Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel/J question  (Read 3901 times)

adamjk

Wheel/J question
« on: June 06, 2004, 05:56:41 PM »
I am just wondering, back in 94, when the OJ Simpson trial happened, were Wheel and Jeopardy affected at all? Also, was Price is Right affected? By affected I mean that shows that were supposed to air did not.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 05:57:14 PM by adamjk »

BrandonFG

Wheel/J question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 06:22:12 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 04:56 PM\'] I am just wondering, back in 94, when the OJ Simpson trial happened, were Wheel and Jeopardy affected at all? Also, was Price is Right affected? By affected I mean that shows that were supposed to air did not. [/quote]
 If anything, I think Feud 94 was hit the hardest. I remember reading the numbers were still pretty decent, but the OJ trial pre-empted it in most markets.

IIRC, the trial events usually ended for the day, by the time Wheel/J! aired in most markets, since the two shows air in prime access in most of the country. Matter of fact, I think the only show that would've possibly been affected was Feud, since it was the only show that could air at any point of the day:

Price: daytime version was airing, so syndie TPiR had to air in late afternoon/evenings/late nights

Wheel/J!: prime access in most of country
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvwxman

Wheel/J question
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 06:39:30 PM »
Not much , if anything was affected...the trial ran on news cable stations and court tv...and i believe some stations in LA ran extra newscasts (KCAL i think)....CBS price was fine...

It did affect the syndie landscape in the long run...the following season was littered with court shows....

Matt
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvrandywest

Wheel/J question
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 06:49:28 PM »
My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. But I could be wrong about that. It might actually have been my chess chum or pool pal.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 07:11:27 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Steve Gavazzi

Wheel/J question
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 06:52:31 PM »
I seem to remember my grandmother complaining quite a bit that her soaps weren't on.

Price, I would guess, was fine, at least on the East Coast -- if it were pre-empted, the trial proceedings would have had to have started before 8:00 in the morning, which seems sort of unlikely.

MikeK

• Martha!
Wheel/J question
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 06:54:44 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 06:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. [/quote]
 It must've been during Getaway Week on Wheel.

BrandonFG

Wheel/J question
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 07:02:41 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 05:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 06:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. [/quote]
It must've been during Getaway Week on Wheel. [/quote]
 I seem to remember one of the prizes on the wheel was a set of knives.

I'll be in the TTD90 room.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

adamjk

Wheel/J question
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 08:50:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 05:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. But I could be wrong about that. It might actually have been my chess chum or pool pal.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 Very funny Randy lol

tvwxman

Wheel/J question
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 08:54:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 05:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. But I could be wrong about that. It might actually have been my chess chum or pool pal.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 This was Wipeout Week , IIRC.

Or maybe I don't.

Matt
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Steve Gavazzi

Wheel/J question
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 12:23:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 08:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 05:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. But I could be wrong about that. It might actually have been my chess chum or pool pal.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
This was Wipeout Week , IIRC.

Or maybe I don't.

Matt [/quote]
 Must have happened during the Mystery Round.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Wheel/J question
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 12:24:36 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 07:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 05:49 PM\'] My backgammon buddy thinks he remembers the slow speed chase of the White Bronco driven by Al Cowlings being projected on the giant screen behind the WOF contestants. But I could be wrong about that. It might actually have been my chess chum or pool pal.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
Very funny Randy lol [/quote]
 Too bad that you completely missed the joke.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

adamjk

Wheel/J question
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 03:35:55 PM »
No I didn't.

Steve Gavazzi

Wheel/J question
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 06:05:50 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 03:35 PM\'] No I didn't. [/quote]
Yes, you did.  If you'd understood it, you wouldn't have laughed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 06:06:15 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

adamjk

Wheel/J question
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 06:11:33 PM »
What's wrong with laughing? Randy was just kidding with me. I don't mind being the butt of a joke sometimes. Just as long as it is not intended to hurt me. This was just a harmless little joke. Didn't bother me one bit.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 06:13:46 PM by adamjk »

Kevin Prather

Wheel/J question
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 06:19:54 PM »
If anything, adam should be honored that he had the privelage to be zinged by a TV great.

Hey! I just had an idea! One of these days, we should all meet up in a chat room and have a Dean Martin (Wo)Man of the Hour Roast. I think Chris Lemon, Randy, and a few others here could excel at that.