Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Museum of Television & Radio  (Read 4301 times)

Pyramid80

Museum of Television & Radio
« on: May 11, 2004, 09:32:56 AM »
I was curious if anyone has ever been to The Museum of Television & Radio?  I was curious as to how many game shows that they have in their collection.  Also, are the archives at UCLA only available to UCLA Students?  I know that UCLA has a lot of game show pilots and aired shows in their vaults.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thank you!

dzinkin

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 10:03:23 AM »
The MT&R has plenty of game shows... I couldn't possibly give an exact number, but off the top of my head I know they have the following:

- Wheel of Fortune w/Chuck Woolery (several episodes)
 - The Moneymaze (one episode)
 - Hollywood Squares (several Marshall eps, including one hour-long special)
 - Tic Tac Dough ('50s pilot and several '70s episodes)
 - The Neighbors (w/Regis Philbin)
 - TPIR (some Cullen eps and some Barker eps)
 - Password (several '60s episodes)
 - High Rollers (two '75 eps)
 - Jeopardy! (several Fleming shows including a '64 "test" episode)
 - Match Game (a '60s color episode, the pilot, and at least one '80s syndie ep)
 - Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour (one ep)
 - $20,000 Pyramid (one ep)
 - Nothing But the Truth (pilot for To Tell The Truth)

I know I'm leaving out some... Jason Hernandez used to have a page with a more detailed list, but I don't know if it's still around.  A few of the episodes in the MT&R's collection (most notably the color Eye Guess episode and the 2000th Fleming J!) have been shown on GSN, but the vast majority haven't.  Not all episodes are available at both branches -- some of them are in the main collection, some are in the archives, and some have to be requested from the archives and transferred (a process that usually takes a week or so) before they can be viewed.

The UCLA archives aren't available to the general public, and IIRC, you can't necessarily just walk in and watch what you want even if you're a student; there are rules as to what you can see because not everything is in a readily accessible format.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 10:16:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'May 11 2004, 09:32 AM\'] Also, are the archives at UCLA only available to UCLA Students?  I know that UCLA has a lot of game show pilots and aired shows in their vaults.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thank you! [/quote]
 Several of us have accesed the UCLA archives, they are not limited to UCLA students.  But as David says, you can't just go in, sit down and watch a tape.  You need to plan ahead and make arrangements in advance.

Contact UCLA with a list of programs you want to see, and the date you want to visit.  It usually takes them a week to make sure they have all the shows you want, so plan ahead at least that far.  If you tell them you're a researcher, they'll usually take you at your word.  Once you've done all that in advance, THEN it's just as easy as going in, sitting down and watching a tape.

I saw a half-dozen rare Bill Cullen videos when I visited a couple years ago.  Mike Burger watched many pilots for his Game Show Pilot Light page.  I'm sure others here have visited as well.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rigsby

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 11 2004, 09:03 AM\'] Jason Hernandez used to have a page with a more detailed list, but I don't know if it's still around. [/quote]
 I was just looking at that page yesterday, in fact:

http://members.fortunecity.com/jd83/mtr.html

Pyramid80

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 03:10:13 PM »
Thanks guys for the information!  I will give it a try when I go to LA in September.  It is amazing the distances that we will travel just to see a game show!  But I think it is well worth it!

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 03:50:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'May 11 2004, 02:10 PM\'] Thanks guys for the information!  I will give it a try when I go to LA in September.  It is amazing the distances that we will travel just to see a game show!  But I think it is well worth it! [/quote]
 Two things to remember about the Museum (at least the NYC branch):

-$10 admission (worth paying for)
-Closed on Mondays
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 05:03:26 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 11 2004, 03:50 PM\'] Two things to remember about the Museum (at least the NYC branch):

-Closed on Mondays [/quote]
 The last time I visited the one in LA, the admission charge was a "suggested donation", so they'll let you in if you plea poverty.  (I'm not saying that's what I did, mind you...)

The last time I was in New York, I had one day to visit the Museum....and I picked a Monday.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 07:01:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 11 2004, 05:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 11 2004, 03:50 PM\'] Two things to remember about the Museum (at least the NYC branch):

The last time I visited the one in LA, the admission charge was a "suggested donation", so they'll let you in if you plea poverty.  (I'm not saying that's what I did, mind you...)
 [/quote]
 Moreover, the suggested donation is even less if you're a student, as some of us still are. :-)

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 07:08:20 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 11 2004, 06:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 11 2004, 05:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 11 2004, 03:50 PM\'] Two things to remember about the Museum (at least the NYC branch):

[/quote]
Moreover, the suggested donation is even less if you're a student, as some of us still are. :-) [/quote]
 Ohhh, is that sooooooooo? (narrows eyes) :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

mmb5

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 07:09:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 11 2004, 04:03 PM\'] The last time I visited the one in LA, the admission charge was a "suggested donation", so they'll let you in if you plea poverty.  (I'm not saying that's what I did, mind you...)

The last time I was in New York, I had one day to visit the Museum....and I picked a Monday. [/quote]
 I asked a staffer when I was in L.A. in 2003 on that, and the answer was if they charged a flat admission they would have to pay residuals on anything you watched.  By technically not charging, they're not on the hook.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

dzinkin

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 07:13:59 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 11 2004, 07:08 PM\']
Moreover, the suggested donation is even less if you're a student, as some of us still are. :-)
Ohhh, is that sooooooooo? (narrows eyes) :-) [/quote]
 Believe it or not, I still am... one more course and a thesis to go. :-)

The suggested contribution for students is $8 instead of $10.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 07:16:30 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 11 2004, 06:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 11 2004, 07:08 PM\']
Ohhh, is that sooooooooo? (narrows eyes) :-) [/quote]
Believe it or not, I still am... one more course and a thesis to go. :-)

The suggested contribution for students is $8 instead of $10. [/quote]
 Good luck to you...I'm looking at two semesters myself, and with the discount for students, I must make my way back to NYC...the $2 can get me an extra subway ride. :-)

That Don Guy

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 09:53:19 PM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'May 11 2004, 09:26 AM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 11 2004, 09:03 AM\'] Jason Hernandez used to have a page with a more detailed list, but I don't know if it's still around. [/quote]

http://members.fortunecity.com/jd83/mtr.html[/quote]
I was at the one in New York last summer, and saw four shows, two (maybe three) mentioned on that site: the first day of the WoF tournament (it included who I think was the hour version's biggest winner) and a '50s Name That Tune (not the John Glenn one).  The one that "might" be on the list is a Gambit, but I thought the copyright date on it was 1976 and the site says 1975.

The other show was a G.E. College Bowl episode (Temple against California-Santa Barbara, 9/22/63; it may have been NBC's first episode, according to EoTVGS, although they never mention this on the show; also, it used a different opening theme than the "traditional" one, which they did use for the closing theme).

-- Don

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 09:59:46 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'May 11 2004, 08:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'May 11 2004, 09:26 AM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 11 2004, 09:03 AM\'] Jason Hernandez used to have a page with a more detailed list, but I don't know if it's still around. [/quote]

http://members.fortunecity.com/jd83/mtr.html[/quote]
I was at the one in New York last summer, and saw four shows, two (maybe three) mentioned on that site: the first day of the WoF tournament (it included who I think was the hour version's biggest winner) and a '50s Name That Tune (not the John Glenn one).  The one that "might" be on the list is a Gambit, but I thought the copyright date on it was 1976 and the site says 1975.
 [/quote]
 Interesting about Gambit. The episode I saw last summer didn't have closing credits (cut off right before the fee plugs), but the car mentioned was a 1976 Vega. Perhaps there's more than one episode?

AmazingErikZ

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2004, 03:18:45 PM »
It's been a long time since I've been to the one here in NYC. The minute I'm able to go back, I'll certainly go there. I have to get past my paranoid mother first, unfortunately.