Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks questions(both versions)  (Read 5968 times)

adamjk

Card Sharks questions(both versions)
« on: April 11, 2004, 11:16:11 AM »
First of all, on the original, why were two pilots shot? A friend of mine said, that the show might have needed more work even at the pilot stage. While that may be true, I am inclined to believe that it may have had something to do with the fact that on one of the pilots there was a $28,800 win. So as not to arouse suspicion of rigging the game to make it look good, they shot another. Am I right in saying this?

Also, was there ever a pilot shot for the Eubanks version? A friend of mine says he thinks there was, and even saw pics on a site somewhere, though he didn't recall where. Is this site still around by chance?

bricon

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 12:28:59 PM »
Also, was there ever a pilot shot for the Eubanks version?

Yes there was.

Regarding two (or more) pilots being shot, you want to have as many different outcomes of gameplay as possible, some of which may occur naturally, othertimes, with a little help from the producers :)  I've worked pilots that shot as few as one episode, and as many as five.  Another reason for this is sometimes a complete pilot will not be used for selling the show, but rather a compilation tape.  The more pilots you tape, the more choices of clips there are for a sales tape.

You can also just keep retaping elements of the game until you get what you want.  That's what happened at the Bob Stewart pilot of Get Rich Quick, which I saw being taped.  They played several bonus rounds in a row (apparently honest playing) until they got a good win, and several close losses.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 12:35:48 PM »
Also, was there ever a pilot shot for the Eubanks version?

The only pic I've come across is Eubanks with a different, older mic. Bad shading or brightness or whatever made the board look black, but I doubt it. So what were the differences?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 02:54:48 PM »
I always thought there was just one pilot shot for most shows.  In a 1979 TVGuide article, they're talking about game show producers and the new ideas they were working on.  In discussing "All Star Secrets", it stated that they had been been given a six-week deal, instead of the usual 13; and that they had to shoot two pilots, instead of the usual one.  Now that we all know different, maybe that's just what the writer of the article was told(?)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 03:59:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Apr 11 2004, 01:54 PM\'] I always thought there was just one pilot shot for most shows.  In a 1979 TVGuide article, they're talking about game show producers and the new ideas they were working on.  In discussing "All Star Secrets", it stated that they had been been given a six-week deal, instead of the usual 13; and that they had to shoot two pilots, instead of the usual one.  Now that we all know different, maybe that's just what the writer of the article was told(?) [/quote]
 If I remember correctly, the author of that article was Peter Funt.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Card Shark

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 04:06:08 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Apr 11 2004, 10:16 AM\'] First of all, on the original, why were two pilots shot? A friend of mine said, that the show might have needed more work even at the pilot stage. While that may be true, I am inclined to believe that it may have had something to do with the fact that on one of the pilots there was a $28,800 win. So as not to arouse suspicion of rigging the game to make it look good, they shot another. Am I right in saying this?

Also, was there ever a pilot shot for the Eubanks version? A friend of mine says he thinks there was, and even saw pics on a site somewhere, though he didn't recall where. Is this site still around by chance? [/quote]
 Yes, there were two pilots for CS 78. On one, the player in the bonus round busted at the big bet and in the second one, the player won the full $28,800. On a semi related note, I don't know how many different pilots were shot for MG '7x, but I have a pilot with the slate and Jonny O says it's pilot 'A'. Maybe someone in the know can say whether or not there was more than one pilot for this.
Adam Strom

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 05:29:08 PM »
Yes, there were two pilots for CS 78. On one, the player in the bonus round busted at the big bet and in the second one, the player won the full $28,800.

And one of the contestants on the 1st one was none other than GS pilot king Jack Campion, who also appeared on the pilots for:

Blank Check
J! (1st and 2nd pilots)
PYL
Second Chance

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

bulldog_06

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 11:22:13 PM »
Now, at the end of the Eubanks version of Card Sharks, I remember seeing the year of 1985 featured at the end credits. My question is: Did Card Sharks tape shows in 1985 and didn't show them till 1986? Is that correct? Because if memory serve me correctly, the premiere was Jan. 6, 1986, right?

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 11:26:58 PM »
[quote name=\'bulldog_06\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 10:22 PM\'] Now, at the end of the Eubanks version of Card Sharks, I remember seeing the year of 1985 featured at the end credits. My question is: Did Card Sharks tape shows in 1985 and didn't show them till 1986? Is that correct? Because if memory serve me correctly, the premiere was Jan. 6, 1986, right? [/quote]
 The first couple of weeks of shows of Eubanks CS were copyrighted 1985, and were taped in 1985, but not shown until January 1986.

Card Shark

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 07:07:19 AM »
[quote name=\'bulldog_06\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 10:22 PM\'] Now, at the end of the Eubanks version of Card Sharks, I remember seeing the year of 1985 featured at the end credits. My question is: Did Card Sharks tape shows in 1985 and didn't show them till 1986? Is that correct? Because if memory serve me correctly, the premiere was Jan. 6, 1986, right? [/quote]
 This would be the case because the show premiered January 6th and many game shows tape well in advance of air date. So, if the show premiered during the first few days of 1986, they probably taped their first few weeks of shows in December of 1985. TPIR's schedule varies. When I attended a 1/7/99 taping, it aired 2/18/99. These days, there seems to be less time between taping and airing towards the end of a TPIR season.
Adam Strom

ChuckNet

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 08:47:29 PM »
Now, at the end of the Eubanks version of Card Sharks, I remember seeing the year of 1985 featured at the end credits. My question is: Did Card Sharks tape shows in 1985 and didn't show them till 1986? Is that correct? Because if memory serve me correctly, the premiere was Jan. 6, 1986, right?

Correct...until a few yrs ago, it was standard policy for G-T shows to have a copyright date based on when the episode was taped, not aired.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")