us. [/quote]
 If only Randy Amasia were still with us... he had a favorite Peter Gabriel song that comes to mind right about now as I'm reading Matt's words. :-)

digiblader

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004, 10:07:51 PM »
Look, I'm not sure if this was speculation, but I thought it was a rumour when I read this message at this link:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=jeopardy~...cast.com&rnum=1

Was this just opinion or was this poster of this message on this group here possibly giving a possible truth?

I'm sorry if I tried to spread rumours. I promise I won't do it again. I'll be more careful in the future

Jimmy Owen

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004, 10:38:24 PM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:41 PM\'] Well, eventually the viewers are gonna get tired of him and the contestants, especially, are likely to get annoyed that they worked so hard, yet they only get $1000 or $2000 because Ken keeps beating them.

I do wish Jeopardy would find someone that can beat Ken Jennings.. instead of all these players who get clobbered by him.

I mean, someone's gotta be better than him at some subject on the show.

Look what happened to Thom McKee on Tic Tac Dough in his 43(or was it 44th) match when he tripped up on a question on Asia(I think, I'll have to double-check.), causing him to finally be defeated.

I'm not trying to be negative, but eventually someone's going to be better than Ken Jennings on J!. [/quote]
 Is Herb Stempel still alive?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

inturnaround

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 10:46:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 09:51 PM\'] http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=442
I'm no moderator, but maybe this will help. [/quote]
He wasn't presenting it as fact. There was no doubt that he was seeking our learned guidance and opinion on the matter.

I'd say "let the moderators moderate and if you have a problem, just hit the report button", but then I'd be violating my own advice, wouldn't I?

This is a whole lot different than "My Air Hockey Pal said that Bob Barker murders puppies in his guest house in sacrifice to Ba'al; what do you guys think?"

Again, just IMO.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 10:46:39 PM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 12:11:44 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 09:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 09:51 PM\'] http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=442
I'm no moderator, but maybe this will help. [/quote]
He wasn't presenting it as fact. There was no doubt that he was seeking our learned guidance and opinion on the matter.

I'd say "let the moderators moderate and if you have a problem, just hit the report button", but then I'd be violating my own advice, wouldn't I?

This is a whole lot different than "My Air Hockey Pal said that Bob Barker murders puppies in his guest house in sacrifice to Ba'al; what do you guys think?"

Again, just IMO. [/quote]
 M'bad.  I didn't read the post in its entirety.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2004, 02:58:40 AM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 08:56 PM\']After double-checking, it turns out Candice Bergen, in the category "Women In Film", did cause Thom McKee's defeat on TTD.

Sorry for the error.[/quote]
It's OK...we all make mistakes, just expect Zach to give you hell for it. :-)

BTW, how much would Thom McKee's $312,700 on TTD be in current dollars??
Just under $750,000, but that would be in 2002 dollars.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation

Fun little site.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Fedya

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2004, 10:42:37 AM »
Digibladder wrote:
Anyway, at the rate of $34,000 per show(which is Ken Jenning's current average, if Ken lasts on Jeopardy! as long as Thom Mckee on TTD(45 shows), he will have a total of...

$1,530,000!!!

Boy, those people at Sony would be in a tizzy if that occurs, and I don't know if Alex Trebek will be able to handle it.

Why should the Sony folks be in a tizzy about it?  I should think it makes no difference to Sony if one person wins $34K a day for 45 days, or if 45 different people each win $34K for one day.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

GS Warehouse

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2004, 10:50:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 10:42 AM\'] Digibladder wrote:
Anyway, at the rate of $34,000 per show(which is Ken Jenning's current average, if Ken lasts on Jeopardy! as long as Thom Mckee on TTD(45 shows), he will have a total of...

$1,530,000!!!

Boy, those people at Sony would be in a tizzy if that occurs, and I don't know if Alex Trebek will be able to handle it.

Why should the Sony folks be in a tizzy about it?  I should think it makes no difference to Sony if one person wins $34K a day for 45 days, or if 45 different people each win $34K for one day. [/quote]
 I think the government would prefer that one person winning "$34K a day for 45 days", because one person winning $1.53 million would be in a much higher tax bracket than any one of 45 different $34,000 winners.

mmb5

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2004, 12:53:53 PM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:41 PM\'] I do wish Jeopardy would find someone that can beat Ken Jennings.. instead of all these players who get clobbered by him.

I mean, someone's gotta be better than him at some subject on the show.

I'm not trying to be negative, but eventually someone's going to be better than Ken Jennings on J!. [/quote]
 I do have some knowledge of what Ken knows, since I do edit some of the questions that he writes that make their way on to Quizbusters as well as some other high-school shows throught the country.  There may be a category here and there that he can be beat, but you're going to be hard pressed to find twelve to fit in one show.  He has the killer combination, a science major whose first love is literature who has done a lot of travelling and has a deep appreciation (and knowledge) for pop culture.

Something I've been wondering, however, is that when Ken finally does lose, doesn't the person who defeat him also live by the same rule?  Or, can they legally say, we're going to back some arbitrary limit, but Ken is grandfathered?

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2004, 01:10:02 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 09:53 AM\'] Something I've been wondering, however, is that when Ken finally does lose, doesn't the person who defeat him also live by the same rule?  Or, can they legally say, we're going to back some arbitrary limit, but Ken is grandfathered?
 [/quote]
 I imagine, within reason, they can do whatever the hell they want. It's their show. Ultimately the only people they have to answer to are the viewers.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2004, 01:38:40 PM »
Yeah, well I heard that they are going to give Ken Jennings a leather chair to sit down on while questioning answers. (Provided by Jennifer Convertibles, of course)

And they're going to rename the show next week as: "The Get Your Ass Whooped By Ken Jennings Show"

And contestants are required to bow down before him and say "YOU DA MAN !" to him while kissings his shoes

Alex Trebek agrees to grow back his mustache if Ken Jennings wins 50 games or $1,000,000. Which ever comes first

Please, stop posting rumors ! If Lifetime ever mounted a revival of "Rodeo Drive", some of you would make great contestants !

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 01:40:28 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

aaron sica

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2004, 01:43:30 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 01:38 PM\'] Yeah, well I heard that they are going to give Ken Jennings a leather chair to sit down on while questioning answers. (Provided by Jennifer Convertibles, of course)

And they're going to rename the show next week as: "The Get Your Ass Whooped By Ken Jennings Show"

And contestants are required to bow down before him and say "YOU DA MAN !" to him while kissings his shoes

Alex Trebek agrees to grow back his mustache if Ken Jennings wins 50 games or $1,000,000. Which ever comes first

Please, stop posting rumors ! If Lifetime ever mounted a revival of "Rodeo Drive", some of you would make great contestants !

-Joe R. [/quote]
 You forgot one of the other new things...

When one of the other contestants buzzes in and they're wrong, Alex shouts "YOU FOOL!!!" at them.

Jumpondees

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2004, 04:54:27 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 12:43 PM\'] You forgot one of the other new things...

When one of the other contestants buzzes in and they're wrong, Alex shouts "YOU FOOL!!!" at them. [/quote]
Now THAT is the funniest thing I have read all day!!!

Seriously...I think Ken on his streak is a good thing...I watch J! regulary, sometimes I'll miss a show or two for various reasons (Yeah, I know, shame on me! :-p ) ...but with this current streak going, it has become "appointment television" for me...I want to tune in and see if he can get another game under his belt, and how much will he add to his totals.  I am compelled to watch this run.  

I bet you right now, that if not for this run, J! would be into summer repeats by now.  I just can't imagine having this guy win 10+ games and suddenly putting him on ice for two months, although it would be interesting to see if Ken could still hold his magic touch after a summer hiatus.

All in all...guaranteed...Ken Jennings will be the #1 contender for the next ToC, should one ever be produced.  That is of course, unless the producers just see fit to cancel the damn thing and just give Ken the winner's share of the ToC money since they know that none of the contestants who have "qualified" for the next ToC won't be any competition for him !
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 04:56:21 PM by Jumpondees »

BrandonFG

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2004, 05:34:20 PM »
Imagine if J! still gave away cars for every five games. Of course, it would be on a much smaller scale with the unlimited wins (the Chevrolets offered were at least $30K, and the Jag was, what...$50/60,000?), but still, maybe something like a Chevy Cavalier or so...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!