Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another GSN annoyance  (Read 6846 times)

davemackey

Another GSN annoyance
« on: March 27, 2004, 01:58:59 AM »
Geez, now the commercial breaks aren't even sacred. Now GSN has seen fit to put up a one- or two-second ID BETWEEN COMMERCIALS. It's almost like a hiccup when your local spots don't start exactly on time on your local cable channels.

whampyl03

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 02:39:07 AM »
Aside from my second viewing of TWSOBJ, and a Tuesday episode of MG '7X, I've just realized that I practically haven't watched GSN all week.  

The network is just too annoying for me now. I've REALLY have had enough of that new and "exciting" graphics package.  That, and that new voice-over guy who does the promos and coming up next screens further adds to the annoyance.  It's really brought me to the breaking point.

Completely Off Topic: However, I have taken a greater liking to ESPNNEWS, though; It's starting to reduce the GSN-related pains a slight tad.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 12:35:27 AM by whampyl03 »

Fedya

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 02:32:22 PM »
whampyl03 wrote:
Aside from my second viewing of TWSOBJ, and a Tuesday episode of MG '7X, I've just realized that practically haven't watched GSN all week. 

TWSOBJ???

whampyl03 continued:
The network is just too annoying for me now. I've REALLY have had enough of that new and "exciting" graphics package.  That, and that new voice-over guy who does the promos and coming up next screens further adds to the annoyance.  It's really brought me to the breaking point.

Completely Off Topic: However, I have taken a greater liking to ESPNNEWS, though; It's starting to reduce the GSN-related pains a slight tad.

Odd that you'd find the new GSN voiceover guy irritating, but the constant screaming of highlights by ESPNEWS announcers doesn't bother you.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

BrandonFG

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 02:41:45 PM »
TWSOBJ???
The World Series of Blow J..... Black Jack.

Odd that you'd find the new GSN voiceover guy irritating, but the constant screaming of highlights by ESPNEWS announcers doesn't bother you.  :-)

The one thing I like about ESPNews is the fact that they allow the ticker to continue, even during commercial breaks.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 02:54:33 PM »
The one thing I like about ESPNews is the fact that they allow the ticker to continue, even during commercial breaks.
Advertisers have been resistant to that on the two main ESPN channels, and I just don't understand why.  As easy as it is to flip around during commercials, you'd think that anything designed to keep people around during your spots would be a good thing, even if it did distract ever so slightly from your message.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Fedya

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 11:20:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 27 2004, 02:54 PM\']
Advertisers have been resistant to that on the two main ESPN channels, and I just don't understand why.  As easy as it is to flip around during commercials, you'd think that anything designed to keep people around during your spots would be a good thing, even if it did distract ever so slightly from your message. [/quote]
 For what it's worth, DirecTV covers up the ticker during the "local" ad break when they insert their commercials for Dr. Greg Cynaumon and his take on the Pasta Pot, or that bald guy who thinks nobody knows how to use their computers.

Needless to say, the volume level also peaks during the local break.

catnap1972

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 11:03:31 PM »
Is it me or is GSN simply wasting time on some of the split screen endings?  Seems like I recall where they'll throw in a couple of station IDs just to burn the entire credit/fee plug space.

J.R.

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 11:07:56 PM »
I miss Winnie

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Winkfan

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 12:42:35 AM »
Is it me or is GSN simply wasting time on some of the split screen endings?  Seems like I recall where they'll throw in a couple of station IDs just to burn the entire credit/fee plug space.
Especially during the 'full-credit' roll on the show being aired at the time. Heck, I could do a better job doing voiceovers at the end of their B&WO shows. Here are some that I've come up with while watching B&WO.

To go with To Tell the Truth, Beat the Clock, and/or Password:
1.) "What will Richard, Brett, and Charles say next? Match Game, every evening at 6:30pm Eastern only on GSN!"

2.) "It's the ORIGINAL 'Whammy-busting' game show! Press Your Luck, weekends at 11:30am Eastern on GSN!"

3.) "Make the rounds with the ORIGINAL Hollywood Squares! Every weekday morning at 10:30am Eastern only on GSN!"*

To go with What's My Line:
1.) "Art class was never this much fun! Win, Lose or Draw, every evening at 7:00pm Eastern on GSN!"*

2.) "Join the Love Connection and catch the 'granddaddy' of today's dating shows! Every evening at 7:30pm Eastern on GSN!"

3.) "Whether it's Dawson or Combs, you're sure to get an hour of 'feuding fun!' Every day at 5:00pm Eastern of GSN!"

To go with I've Got A Secret:*
1.) "You'll always go bananas; even if you don't sit in the 'banana section.' Tattletales, every morning at 9:00am Eastern on GSN!"*

2.) "Are two heads really better than one? See for yourself. Blockbusters every morning at 10:00am Eastern on GSN!"

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Anitra Ford of the Big Board!'

(*if GSN was still running that show)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:28:42 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

gameshowguy2000

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 01:04:18 AM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' date=\'Mar 28 2004, 10:03 PM\'] Is it me or is GSN simply wasting time on some of the split screen endings?  Seems like I recall where they'll throw in a couple of station IDs just to burn the entire credit/fee plug space. [/quote]
They're definitely wasting their time. And what's worse, they're wasting their time with the split-screens, when they COULD BE using their promos in the background.

But Noooooo. They decided that that the best way to do promos is by doing it the Split-Screen way. Well, it's gonna hurt them in the long run rather than help them, I promise you that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 01:04:43 AM by gameshowguy2000 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 01:40:53 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Mar 28 2004, 11:04 PM\'] But Noooooo. They decided that that the best way to do promos is by doing it the Split-Screen way. Well, it's gonna hurt them in the long run rather than help them, I promise you that. [/quote]
 Do tell us why. You realize that 99% of GSN's viewership don't even NOTICE trivia like this, right?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 01:44:30 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 01:04 AM\'] [quote name=\'catnap1972\' date=\'Mar 28 2004, 10:03 PM\'] Is it me or is GSN simply wasting time on some of the split screen endings?  Seems like I recall where they'll throw in a couple of station IDs just to burn the entire credit/fee plug space. [/quote]
But Noooooo. They decided that that the best way to do promos is by doing it the Split-Screen way. Well, it's gonna hurt them in the long run rather than help them, I promise you that. [/quote]
 Perhaps, you could enlighten us with a better method?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2004, 02:31:13 AM »
GSN, if you're reading this:

HIRE TAMMY WARNER AS GSN VOICEOVER NOW !!!!!

Seriously, those were pretty good. But, if you were hired. What would you do if they made you do one for "Kenny vs. Spenny" ?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Fedya

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 01:21:31 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 02:31 AM\'] GSN, if you're reading this:

HIRE TAMMY WARNER AS GSN VOICEOVER NOW !!!!!

Seriously, those were pretty good. But, if you were hired. What would you do if they made you do one for "Kenny vs. Spenny" ?

-Joe R. [/quote]
 Who can destroy a low-budget cable network more quickly?  Find out on Kenny vs. Spenny, Thursdays at 10pm Eastern on GSN, the network for games.

:-p

uncamark

Another GSN annoyance
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2004, 05:07:51 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Mar 27 2004, 01:58 AM\']Geez, now the commercial breaks aren't even sacred. Now GSN has seen fit to put up a one- or two-second ID BETWEEN COMMERCIALS. It's almost like a hiccup when your local spots don't start exactly on time on your local cable channels.[/quote]
I had noticed it with the changeover and commented that it's similar to the "break bumpers" European channels run in and out of commercial breaks, even down to the one-second length and no sound.  In the old days, ITV used to slip the bumpers between commercials, but now it's just at the beginning and end of the break.